How big of a skid steer do I need

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cutler tree

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My partner and I are looking for a skidsteer to use for the tree business. How big should we get? I work in NE Ohio. Most of our trees are under 36" trunks. We will be using it to load wood,drag brush to the chipper, and clean up after stump grinding. I know we will use it but just wondering how big you are running.

Think about the areas you will be working in, what size trailer you want to haul. Also what you be lifting, 9' 30" oak logs? Or firewood length? My Dingo is perfect for us. We seldom take wood to the mill and then only softwood. We work in a lot of backyards. I use a 5,000 lb landscape trailer which hauls my SC252 and TX 425 nicely behind the F-450. A 10,000 lb trailer plus a loaded dump bed with 5,000lbs of firewood would be too hard on the truck in my opinion. I'd rather go easy and have my truck last. Iv'e lifted 46" Silver Maple rounds no problem. Good Luck

Mike

I am using a friends New Holland L465 which I believe is a 45hp machine but I could be wrong. I can't really complain about the power I was picking up and loading 10'x20" ash logs with it. That was right at it's tipping limit, a little shaky. I would like a bigger machine. I am leaning towards a ASV RC50 turf edition which is a little bit more powerful and fairly light weight. :cheers:

I would go with what your gut tells you!
There is wonderful justification for all sizes, they all have their advantages, just as they all have dis-advantages.
What do you really want? go with it.

I have found my Bobcat 743 is perfect. It weighs about 5000#, tips at around 2000#, 36hp. I use a grapple with it and can lift most of what I try to load on my trailer. For really large stuff I just cut the logs shorter - but is is rare to find an 8-10' log that I can't lift with what I deal with.

THe S130 is about the same machine, newer with a little more HP.

Larger skid steers have the following disadvantages (the advantages are pretty obvious):

- heavier equipment, harder to haul behind the truck
- larger machines/more HP burn more fuel
- larger machines damage the site more, deeper ruts, etc.
- larger machines have a harder time fitting through gates

There are times I want more muscle, but I just can't justify trading up when I consider the downsides of going larger.

My partner and I are looking for a skidsteer to use for the tree business. How big should we get? I work in NE Ohio. Most of our trees are under 36" trunks. We will be using it to load wood,drag brush to the chipper, and clean up after stump grinding. I know we will use it but just wondering how big you are running.

I'd say a machine like a S175-S185 Bobcat. 1750lb. to 1850lb. capcity. If your going to use the SS to grind stumps then a high flow would be better suited. I've used mine with a std. flow on a stump grinder and it is slow. I will do it but not very well.

Why get a skid steer at all? I can see getting a dingo, but for heavier duty, why not consider a small articulating wheel loader?
Just a thought.

Why get a skid steer at all? I can see getting a dingo, but for heavier duty, why not consider a small articulating wheel loader?
Just a thought.

Have you ever operated a skid steer? They are the most amazing piece of heavy equipment created by man. Being able to pivot in place - especially in the woods is unbelievably helpful.

Where are you at in NE Ohio? We'll be working on a big oak in Willoughby on Sat. We have a Bobcat mini and a Branch Manager. You're welcome stop by.
Phil

It all depends on what other equipment you have and the work being done. Price is a factor too. If you want an all around skid, then get a medium sized skid steer, like a S185/S200, or the equivalent New Hollland/Cat. They will get most jobs done. Do you do any land clearing? A big skid is the ticket them.

At my work, we have a couple cranes, so our work load is aimed at utilizing the crane or sending a regular crew to do pruning. We also do some lot clearing and need a big machine to move logs/wood chips around at the yard. So we have a Case 85xt and a coworker has a big new holland. lx885? The machines do a nice job they rarely ever come to a job site besides lot clearing jobs.

A mini is something that I would like to see in person before going that route. While it sounds like it might be a back saver for some jobs, it also sounds it could be pushed to its limits often. I only know of a ~3/4 companies around here that have them.

It may help to explore the comparative specifications, the following link lets you easily compare lift capacity, operating weight, width etc.

http://www.bobcat.com/loaders/comparemodels/skidsteer

For example you will find that once you go past the S130 (1300# lift, 2600# tip) the dimensions and weight jump to the next layer.

One of the best ways to try this is get a very old used one and figure out how you use it and what you need. They hold their resale value very well - you can typically resell a used skid steer for what you paid for it even after adding a few hundred hours to the meter.

Anything is better than nothing , but a skidder and a mini are ideal for me , I use the loader for the mower and the BIG and the mini on nice yards and in small gates , I have a 7753 and love it and a taskmaster and love it more ...

If I had to have one machine it would be in the 763, 773, S150-S185, LS175, JD 320, JD 250 class machine. Many of these machines feel compact like the 753's and can be made as narrow as a 753 by flipping the wheels yet they have a bit more lifting capacity and give a smoother ride. I do love my LX885 and you can't beat the cab on my 246C (but you don't really want/need the enclosed cab for tree work.)

Here is watcha need, easy on lawns and picks up impressive weights. Loaded this big Post Oak with no problem.

Bigger is always better! Guns, trucks, knives, outboard motors, skidsteers,...

i use a high flow s205 bobcat and its great i find new and amazing uses to make my life easier with it daily. in the hard to reach places instead of buying a mini loader wich can be well over 20k new i bought a 30hp john deer tractor with a frontloader on it for 15k out the door brand new. it has turf tires on it and weighs around 3k. you can take a it in a yard on rainy day and barley see where youd drove it. plus it also lifts like 3 times as much it will do 1500 pounds. 500 pound load compacity on a mini and the reach height where never justifyable for me. they wont reach over the tailgate on my trucks. you could probably get it on the gate but as far as pushing it forward and what not thiers alot of hand work involved.

0401091347.jpg

Have you ever operated a skid steer? They are the most amazing piece of heavy equipment created by man. Being able to pivot in place - especially in the woods is unbelievably helpful.

Oh yeah, great fun and very handy, and if the right one came along for the right price I doubt very much that I could pass it up.

However, I'd rather have a compact tractor or articulating compact wheel loader for tree work if I had my choice. They make more sense on the turf as well as load better and handle better, imho.

Used the Dingo to load 5 Big pine logs today. The largest was 26" and 8' long. Worked well. Had to lean on the back a little to balance it. Someday maybe a big open top chip truck with a grapple. That would be nice..... Mike

Latest posts

Back