How did I live without this tool?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had a peavey for years. Doesn't look like your picture, which is of a cant hook with t-prop.

Peavey has point in line with handle, like an extension thereof. Cant hook, like yours, has point perpendicular handle.

Nice try. :msp_rolleyes:

Recommended procedure: make multiple cuts in log; roll it 180 deg; finish cuts.

(Actually mine was a gift back when. Really would have preferred a cant hook, but who knew back then?)

The ones with the spike on the end were known as Peaveys back when I was a kid - didn't refer to the company but was the generic name used to refer to such a tool. I lost one up the the mountains - hope whoever found it got good use out of it. I think I still have one without the handle in the shop somewhere.

Harry K

Here is another tool, LOCKHART's FIREWOOD GRIPPER I bit the bullet and purchased two of them. What a life saver for me. I can haul two logs at a time just like carrying two five gallon buckets. I'm sure they have been discussed here but I thought I would throw this one out as a must have. They are also great for throwing rounds up onto the splitter. You can handle them just like a bail of hay.

Here is the link.

https://sites.google.com/site/lockhartsfirewoodgripper/home

Here is another tool, LOCKHART's FIREWOOD GRIPPER I bit the bullet and purchased two of them. What a life saver for me. I can haul two logs at a time just like carrying two five gallon buckets. I'm sure they have been discussed here but I thought I would throw this one out as a must have. They are also great for throwing rounds up onto the splitter. You can handle them just like a bail of hay.

Here is the link.

https://sites.google.com/site/lockhartsfirewoodgripper/home

I love it! Especially the part that said "Made in waUSAu!" Good ol' Wisconsin ingenuity!

Never used one. They look interesting. I know I haven't seen any in any hardware stores. I'd like to try one, see what they are good for. Or see a video of one in action. It's like bow bars on a chainsaw, never ran one, I have never seen one in the flesh so to speak, couldn't figure out what they were for, how and when to use them until I saw a video and read a little more about them.

My back is binary. Works fine/absolutely doesn't work, no middle ground. Been out most of the week, can't do much. Know I can't run a saw now or pick up any sort of round, even if I could picaroon it closer. Maybe one of these tools might help me avoid issues? Don't know. It doesn't go out on me doing normal work, it is just bending funny, reach down to pick up like nothing, a dropped whatever, or like the other day, just woke up in pain with some disks moved the wrong place or small rupture or something. Original accident was 12 ruptured, absolute teh suck.
Zog, highly recommend the Magnet Belt. Stiff ones work better for getting wood. Soft ones for around the house. Amazon.com has em cheap.

Just got my 5' Tenzaloy Peavey

My previous pickaroon was the round-handled 3' variety with the round pick. It worked great, but it always bothered me that the rubber grip would slide off. Workable, but not a particularly well engineered tool.

This new one from Peavey looks awesome, is super light (it feels lighter than my 3' pickaroon), and fits nicely in my truck's toolbox. The 5' reach is about right for my shorter pickup bed too (6.5' bed).

My wife still doesn't believe there is actually a tool called a "pickaroon." I threatened to call it a "hookaroon" in public if she doesn't believe me. (she thinks "hookaroon" sounds nasty)

$94.05; delivered.

My previous pickaroon was the round-handled 3' variety with the round pick. It worked great, but it always bothered me that the rubber grip would slide off. Workable, but not a particularly well engineered tool.

This new one from Peavey looks awesome, is super light (it feels lighter than my 3' pickaroon), and fits nicely in my truck's toolbox. The 5' reach is about right for my shorter pickup bed too (6.5' bed).

My wife still doesn't believe there is actually a tool called a "pickaroon." I threatened to call it a "hookaroon" in public if she doesn't believe me. (she thinks "hookaroon" sounds nasty)

$94.05; delivered.

I am sure you will appreciate the weight and reach. Hookaroon sounds fun......pickaroon sounds nasty.

how exactly is a pickeroon used? just wack o piece of wood with it and drag it away?

Exactly. Makes it much easier to unload a pickup of rounds/splits or to move stuff around on the ground. You don't have to bend over to pick it up if you can just hook it and drag it around.

Kind of like a dinner fork for firewood. (I really like food analogies)

I actually use mine for brush also. I am 6'1" about 260 so yea I'm kind of fat and I don't like bending over a lot so I use my pickeroon for making my arms longer. Why not.

Arm extension to roll or drag wood from the truck or trailer of course but I find it a great help to move the big stuff (24"-40") from one place to another in a combination of lifting, rolling, scooting, turning, and flipping from horizontal to vertical. Less back stress.

Exactly. Makes it much easier to unload a pickup of rounds/splits or to move stuff around on the ground. You don't have to bend over to pick it up if you can just hook it and drag it around.

Kind of like a dinner fork for firewood. (I really like food analogies)

Or, with rounds, just roll 'em along. Beats bending over to roll them hands down. Was unloadin PU this morning, batch of small 'no split needed' rounds in the front of the bed. Just stand up there, slam, toss behind, repeat, repeat, repeat and never bent over once until the bed was empty. Usually I try to make those small rounds land on the back ofthe bed, then crawl down and stack them from the tail gate.

Harry K

Arm extension to roll or drag wood from the truck or trailer of course but I find it a great help to move the big stuff (24"-40") from one place to another in a combination of lifting, rolling, scooting, turning, and flipping from horizontal to vertical. Less back stress.

Way less back stress/strain!!! Been said before "use one once and you'll kick your rear for not buying one 20 years ago".

Harry K

how exactly is a pickeroon used? just wack o piece of wood with it and drag it away?

Depends on the wood and its moisture content. You'll learn quickly.

Softer pieces (mainly the less dried) you can take your choice of end or angled into side. You adjust the speed of your swing to just drive it in enough. (You do have to remove it.)

Harder (drier) pieces for species like black locust especially, forget the end and angle it into the side.

Always keep your legs out of the line of fire. DAMHIKT

Just got a Stihl Pulp Hook today with the replaceable tip on it and it seems to do really good.

Latest posts

Back