How did you start?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brettl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
EDIT: Apparently I need to clarify. I DON'T bid jobs I don't know how to do. People that do that just to make money bug me too. Thanks again for any pointers. Feb 7
I want to expand the scope of jobs I can bid. I want to learn more about tree id, trimming and related subjects. The jobs I've been able to bid in the past have been limited somewhat by this lack of knowledge. I want to know how to trim trees to make them healthier, not just look better for now and make money on them.

I've talked to local tech schools and colleges and surprisingly, found no such courses. So to those of you in the business, how should I go about finding this education? Terminology that would help? I want hands-on but in the meanwhile, I know there are many books out there, what are some of the better ones? Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Maybe PDQDL will post,,I will say, google TCIA and ISA. Bidding jobs and not knowing your job and then come here and ask how to help you is something that bugs me. I need to put my kid gloves on, I got a couple in the fridge.
Jeff

Contact the conservation in your region. I know ours has a lot of info on tree ids and how to and what not to.

Maybe PDQDL will post,,I will say, google TCIA and ISA. Bidding jobs and not knowing your job and then come here and ask how to help you is something that bugs me. I need to put my kid gloves on, I got a couple in the fridge.
Jeff

Bugs me too, Jeff...
.........but........if the internet and Arboristsite had been around 30 years ago I would have been posing the same question.
I was Brett. Except I didn't own a computer, didn't know any tree guys, etc, etc.
(I eventually located and paid to take a correspondence course "Mature Tree Care" offered by the extension service of the University of Guelph. (Ontario). Prestigious university; has a good rep.....so the course should be good. Wrong!!!. Info presented was probably Best Management Practices circa 1950.)
I'd like to think Brett's situation is less forgivable now, than my ignorance then. I dunno. I'm still paying my dues. Penance for the arboricultural sins of my past.

Thanks Greg and Pelorus. But Jeff. Bugs you? Tough, and to hell with your kid gloves. Take em off and say what you want or start a conversation and we'll both say what we want. But if you'll notice, I said I don't bid jobs I know are to much for me. I've never bid a job I didn't know exactly how to do. Got to start somewhere and I thought this the forum for individuals new to the business and seeking help learning the basics. I guess I got that from the forum description that says this is the place for individuals new to the business and seeking help learning the basics.:confused: If you're to good for us individuals new to the business, don't bother posting in my thread. To the rest of you, I welcome and appreciate any feedback you may make. I'm not looking for somebody to hold my hand or tell me how to do a specific job. Just a few pointers on places to seek education.

Thanks again to Greg and Pelorus.

I started dragging brush 18 years ago at Asplundh right after i graduated from high school. After dragging brush for 2 years i started climbing and climbed at Asplundh for 2 years, i needed a change of scenery from line clearance and got a job for a great company where i am now and been climbing there for 14 years and on Monday i was offered a salary position as an operations manager (i won't get an Escalade like Jeff).

Sent from my Autotune Carb

Awesome resource Pelorus! Arboritecture, a word in that link, is one I'd not heard before. Thank you. Hey KenJax. I've given serious thought to going to work for a company like Asplundh or another local arborist with a good reputation. I've hesitated over it because of the money I make now is so much more than I'd be making for wages. I've been doing tree removals, taking deadwood out of trees, and other easy work. Taking the future into consideration, I think it might be the wise thing to do. Learn all I can and then I can always come back to my own business when I choose. Thanks for the tips.

Jeff
At least he asked politely and didn't try to snow everybody with what he knows. That was kind of a refreshing change from some of the recent posters.

Learned to prune, drag brush etc...with my old man and grandpa. They started out in Ohio in the early 1950s. Now we live in Montana and run a small 2-3 man crew. I worked out of the back of my grand prix for 2 years, senior year in highschool and the year after. Now got bucket truck, chip truck, chipper etc...couldent really see myself doing anything else except being a photographer for sports illustrated swimsuit issues.

Yeahbuddy! I'd pay them to let me do that job!!!:) No better way to get started than working with family. I'd like to haave worked with one of my grandfathers on any type of job. Working from the back of your car to owning a bucket truck and all, inspiring story and thumbs up for the effort leading to your success.:clap:

Thanks Greg and Pelorus. But Jeff. Bugs you? Tough, and to hell with your kid gloves. Take em off and say what you want or start a conversation and we'll both say what we want. But if you'll notice, I said I don't bid jobs I know are to much for me. I've never bid a job I didn't know exactly how to do. Got to start somewhere and I thought this the forum for individuals new to the business and seeking help learning the basics. I guess I got that from the forum description that says this is the place for individuals new to the business and seeking help learning the basics.:confused: If you're to good for us individuals new to the business, don't bother posting in my thread.

Brett,,I have been here a long time and even before that. The reason I responded as I did is because I have been there and also have seen wannabe's come here. I am really sorry if I hurt your feeling's.
BTW, I have never been banned from here. I got thick skin, I probably piss off some, but I will say what what I feel.
BTW, I am a really nice guy!
Jeff :D

Awesome resource Pelorus! Arboritecture, a word in that link, is one I'd not heard before. Thank you. Hey KenJax. I've given serious thought to going to work for a company like Asplundh or another local arborist with a good reputation. I've hesitated over it because of the money I make now is so much more than I'd be making for wages. I've been doing tree removals, taking deadwood out of trees, and other easy work. Taking the future into consideration, I think it might be the wise thing to do. Learn all I can and then I can always come back to my own business when I choose. Thanks for the tips.

Hi Brett,

I would suggest this option, find a local arborist (a successful one) that needs an extra groundsman/climber say two days per week, work with him and observe carefully how he does the business in all aspects from climbing/rigging through to customer relations etc. If you pick the right guy he will be more than happy to let you pick his brain. That way you can still keep your business in operation and learn at the same time. This is what I did and found its a really good balance, best of both worlds you could say. Apart from that I think building alliances with good local operators is invaluable if only for information sharing (like AS) at the local level. Good Luck

Thanks Tidy, that's good advice and something I've considered for the last 3 years or so. I keep trying to weigh what I'm doing now against how many more jobs I could bid if my knowledge in the business was better rounded. I know it's obvious that the extra knowledge would serve me well. It's just hard to slow down even a little and break away from what I'm doing.

I started off wanting to learn the Latin for my home trees and how to better care for a grand willow.

Part time brush dragger every Friday for the last few years and learning everything I can about horticulture. Bug ID, tree diseases and proper pruning management. Now I am up in the trees training. Goal this year is to gain expertise in rope access rescue and continue mastering rigging operations.

Almost tempted to give up the day job.

Back