How do I check to see if the on/off switch works?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneStaple

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Is there a good way to check if a on/off switch is working or not without just running it on the saw?

I started my Stihl 051 for the first time yesterday after restoring it, and I'm pretty sure the switch doesn't work (as in, the saw kept going when I switched to "off"). Luckily, it was still idling rough, so doing half-choke quickly killed it. I guess I could have taken the spark plug cap off too.

But I have another switch laying around and would like to know if it works before I put it on, start it, and then have to sit there stratching my head trying to figure out how to turn it back off. I assume these just ground out the ignition somehow.

Thanks,
Tyler

Just take your Fluke and test the continuity (see if it will conduct electricity) with the switch in the "on" and "off" position. Real straight forward.

A fluke is nice to have, especially with the audible. but any multimeter with an ohm reading will work fine for you if you are just checking the switch.

Is there a good way to check if a on/off switch is working or not without just running it on the saw?

I started my Stihl 051 for the first time yesterday after restoring it, and I'm pretty sure the switch doesn't work (as in, the saw kept going when I switched to "off"). Luckily, it was still idling rough, so doing half-choke quickly killed it. I guess I could have taken the spark plug cap off too.

But I have another switch laying around and would like to know if it works before I put it on, start it, and then have to sit there stratching my head trying to figure out how to turn it back off. I assume these just ground out the ignition somehow.

Thanks,
Tyler

You can check a grounding type switch with a multi meter tester set at 2000 ohms resistance, one probe touching the tang where the wire plugs on and the other lead touching the frame where the lock ring threads on. If there is a flow of electricity shown by a movement of the needle or if its digital it will register out to 000,flip the switch and see if the readings change. Also a battery and a probe light like the ones used on auto`s hooked up with two leads ,one to ground -one to positive. A small light bulb in a socket with two leads will work in place of a probe tester. I f the light comes on with the switch in one position switch it the other way and if the light goes out the switch works. Pioneerguy600

Put it to off, hold the plug wire and pull the cord.

Put it to on, hold the plug wire and pull the cord.

If you get shocked once, it works.

Fred

Thanks for the replies guys. I figured it was probably pretty simple, but didn't know how the switch grounded out. I actually took it apart and found out that the switch works, but it didn't have a good connection where the cable went in. The metal connector had slid down and wasn't in contact with the inner parts of the switch, but the rubber boot that covers the connection made it look like it was connected correctly.

Thanks,
Tyler

Fred

That's what I do, works fine. I also pull the plug while doing this...otherwise you get a chainsaw in the shins.

Fred

I remember once riding my motorcycle to school one rainy day and looking down and thinking the spark plug cap looked loose. Before my better sense stopped me I reached down (while driving down the road in traffic) and went to wiggle that cap.

Bad idea. I was lucky to get to school intact except for my pride that day.

Funny how there are somethings you do exactly one time.

Last edited:
My uncle ask my aunt (his wife) to hold the compression gauge in the spark plug hole once while he hand cranked the car over (it did not have electric start). The spark plug wire was touching her arm when he turned the engine over.

She won't help him work on cars anymore.

i found that the on/off switch of my 051 could move slightly in the mount hole. if your switch is oriented such that up(towards the bar) is off, try to loosen the retaining nut and slide the switch towards the handle and retighten. this gives the switch a little bit of extra travel to operate properly.

dave

I remember once riding my motorcycle to school one rainy day and looking down and thinking the spark plug cap looked loose. Before my better sense stopped me I reached down (while driving down the road in traffic) and went to wiggle that cap.

Bad idea. I was lucky to get to school intact except for my pride that day.

Funny how there are somethings you do exactly one time.

One would think so but I am living proof that once is not enough. LOL Pioneerguy600

Back