How do i go about cutting this wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah i guess i could run that by her, but shes pretty stingy.. and she got the wood that we already cut and split for free off her land so im thinking she might not part with it unless she sells it for a good price. it i all birch that she left on the ground for a year, but birch does not dry well without the bark off or it being split so its not very good wood to burn, i doubt she will get top dollar for it.
White birch ? Nope. Tough sell. I burn it fine, but it's down on the BTU chart with Cherry and, like you said, it doesn't keep well.
Hey, if she's paying you to work go for it. Just be safe. She's not gonna pay to fix your tools or pay medical bills.

White birch ? Nope. Tough sell. I burn it fine, but it's down on the BTU chart with Cherry and, like you said, it doesn't keep well.
Hey, if she's paying you to work go for it. Just be safe. She's not gonna pay to fix your tools or pay medical bills.

maybe i will use her tools, she has a little homelite, but its old and has no chain brake, and she has a weird no name brand from i don't know where. i think it said like power horse or something on the side of it, using those would take 10 times longer though, but = more pay.

Build a sawbuck, toss in an armload of wood and saw away. You should be able to do a cord in a couple hours. Depending on the size of the split wood a chopsaw could work also, lots more cutting since you can only do one piece at a time though. Good luck.

Build a sawbuck, toss in an armload of wood and saw away. You should be able to do a cord in a couple hours. Depending on the size of the split wood a chopsaw could work also, lots more cutting since you can only do one piece at a time though. Good luck.

what exactly is a saw buck? im new to the chainsaw world, don't know all the technical terms yet :msp_tongue:

Tell her the 22" logs will work perfect, just keep the door open..:msp_sneaky:

what exactly is a saw buck? im new to the chainsaw world, don't know all the technical terms yet :msp_tongue:

The google-fu is weak in this one....seriously though, google it and see. You basically make a couple of X's out of lumber to hold your work material, I would build three X's, fasten them together, drop your 22" logs in and saw away. Good luck.

If she really wants it done, using the sawbuck will be your safest and easiest way to go. It will take time but you will be making money it sounds like.

use the all new JAWSAW its totally safe lol :laugh:
its gunna be a tough job i hope ya work somthing out mate

If I had to do it I'd do it like this. Except I wouldn't use a POS Stihl like this guy.

[video=youtube;S1jGmFgfNBo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1jGmFgfNBo[/video]

If she really wants it done, using the sawbuck will be your safest and easiest way to go. It will take time but you will be making money it sounds like.

yeah that does seem to be the safest way thanks for the idea! id say there is roughly 4 cords so im sure it will take a full work day to get it done and re stacked, so at least 8 hours at 10/hour is 80 bucks, but shes paying 2 of us so that's $160 to her.

If I had to do it I'd do it like this. Except I wouldn't use a POS Stihl like this guy.

[video=youtube;S1jGmFgfNBo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1jGmFgfNBo[/video]

wow that guy wasn't messing around, but the biggest saw i have available is my pro mac 610 and my friend just bought a husky 266 se today.

yeah that does seem to be the safest way thanks for the idea! Id say there is roughly 4 cords so im sure it will take a full work day to get it done and re stacked, so at least 8 hours at 10/hour is 80 bucks, but shes paying 2 of us so that's $160 to her.

i would tell her to bump it up to $12 an hour

Get 8 metal "T" posts and drive them in the ground in a rectangular pattern. That way you have 4 posts on each side leaving 2 posts to support each 11" section and keep them from flying back on you as you cut through. Width of your holding apparatus dependa on how long your bar is. I'd do 16" for an 18" bar and so on. Stack the wood in and a single pas will cut them. Leave the bottom row to prevent grounding your blade. I will attempt a diagram but I am om my phone so if it doesn't look like a rectangle then it was lost in translation.

T. T. C. T. T
U
T
Wood. Here
H
E
R
T. T. E. T. T

Dang auto punctuation put periods and can't delete them but you get the picture.

Ok the diagram didn't post the same as I laid it out. Damn phone! You'll figure it out. Hell i'd tell her toget a bigger stove!

Sawbuck is the way to go here. You'll get it done as quickly and safely as possible.

Sawbuck for limb wood - TractorByNet.com

Something like this.

I made one a couple years ago when I had a whole mess of branches to deal with...took a pair of matching pallets, knocked the flat boards off one haf of each one, criss-crossed them into an X and screwed it together. Looked a lot like this, you get the idea.

sawbuck.jpg

Pallets was my first thought, didn't want to sound to redneck, plus some people think they are impossible to come by. Nice work mayhem100.

Latest posts

Back