HOW do they make any $$$

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tree work is a front for organized crime to move money sometimes. Hard to tell if a company is such a front, they are set up so that even the .gov can't figure it out.

Mr. HE:cool:

Any owner who is fool enough to be doing that right now is not long for this world and I would wonder how he ever got in his position to begin with.

I agree but it was the only logical explanation I could think of. Paying all his workers to be out there that long when it should have been a fast job is also a quick way in to the used equipment business.

theres a landscaper that i used to sub for till i found out he was under bidding everybody. took him 3 times longer to every job. always had at least 5-6 guys under me. this is the best part, one day he sees my chain and asks me all wide eyed how and why my chain was so short. turns out they didnt even know that you could sharpen saw chain. They were running the dullist chains youve ever seen. I never knew cuz when I do sub work I bring my own saws. Remembering what the old man told me when I first stared out "Its hard to compete against an idiot".

Don't forget the big box tree companies whose salesmen sell magical flowery jobs only to be staffed by 1 and 2 year group of green men.

Don't forget the big box tree companies whose salesmen sell magical flowery jobs only to be staffed by 1 and 2 year group of green men.

My dad built such a good reputation, that the care of trees will hire anyone I let go. So far theyve picked up at least 2 guys I got rid of because I didnt think they were suited for the work. Last I hear one of them is a climbing crew leader. Go figure.

If you launder money through your company amazing things can happen. There is a company in my area that is doing so. For $1200 the police station got 12 massive pines removed by 5 guys, BB 1990, 30 ton crane, and bucket over a day and a half. They are a bunch of hacks that have just the slightest clue as how to stay alive at work.

found out about the $$

Rang the doorbell yesterday and talked to the owner, a new neighbor. Really nice guy, with 9 month old baby. Told me the tree job was $2000, including stump... That is 7 men, crane, bucket, skid loader, dump truck, chip truck and chipper, for over 12 hours, & wood and chip disposal. And moved the stump grindings out of the hole, whough not a great clean up there...

The the homeowner told me he knew the company owner from high school and the guy charged him an extra $500 because the stump grinder hit a "metal pole" that the tree had grown around and he had to replace the teeth... So the it ended up costing him $2500 total....
I kept my mouth shut...

Last edited:
forget about the equipment that is about 28$ man hour if say 6 man hours for disposal of debris and wood after gone.

Not the ho's fault but what a stinker for everyone that sells work in the area and people he talks to.

Daniel, I'm from the Willow Grove area, but have come across you at climbing competitions & ISA events. I was just curious if the company that did that job was Monster Tree Service?

They probably conned your nice neighbor who doesn't know the true value of treework into all that work. Crane work here goes for 170/hr minimum 6 hrs.

Maybe the business owner wanted to get his money's worth out of the crane since they usually don't come out for a couple hours and if they do you have to pay them for a minimum 6.

The more people on site the more he can charge the homeowner. What a snake. It's a shame.

I am taking down 5 50' pines with about 5 tops on each of them, and a maple for 800$ in two weeks. Can anyone say honestly that that is overbidding a job?

:buttkick: I used to sell watermelons from the back of a pick-up truck. I would pay $2.00 ea. and sell them at $2.00 ea. Man, I would sell out in no time. Then one customer asked me " how do you make a profit"?. I thought about it and the next day I went out and bought a 45ft. semi-trailer and tractor. Then I went back to the same field and had them fill the trailer with $2.00 watermelon.The same worried customer stopped and bought 2 watermelon at $2.00 ea. from the semi-trailer. He then noticed my larger truck and once again asked me, "how do you make a profit". I thought about his question and answered with one simple word " VOLUME "!!!!!! :jawdrop:

I'd say. That's about $130 ea.

Why wouldn't 5 pines have 5 tops on them? or have I misunderstood?

5 different leaders. And who can tell how much its worth from the info supplied so far? BUT from that info I do gather the job is for a friend... a very close friend.

:buttkick: I used to sell watermelons from the back of a pick-up truck. I would pay $2.00 ea. and sell them at $2.00 ea. Man, I would sell out in no time. Then one customer asked me " how do you make a profit"?. I thought about it and the next day I went out and bought a 45ft. semi-trailer and tractor. Then I went back to the same field and had them fill the trailer with $2.00 watermelon.The same worried customer stopped and bought 2 watermelon at $2.00 ea. from the semi-trailer. He then noticed my larger truck and once again asked me, "how do you make a profit". I thought about his question and answered with one simple word " VOLUME "!!!!!! :jawdrop:

wait a minute.Huh? Oh that's funny. I did better than that though, my melons cost 3

5 different leaders. And who can tell how much its worth from the info supplied so far? BUT from that info I do gather the job is for a friend... a very close friend.

Actually, my business is 4 months old, going on 5. I am trying to make a good name for myself in the area by bidding as low as I can but at the same time paying my employees, maintaining equipment, and paying my own bills.

I met the person as I was bartering for a plow with his neighbor, the guy wanted 2 100' pines taken down surrounded by powerlines within a minimum approach of 2'4". I declined that I would rather buy the plow then have the utility company in my area hate me before I really get going. He then said, "Well, my neighbor wants an estimate let's take a walk over there." He introduced me, and I gave him an offer that no one around could beat and I am going to show him a good display of my skills and how hard my groundmen work. He signed the contract on the spot. It will take us half a day and I'll earn 300$ approximately for myself.

Once demand for my services goes up so will the price. But times are tough for everyone and I have condolences for anyone with pine on there property so by giving me the work and keeping my crew busy I'd love to get rid of some more pines. My goal is to cut them all down in the world one at a time! ha

I'd say. That's about $130 ea.

Why wouldn't 5 pines have 5 tops on them? or have I misunderstood?

Right, each pine has atleast 3 leads, one of them has 5 leads. (I am sure everyone knows that most pine leads grow straight up and I'd say 60% of them that I have seen don't spread like hardwood) My fault for not clarifying

Actually, my business is 4 months old, going on 5. I am trying to make a good name for myself in the area by bidding as low as I can but at the same time paying my employees, maintaining equipment, and paying my own bills.

I met the person as I was bartering for a plow with his neighbor, the guy wanted 2 100' pines taken down surrounded by powerlines within a minimum approach of 2'4". I declined that I would rather buy the plow then have the utility company in my area hate me before I really get going. He then said, "Well, my neighbor wants an estimate let's take a walk over there." He introduced me, and I gave him an offer that no one around could beat and I am going to show him a good display of my skills and how hard my groundmen work. He signed the contract on the spot. It will take us half a day and I'll earn 300$ approximately for myself.

Once demand for my services goes up so will the price. But times are tough for everyone and I have condolences for anyone with pine on there property so by giving me the work and keeping my crew busy I'd love to get rid of some more pines. My goal is to cut them all down in the world one at a time! ha

I think it sounds good. Nice goal, uhm, good luck with that?:greenchainsaw:

Back