HOW do they make any $$$

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am trying to make a good name for myself in the area by bidding as low as I can but at the same time paying my employees, maintaining equipment, and paying my own bills.

the name you will make for yourself is the cheap new guy that is ruining the tree industry in your area, I have seen them come and go and the ones with above business model either run themselves dry or get run out of town. There may be hits out on ya already.

tree work is not a just getting by paying the bills job. it is a high risk, highly skilled, high overhead(if ran properly) business. Just paying your bills is not the name of this game. Make a thick profit with trees or go cut grass.

the name you will make for yourself is the cheap new guy that is ruining the tree industry in your area, I have seen them come and go and the ones with above business model either run themselves dry or get run out of town. There may be hits out on ya already.

tree work is not a just getting by paying the bills job. it is a high risk, highly skilled, high overhead(if ran properly) business. Just paying your bills is not the name of this game. Make a thick profit with trees or go cut grass.

And this is the exact reason he has the ability to undercut. If he's doing the same job you do and able to do it for cheaper, he gets the job. Period. High overhead if run properly? What does that mean? He's probably doing the same job with less equipment and paying his guys less. Ruining the biz? here we go again ....

+100 :clap::clap::clap:

I'm not cut throating. I am just trying to get started. Keep in mind my business has been open 4 months. The companies surrounding me have been in business for years. The newest aside from mine is 4 years old. I have been a trimmer for much time and I have been removing hazards from RI to MA for a few years now.

I can't even quit my day job that's how low my customer base is. Nothing repeat yet but I've been praised at every job I've done and earned some word of mouth. Well I wasn't "praised" at my very first job but that was because I told the homeowner I'd do this that and everything else even though I didn't contract it. I went there to drop a willow, and chip the brush from an ice storm. I threw in a free stumpgrinding, free trimming of all the other damaged trees (6 of them), I told him I'd remove a huge pile of brush from years of him just stacking it, and then I broke my wrist and pelvis. Let's just say I did everything I said I was going to even though it wasn't in writing but it took longer then we expected because of everything being buried under 4 feet of snow. Even though the work got done I don't think he'll be calling me back in. Man, I sure did learn a lesson that weekend.

Wow I didn't read 4 posts up before the last. I didn't realize I was getting hated on. Take it easy guys I'm opting out of this thread before I get murdered.

just bid accordingly man. whatever you feel is fair add at least 500 and you might be getting close to the actual number needed. good luck out there.

Wow I didn't read 4 posts up before the last. I didn't realize I was getting hated on. Take it easy guys I'm opting out of this thread before I get murdered.

Don't let the primadonas get you down. If you make money doing what you do and the customers are happy, you're doing a good job. Look around the site. Some of these guys that are so "great " at what they do sit home all day and take pictures of people working asking "how do they make money?". Easy, they get off their asses and go to work! Some of these guys think they have cornered the market in their areas and feel their prices are the best they can be. WRONG. Someone else, especially in this economy, can do it for less and is willing to bend his price. All the expertise and wisdom of how to cut a tree down doesn't help if you're unwilling to go to work and use your knowledge. Neighbors in some of these threads have hired others instead of some of these guys in here. Gee, I wonder why? I actually work for free fo my neighbors and that word of mouth gets around like wild fire. Not that I'm cheap but that I'm a good guy willing to go to work. Keep up the good work M.Green-SVTS and stay safe. Whatever you're doing is working.

capetrees,

the guy said he is happy with a $300 profit. How can a properly run tree company run on a $300 day profit? I could work for someone else making $300 a day. Heck I would cut grass and work just as long with less expense and risk and make that. TREE WORK DESERVES GREAT PAY/PROFIT Most of his profit should be putt back into the company since he's a start up. At minimal profit he wont be able to buy a chipper and a decent truck. He will be stuck in a rut and ruin the value in tree care for his area. The tree care industry should have no tolerance for those who devalue our occupations.

and then I broke my wrist and pelvis.

I would help my neighbors with anything but not my profession. Where do you draw the line as to who to give it away to...nbors, close friends, family, advocates, business associates, etc.?

Giving away your profession is silly.

How'd you break your wrist and pelvis? Man a broken pelvis (and even wrist) seem like nearly a permanent disability to a treeman.

I wish I could afford to run around worrying about other tree services.
garfieldhangover.jpg

I used to be based in NJ and have fam in NJ. You usually get the weather we get the next day. It was supposed to rain here all day. Turned out to be just a sprinkle in the am.

Equipment is everything but like said, you have to build up to using it.

You get the pick up, add a chipper, add a dump, add a picker, get a bigger truck and chipper, add a used truck crane, need a wood truck, mini skids, dump trailers, stumpers, buy it all. If you can make good purchases you are not in the rat race anymore. And with time comes you become the old sage (in their minds) for just surviving it all. You accumulate clients the low ballers can't touch.

I don't mean to sound loco but if NJ sunk into the abyss I would never miss it one bit. That was the most unfriendly place I had ever been, my wife had to stop me several times as I was about to give hospitality lessons.

I would help my neighbors with anything but not my profession. Where do you draw the line as to who to give it away to...nbors, close friends, family, advocates, business associates, etc.?

Giving away your profession is silly.

How'd you break your wrist and pelvis? Man a broken pelvis (and even wrist) seem like nearly a permanent disability to a treeman.

I find it nearly impossible to give deals to anyone, I just get to the bid, and like a machine look at the trees and see $$. Doesnt matter, friends, relatives, whoever. I cant help myself.

I find it nearly impossible to give deals to anyone, I just get to the bid, and like a machine look at the trees and see $$. Doesnt matter, friends, relatives, whoever. I cant help myself.
In todays world you can't. Wouldn't it be nice if we could?
garfieldhangover.jpg

I work for immediate family for free and help an elderly neighbor out delivering and splitting firewood for free, that's it. I still don't see how someone can make it charging a hundred dollars a tree??? I mean on the job I mentioned I charged $150 for two of the pines but they were about 13 feet tall. Hell you can't get someone to haul away that much anything for a hundred bucks, let alone the fact that you are using thousands of dollars worth of equipment that most folks don't own to do it with.

Hey charge what you want but if your letting your customers whip you like that, working for basic climbers pay and getting seriously hurt in the process I can't see you making it long.

I'd rather work for someone else and have them deal with the headache and liability.

In todays world you can't. Wouldn't it be nice if we could?
garfieldhangover.jpg

I suppose yer right...but only to a point. I aint working for nothing either, I've worked to hard to get to where I am. But I'll go a little easier on em this year. Most things so far have been referal, so I dont have to go too easy.

I busted my a$$ last year (during the season) so this year I think I'll just take it easy, enjoy the work and go with the flow. Kind of nice for a change. I've got enough equipment to satisfy myself for awhile, besides I'll always survive in the season. Winter is another story, always thinking about that...

If it really heats up I'll be ready for war though.

I can be cheap or even sometimes free for friends and family I guess, if involves polesawing up a few trees and I don't have to haul it.

But yeah if I need my help and chipper truck it's another story. Or if I think I will need a shower and Advil when we're done.

What kills me is when a friend says I'll help you do this, I need to get this done. But then they run in and out of the house helping the wife do crap that could wait. Or walking off talking to people on the phone.

I've been known to load my gear up and leave in the middle of friends charity jobs. With a call wondering where I went. I just explain, you seemed so busy, so I left.

Last edited:
How much you charge depends on your overhaed. I am not defending cheap tree work but everyones operation is different. I myself have to charge at least 100 an hour. Thats bottom figure. But then again all my equipment is paid for. In the end, I would definatly not take down 5 pines and a maple for 800. Well mabey if i could notch and drop with no cleanup. I love those jobs. Quick easy money.

Latest posts

Back