How do y'all your saws so clean???!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Air hose, first to get rid of most dust and chips, then brushed/scrubbed on mineral spirits in a parts washer. Blow dry with air hose , then wipe down plastic parts with Armor All.

compressed air, work very very good, especially with a long extension on the blow gun to get into tight places.

cleaning

what about cleaning in side the oil tank? i got a 610 and looks like someone used old nasty drain oil. i tried some gas and sloshed it around but there is still a lot, i'm going to try a water bottle with a sport tip with gas, or a oil quart with a screw on funnel tip. Awesome and 160* h20 to clean the removable parts works good for me.

Well after trying the air hose method I have to say that it work pretty amazing with the follow up wiping of a clean rag my saw is spotless:)

Gasoline

I USE GASOLINE WITH A PAINT BRUSH AND A PARTS WASHER BRUSH FROM HARBOR FREIGHT, GETS EVERY LAST SPEC OF DIRT OUT,ITS A NASTY JOB BUT SOMEONE HAS TO DO IT,I USE BLUE NITRILE GLOVES SO I DON'T STINK LIKE GAS FOR A WEEK, BLOW OFF PARTS WITH COMPRESSED AIR,THEN THE PLASTIC GOES IN THE PARTS WASHER DILUTED WITH SIMPLE GREEN,THEN I USE TIRE WET OR ANY OF THOSE PRODUCTS TO BRING THE COLOR BACK TO LIFE, WORKS EVERY TIME!IF YOU REALLY WANT YOUR SAW CLEAN TRY IT!:hmm3grin2orange:

A lot of good advise here. Tearing the saw down helps a ton. I've also found a set of dental style picks invaluable in the process, they reach into all the nooks an crannys that a brush just wont get. I bought a set at harbor freight for $3 and they are worth their weight in gold.

After tear down the saws we build go it a 20 gallon parts washer with Mean Green in it. We soak a lot of stuff overnight and small parts then go in an ultrasonic cleaner with undiluted Mean Green.

i just put fuel lines on my 440 the other day and while i was doin it i decided to tear the handle and everthing off and clean it up...and boy am i glad i did it was filthy used a stiff brush and compressed air....

if im doin a full rebuild ill soak everthing in simple green overnight works like a charm oooh and dont forget to rinse with water afterwards as it is hard on aluminum if left to dry

Back