How do you carry your firewood tools?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memory

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
What do you all use to transport all your firewood tools to the field? I have been using a Dewalt tool bag but as I have been accumulating more tools over the years, that bag is getting to be a little small. I was looking for a hard case of some sort.

TSC has a large plastic Dewalt toolbox for $35, http://www.tractorsupply.com//Produ...View&parent_category_rn=&urlLangId=&langId=-1. The only thing I don't think I would like is it has no pouches for the small stuff like files and whatnot. I thought about getting a larger tool bag of some kind but was really wanting a hard case.

I was just looking for suggestions as to what everybody on here uses.

What do you all use to transport all your firewood tools to the field? I have been using a Dewalt tool bag but as I have been accumulating more tools over the years, that bag is getting to be a little small. I was looking for a hard case of some sort.

TSC has a large plastic Dewalt toolbox for $35, http://www.tractorsupply.com//Produ...View&parent_category_rn=&urlLangId=&langId=-1. The only thing I don't think I would like is it has no pouches for the small stuff like files and whatnot. I thought about getting a larger tool bag of some kind but was really wanting a hard case.

I was just looking for suggestions as to what everybody on here uses.

I put everything (2 saws, tools, PPE, oil, etc) in one of these, which I picked up last year. I like it, but it does not have any dividers or pockets.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/king-kong-mobile-all-purpose-job-box

I mounted a chainsaw carrier to my tractor and I outfitted a Carry All with a drawbar and made a platform for it. The wedges, files, guides, spare chains and other hand tools are in a large Rubbermaid tool box similar to the one you show in the link.

We have a carry all as well but not as nice as that one. I like that carrier for the chainsaw. Normally we do not use the tractor when cutting wood since we cut at different locations off the farm.

I have all kinds of small stuff that I carry to the field. Let's see I have a pair of knee pads, ear muffs, can of paint, measuring stick, mingo marker, several files and guides, several spare chains, wedges, screnches, can't think of anything else right now.

I carry a real small backpack, kind of a pouch thing with an over the shoulder strap. It holds 1 quart of baroil, 3 gatorade bottles of mixed fuel and a scrench. This works great for walking around the bush and precutting limbs off treetops to pull out later when I have the tractor and help there. I can carry the pouch over my shoulder and still limb tops so it saves me time from setting it down and having to walk back to it.

milk crate for me as well. things that go in the milk crate are: thermos, tow strap, chain, wedges, hatchet, oil, gloves, hat, extra chains, files, etc.

I have a FatMax toolbox -- Lowe's now sells them under the Bostich brand name.

Wedges, flagging tape, hatchet, screnches, chains, spark plugs and spare parts, chalk, carpenters rulers, yadda, yadda, yadda. Has a tray up top, and I put a small plastic box in the bottom to help divide stuff up.

PB080943_small.jpg

To near the tree, I use a regular small toolbox for files, etc, and plastic crates for like ropes/chains/comealong, hatchet etc. Once walking around, all the stuff I need is in my pockets, wedges in the wedge pocket on cutting pants, scrench in another pocket, etc. I usually don't cut too far from where the tractor is though, no real need. When I walk to the tree, axe in one hand, fueled up saw in another, rest of what I might need in my pockets. I don't always but *sometimes* carry extra mix in a quart trufuel can in one jacket pocket and a quart of bar oil in another. normally though in between tanks that is a good excuse to sit down, touch up a chain, etc.

I don't do hurry up production work so I can be a bit more relaxed about it.

I really like the trufuel cans, worth buying some just to get to reuse the can!

15" HF tool bag for < $10. Carries MSR aluminum fuel bottle, dish deterg bottle with b&c oil, tools, chains, wedges, files, rags, bandages, Granberg file guide. Total kit weighs ~12 lb. Hangs from shoulder strap. Hammer cut on site from wood scrap for setting wedges.
The bag, saws, hookaroon and PPE, and away we go.

Separate bag for chains & straps, for winching with cable winch. Don't take it if I don't need it. Most times walk to the job is kinda long for packing "options".

IMAG0740.jpg

IMAG0736.jpg

IMAG0741.jpg

I have a locking clip that clamps down on a rope to replace the handle hook bungee, but otherwise I'm very pleased with how this has worked out. The bungee doesn't hold the jonny tight enough for my liking.

I still need to add another box for bar oil, but I've been getting by hanging that bottle off the round post with a loop of small rope and letting it dangle off the back. That method did wear the paint off my rear bumper though.

Last edited:
IMAG0740.jpg

IMAG0736.jpg

IMAG0741.jpg

I have a locking clip that clamps down on a rope to replace the handle hook bungee, but otherwise I'm very pleased with how this has worked out. The bungee doesn't hold the jonny tight enough for my liking.

I still need to add another box for bar oil, but I've been getting by hanging that bottle off the round post with a loop of small rope and letting it dangle off the back. That method did wear the paint off my rear bumper though.

I use a tool pouch / apron of a thing that drapes over a 5 gallon bucket. Came from Lowe's. It drapes around the top of the bucket and gives you abuncha pockets inside and outside the bucket. I put way too much in it, files, screwdrivers, pliers, scrench, plastic wedges, stump vice, 2 extra chains for each saw, gloves, chaps, safty glasses, ear plugs, this list could go on forever. Bucket weighs near 8 or 900 lbs. No room for gas and bar oil in it. Bucket useally stays in the bed of the truck with way too much more stuff, but I am prepaired for whatever.

I use a tool pouch / apron of a thing that drapes over a 5 gallon bucket. Came from Lowe's. It drapes around the top of the bucket and gives you abuncha pockets inside and outside the bucket. I put way too much in it, files, screwdrivers, pliers, scrench, plastic wedges, stump vice, 2 extra chains for each saw, gloves, chaps, safty glasses, ear plugs, this list could go on forever. Bucket weighs near 8 or 900 lbs. No room for gas and bar oil in it. Bucket useally stays in the bed of the truck with way too much more stuff, but I am prepaired for whatever.

900lbs?:eek: I hope that is a typo. If not, remind me not to get in a fight with you.

Back