How do you do it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brush Hog

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Pricing that is :) .Do most of you have a set way that makes it quick to give estimate. $100 per ft.or something like that. I know I have set prices for landscaping services. Please no bashing. I've seen some don't like landscaper's
Pete

Time and degree of difficulty. Mostly it is a matter of man hours. Judging the time required ahh....now there is the tough part.

Time plus desposal fees. Also it depends on what equipement will be used, ie. more for bucket or loader. If it is a larger job with a lot of difficulty I would bump the price up a few hundred.

estimating

On my first job I (under)estimated how long it would take me to drop & cut up the trees, and completely missed how long it would take me to dispose of everything. I think I came away with about 50 cents an hour on that one. Live and learn.

Oh trust me I've had plenty of learning the hard way:bang: . For now I'm sticking with landscaping but will be studying and taking classes(arbormaster) so I can add tree work the list. Always looking for an edge and customers like calling one person to take care of all services at thier house.
Pete

equioment and crew times, difficulty, extraction and cleanup.

The last can be a killer, the deadwood from a green ash or honey locust can double or tripple the raking compared to a similar sized silver maple.

Lastly, how bad do you want/need the work. Sometimes slaping a kicker on PITA work will pay off, if you get it. It's happened to me a few times. Work I did not really want, but dsiplayed myself as the msot professional to the the prospective client. Then I can bring in extra help/equipment and not worry.

Some jobs just need 10 manual labor types who want to work hard (read Latino imigrant, cannot find many white boys who want to do it) to haul chunks of wood out by hand.

One job had a 26 inch opening between the side of the house and a 6x6 fence/arbor post. A carpenter said it would cost $1000 to remove/replace it. Only way into the back yard.

Then you have those people anal about the lawn, and you price in cut and carry all debris with lawn repair.

On the simple stuff, which you would do it's all about what you need to make a profit.

Back