how do you run a crew.......?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had a mid 40s climber workin a couple months ago propably one of the fastest climbers ive seen so when he got down i didnt expect him to help but he got right to work draggin some of the rest of brush and grapped a rake i was just shocked he got a bump in his pay lol to bad he works for a bigger company regularly

I'm a climber/ bucket man and have no problem helping out once I'm down. We had one "super" climber who worked as my secondary climber who thought he was above dragging brush. He lasted a week.

We have 3 groundsman (4 including my help) and 1 climber. If the climber isn't in a tree he better be chipping brush/running equipment or clocked out and on the way home. Can't pay someone climbers pay to rake debris and pull a tarp. Although if we get shrub trimming jobs our climber is the main guy to trim shrubs.

I plan to have 10 kids and run em' like the mules on the borax box. Keep in mind I'm 37 and I have a 1- 7month old. Late start.
3-4 men with a miniskid or your going to pay for someone's back.
A real back injury cost on average 100k. 5-6 guys carrying heavy loads over terrain equals bad news sooner or later. If your not Davey of Bartlett best to stick with mechanized equipment. It's never tired and ready to go.

I worked with huge crews in Hawaii and to me it was a wash. I spent 1/2 my time training or yelling " stop what are you doing?"

I really dislike it too when a climber believes he is too much too help clean up.
We had one of those in the company I work at and yes he got fired :baaa:
I own my company and when i climb i come down pick up my gear and put saws away that arnt being used, move trucks if needed hook up trailers, load equipment and if there is still cleanup i help with that. i had a climber that when he was done cutting would sit in his van, he was the first to go when things slowed down.

Around here you can have a 4-5 man crew and average $2,500-$3,000 a day almost always going into overtime and paying out about $1,000 in operating cost a day between labor and equipment. You also have to feed this machine by hustling that much work to keep all those guys busy. I can go out and make an average of $1500 a with me, one ground guy and very little equipment and afford to sell work for much less than my competition and always manage to be home by 5:00 so I think smaller is definitely better since I can afford to turn one week worth of work into two and always stay busy. Also, if work is scarce I am still making a profit going out and doing a $400 job and enjoying my winter break. I don't really see the need for a climber to drag brush if they are working in sync with the ground guys. Getting a tree on the ground fast doesn't mean getting the job done fast, with good teamwork the ground should be cleared by the time the wood starts coming down but if you are part of a team nobody should ever be above helping in any way possible to get the job done.

Latest posts

Back