how do you transport your wood out of the forest?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DSCF2921.jpg

I carry it out on my shoulder, then throw it into my truck. Like I've been doing since the 70's!

I do the same thing! jus depends how big, and how far from the truck is, I can usually get my little brothers to help out also haha

Log Skid

I built the 3-point arm with Logging Tongs ( 6-28 inch diameter log). Notice the rope to pull apart tongs - you don't get off tractor to hookup or unhook - this has saved a lot of time. I cleared 10.5 acres with this setup.

attachment.php

Either Massey Ferguson 1433 or International 1066...we are a farm here first, logging a part of that but not the primary part.:)

Firewood at times done this way..and then most of the time the subsequent pics:)

attachment.php

216873d1326381062-hillside-jpg

216870d1326380982-0924001723-jpg

216871d1326380991-load2-jpg

216872d1326380999-twobplow-jpg

Last edited:
I built the 3-point arm with Logging Tongs ( 6-28 inch diameter log). Notice the rope to pull apart tongs - you don't get off tractor to hookup or unhook - this has saved a lot of time. I cleared 10.5 acres with this setup.

attachment.php

Log Man, that is a setup that i need to replicate, great idea.

Pasquali!

I am lucky enough to have the worlds greatest tractor (IMO) :) I don't do much "logging" just firewood and estate work. 38 hp articulting locking 4WD- just point it where you want to go. Sometimes I even cut the trees first- Then I haul with my Toro Workman, after cut to length.

LarryMcMillenneighbor-07032011.jpg

Here's how I usually roll. Light load here, the aluminum trailer (3500# axle) is hooked up to my Jeep that doesn't have the circuit for the electric trailer brakes. Just replaced the Jeep with an '05 Silverado 4x4, so the loads will get bigger. Nice thing about the trailer is that it's so light and balanced that we can unhitch and reposition it before loading up if needed.

It depends on whether I am going to deliver the load immediately, in which case I have a tilt bed trailer I pull behind my tractor. The trailer balances on its axle, so once I get it out of the woods and onto the driveway, I can switch it to my truck for delivery run. But if I am just pulling it to a consolidation point for bucking, splitting, stacking, ... I just throw a chain on it and skid it with the JD x728:

P1020497.JPG

I get a $20 permit and collect my firewood in the Nicolet National Forest in Northeast Wisconsin. I can only take standing dead, and downed trees less than 18" in diameter. They have to be within 150 ft of a fireroad. No vehicles are allowed in the forest. So I have to cut the tree. Then buck it. Then carry the individual rounds back to my truck, over uneven terrain and through brush. Some of these rounds are 60 to 80 lbs! It's a workout!

I'm gonna get me a log arch.
Log Arch — 800-Lb. Capacity, 16ft.L Log Capacity | Logging Accessories | Northern Tool + Equipment

Wha-da-ya-thunk?

Don <><

attachment.php

I like, if the proper conditions are present, running cable from one big tree to another, and with slings, running a log along a cable. This is especially effective for dealing with water crossings, and of course it's best if you let gravity do the work, as in set up your cable with some common sense. I regularly move 10' logs with this.

Latest posts

Back