How does everyone buy their 2 cylce oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Currently running a (large, squeeze up) bottle of Echo power blend in the leaf fluffer.
mixing at 3.5 oz to the gallon.
figure to keep an eye on what the buildup looks like after as I run a few more gallons.

had been running Husky low smoke (in a different motor though) before the Echo stuff.
Have some Stihl gray bottle, waiting for next run in the blower.

Running at a pretty fixed load (the impeller and the air load) some throttle variation
would be my most consistent test opportunity.
Carb is set to just barely stay off the burble, at steady throttle.

a touch rich, But not a bit of any hot motor smell or that ominous
metallic ticking of too hot metal, when you idle down and shut it off.

Last edited:
Oh crap!!! You are supposed to mix gas for saws?!? I normally go to the pump and just fill er up! Pull the dipstick in my truck and put a few drops in...

Sent from my USCCADR3305 using Tapatalk 2

What ever cost less than a $1.00 a gallon at 32:1, buy it in as big a batch as I can find. Currently old stock white bottle Stihl. Prefer at least quart bottles but whatever fits the dollar.

Last edited:
Spectrum makes the Woodland Pro and some of the other Private labels too like Dolmar

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/101465-2.htm

I was under the impression that Spectrum were only blenders of 2T oils for the US & that they take base stock from Castrol among others, I know that Castrol produce oils for Stihl & others in Europe & that most French supplied 2T is Elf base stock, I don`t know if it still is the same, but a few years back chainsaw makers put out to tender for supply of oil they could put on their brand name, so would assume the cheapest supply that met the specs was taken up, so there could have been different suppliers over time [ Ipone forever & smell the strawberries :msp_smile:]

Quarts. Currently Stihl dino, next one is going to be some blue stuff and before that there was some worse crap. I'm not to sensitive about oil. :D

jeez.....maybe you should hire at least HS graduates! lol

Even college grads aren't necessarily too bright!......................:msp_biggrin:

(Saginaw22 ..... I know Waters Mi. well. Fished and camped near there many times)

Last edited:
I've been buying the Woodsman Pro in the 12.8 oz. portions. I usually only mix a half gallon of mix at a time. I get tired of dumping synthetic in the Toyota due to our crappy gas around these parts.

I'm thinking about switching to the Poulan Synthetic from Wallys. Its the Husky brand, and its about the same price. I'm almost out of the Woodsmans and I don't need anything from Baileys so I don't need to be paying that shipping just for oil. I usually have them throw in a few bottles with my order.

I was at the cycle shop a few weeks back, and they had Silkolene quarts on closeout. Anybody ever use it?

I used to buy full synthetic generic stuff in push up litre bottles. But now I switched to a 4 litre brand from a motorcycle store. There are a lot of 2 stroke scooters here in Europe so there is a fair demand. It is a full synthetic typ for air and water cooled engines with all the specifictions of the chainsaw brands (API TC, JASO FC/FD, TISI, ISO L-EGD, PIAGGIO SI). So I don't think I can go wrong with it.

We can all tell you how and why we mix our gas, but the simple answer is how much gas do you use in say 60days??? do you use 1gallon, 2.5gallon, or more or less???

I fix saws and run my equipment quite a bit this time of year to the tune of 2.5gallons every couple weeks to a month. I know some are way more and some are way less. Point is you should mix what you'll use before the gas goes stale. I won't use anthing past 60 days old no matter what! better safe than sorry over $5 in gas and oil...

I use the woodland pro full synthetic that others have suggested... I also suggest it to my customers/friends that i fix saws for. $10 for 6pk of 2.5gallon mixes of full synthetic with fuel stabilizers in it is CHEAP and a great product at the same time! If you don't use that much get the 1gallon mixes.
Bailey's - WoodlandPRO Synthetic 2-Cycle Engine Oil

I bought a 5gallon bucket of the stuff for a tree service here in central Iowa and the owner called a couple weeks ago (umm... maybe a month...??). Either way he's sold! His guys are burning up his saws A LOT LESS! Come to think of it... I would have expexted him in by now with 3-4 saws in tow... hmmm... Probably cost my self some business there... LOL! Long story short use a synthetic no matter what kind you buy it will be better for your saw(s) in the long run!

I bought two case (48 bottle) of premix earlier this summer and have 3 bottles left

I usually carry a couple bottles in the truck (just in case)

Even college grads aren't necessarily too bright!......................:msp_biggrin:

(Saginaw22 ..... I know Waters Mi. well. Fished and camped near there many times)

Lots of fishing and camping to be done around here lots of outdoor stuff to do around here....
Cutting wood......splitting wood.....stacking wood.......

Great place keep making your way up here .....we need it

Woodland Pro synthetic :rock:

I buy the 6.4 oz bottles for making 2.5 gallons, split them in half by keeping the old bottles and relabeling. Then one 3.2 oz serving mixed with one gallon of fresh gas is right at 40:1. That way I keep it fresh and frequently made.:msp_smile:

This is how i buy my oil.

View attachment 275672

I'm trying this one for the first time, i changed my mind from buying the motul 800, because its exactly 4 times as expensive as this one. I don't doubt its better, but this thing has all the standards and costs about as much as brand name bio chain oil at 6$/liter. Also picked up the cheapest chain oil at $11/5l, and oil for my car. Its all from french supermarket brand, i know the car oil is manufactured by Gulf. The car stuff is great, so i think i shouldn't have any problems with the 2 strokes either. :)

I buy quarts of Amsoil(on-line) then pour 2 gallons worth at 50/1 at a time into a clear Champion semi-syn oil container that is marked per gallon then pour that into the 2 gallons of 100LL. Also keep 2 gallons of extra 100LL unmixed for back-up. I wrote it out because it sounds more complicated than it is.

I too use the quart bottles. I did find a prescription pill bottle that held exactly 3oz and now use that for a measuring device. It has a nice screw down lid (not the quarter turn child proof cap) and seals to keep all the dust and dirt out.

Use whatever works for you......jus sayin.......

Back