How does one start as a Log Truck driver?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I drove a log truck during the 1970s and 80s. I was injured and had to cross train into another line of work. It is now 2015, I'm retired and want to pull logs again- although it will now require a CDL driver license. Before, a Chauffeur's Licence was plenty. There was no ABCD, etc. I was known as a very good driver. Do I have to go to school to get a CDL license? I'm quite confident that I've lost little in the way of knowledge/skill. I could be rusty, however. Spending $3000 for truck driving school isn't an option at this time. I'm 58 years old. I've lived all over the planet, so I have no local connections in the industry- but Florida is my home and where I've come to retire. Any chance of climbing on a local rig w/o schooling if I have prior history? Income isn't a concern, just some kind of local driving...state-wide maybe.

You don't need to go to driving school to get your CDL. When I got mine in KY I got my physical, had my permit for two weeks, accrued the required amount of hours, then tottered around in a lowboy for about an hour to get my license. I got all my hours from backlogs of driving fire trucks.

But to be honest, until you're comfortable with a rig on the road, you have no business driving on off road. A 600 hp motor through an 18 speed crash box can be hard to feather, and if you're loaded and slam the clutch you'll tear it or something else in the driveline apart. You could roll the truck into a ditch, or lose traction on the crap road surface.

I drove a log truck during the 1970s and 80s. I was injured and had to cross train into another line of work. It is now 2015, I'm retired and want to pull logs again- although it will now require a CDL driver license. Before, a Chauffeur's Licence was plenty. There was no ABCD, etc. I was known as a very good driver. Do I have to go to school to get a CDL license? I'm quite confident that I've lost little in the way of knowledge/skill. I could be rusty, however. Spending $3000 for truck driving school isn't an option at this time. I'm 58 years old. I've lived all over the planet, so I have no local connections in the industry- but Florida is my home and where I've come to retire. Any chance of climbing on a local rig w/o schooling if I have prior history? Income isn't a concern, just some kind of local driving...state-wide maybe.

Its rare but some outfits will train on the job, takes some special paper work... However Florida may be different.

Otherwise your options are to contact one of the big nationwide carriers and get on the job training from them, Brown Line, Interstate, usf reddeway etc.

The pay is crap and you have to sign some agreement that you will haul for them for x time, but they do provide training while getting paid.

You have to have been a timber faller first. All the log truckers around here "used to be fallers". Then, you need to be able to learn the sources of good gossip, and have the gift to spread it around. Donettos must also be carried.

Around here you need to whine like a six month old puppy and then complain about everything, bumpy road, bugs, fuel prices and lack of donuts on the header.

Seriously, find someone to ride with that will show you the ropes and hopefully let you use their truck for your road test.

AND learn how to put on chains before you are stuck!

Back