How far have you driven to buy a saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TWO hours one way

I found a 038 magnum on craigs list about two hours away for a hundred bucks. It was only in need of a chain brake and I was in need of a bigger than a 50cc saw so I had to jump on that.

Oh yeah, that counts

Well I only had to drive about 30 miles but it was right into the mess of Friday afternoon traffic out of Washington DC. I knowingly drove into a situation that was going to take an additional 2 hours to get home from the location..:angry2: Does that count??

Did I mention that when I rode a motorcycle to get the Stihl 026 it was in Friday rush-hour traffic? In LA? And I was splitting lanes? Both ways? On the way home, I was a bit concerned about how far the saw bar was poking into the next lane on the right side. But we all made it home just fine; maybe that all added to the satisfaction of scoring that saw!

Olyeller

Wished I'd have drive a couple of 100 miles for some I've seen offered but I didn't and I guess that's OK. Still end up with more saws than I can justify.

did i mention that when i rode a motorcycle to get the stihl 026 it was in friday rush-hour traffic? In la? And i was splitting lanes? Both ways? On the way home, i was a bit concerned about how far the saw bar was poking into the next lane on the right side. But we all made it home just fine; maybe that all added to the satisfaction of scoring that saw!

Olyeller

you win!!!! But I need a picture as proof!! :camera:

Last edited:
I don`t drive anymore I just have my buddies ship them to me, LOL, you know who you are. I have drove 16 hrs each way to pick up a saw back in the old days but my network friends takes care of that nowadays.
Pioneerguy600

My grandfather remembers the horse-drawn wagon days too. Sixteen hours gets you about 100-120 miles. :D :D

If I remember correctly the trip was close to a 1000 miles each way up the Trans Canada close to Ottawa, then back to N.S., it was miles back in those days but nowadays its kilometers. I drove 13,000 kilometers just last summer and got to see a couple of saws, did not actually bring any home with me but they are still showing up in the mail.LOL.
Pioneerguy600

I buy a lot of saws, some I part out, some I sell after giving it some TLC, a lot more I keep. My wife and I left one morning about a week ago, we had three stops to make and several saws to pick up. On the first stop someone had stolen the road signs in the area so my mapquest directions were useless, adding to that we had no service on our cell phone, (mountains). We made it after asking directions from a cop that was backed into a hole waiting on a speeder, the look on his face was priceless when I pulled up and got out. Next stop was an hour and a half away and mapquest was lying to me, we got off track pretty bad, but at least this time I could call the guy. The next stop was on the way back on a different route, and went well. All in all we picked up eight saws and drove over three hundred miles, but we had fun...

I buy a lot of saws, some I part out, some I sell after giving it some TLC, a lot more I keep. My wife and I left one morning about a week ago, we had three stops to make and several saws to pick up. On the first stop someone had stolen the road signs in the area so my mapquest directions were useless, adding to that we had no service on our cell phone, (mountains). We made it after asking directions from a cop that was backed into a hole waiting on a speeder, the look on his face was priceless when I pulled up and got out. Next stop was an hour and a half away and mapquest was lying to me, we got off track pretty bad, but at least this time I could call the guy. The next stop was on the way back on a different route, and went well. All in all we picked up eight saws and drove over three hundred miles, but we had fun...

Tell us what you picked up...please

Tell us what you picked up...please

OK not a problem, Echo 601svl, Echo 440evl, Stihl 028AV, McCulloch eager beaver, 2 homelite XL2s, A Poulan with Crapsman clothes on, Poulan 2000, and some pieces and parts of Macs. Not a bad day. Today was better less than fifty miles, but I got a Homelite C-52 and a Stihl 031 AV...

Here's my longest trip and story.

While searching craigslist i found a Homelite 3100G
in the state of maine. I called and convinced the seller
to ship it to me, but it would be a few days to get the
cost. Man was i happy it wasn't sold. Great price and i
was very excited. meanwhile i was on AS and someone
had posted the link in the seen it on ebay craigslist forum.
Now i was pissed, i called the seller back and told him i'm coming to get it in the AM. Ok he said. I was sweating
and hoping someone wouldn't try to buy it out from under me. I made the journey to Maine 225 miles one way and
met with the seller and off i was with this nice Homelite 3100G. it was worth the trip. Around 450 miles total.

Lee

7.0 cu. in.?

leeha, for those of use who are cubically challenged, what does that 7.0 cubic inch engine in the 3100G translate to in cc's? I looked it up on Acres and that saw looks like a mean one; three reduction gears? What do you cut with it--marble or granite? Wow.

Olyeller

My 090 came from Canada... glad I didn't have to drive for that one! Oddly enough, the deals that I find on CL are typically close to me. I picked up a 272XP once, that was 5 miles from me for 125 bones. If it was any farther, someone would have beat me to it.
A couple of the used saws that I have bought locally, that weren't posted on CL have been from my dealer. I would saw about 20 miles, and always worth the trip. I have the day off tomorrow, and plan on heading out there- just to make sure there aren't any deals I could miss.
Something tells me that they can sense when I am coming, and put anything and everything they can out on the floor before I get there. Sick I tell ya! They are fully aware of my disorder, shame on me for telling them haha...

Latest posts

Back