How has your chainsaw "taste" evolved?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mweba

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Over the years I have owned a hundred or better saws. At first I sought out the old Homelite Mag due to the accessibility and price, not to mention, its what my family owned. My collection has ranged from the rare to the down right ugly. After finding this site, new saws were brought to my attention and collected as well. As of late, my collection is smaller than it has been in years. Its kinda funny the ones I decide to keep. Its seems American Mag at there peak of technology is in my blood at the moment.

How has yours evolved?

My tongue is still firmly stuck to the magnesium yeller saws made by McCulloch... that probably will never change. If I ever see one for cheap or free at a garage sale around here, I'll be getting it for sure...

Yup! I just sold off most of my old hommies and am now acquiring more modern big saws. Mostly creamsickle and a few orange and red.

You see I am in reverse when compared to ya'll. I am seriously considering selling off some of my more modern saws and focusing on the old magnesium. Who am I kidding......... "Come all ye lonely saws" has always been my motto.

i used to be hardcore echo,,,,the last one just left the nest 3 hours ago,,, i have leaned towards the stihls,,,, i just started cutting firewood a few years ago until i found the dang blasted sight,,, now i have CAD so :censored: bad thats all i think about is saws :bang::bang::hmm3grin2orange:,, all i know its fun,,,, if i have counted right i have bought and sold about 20 saws this year,, all needed work so i got them going again,,had several good projects,,,i am always looking for more

Lol, that's ironic. I used to be hardcore Stihl but now I own one and three Echo saws. I work with them so basically what I looked for was good construction and dependability primarily, but I found that they are just fun to run as well. Good stuff them Echos.

Yup! I just sold off most of my old hommies and am now acquiring more modern big saws. Mostly creamsickle and a few orange and red.

Been there.....now trying to get that old mag back. I can always find and build the newer models. Saws get my attention when it has brass fuel lines.

Yes, in a couple ways. I used to think Huskies were ugly. Now I don't. I'm also much more interested in older saws than I used to be.

And I with Stihl. An older big cube Stihl will cross my path someday.

Lol, that's ironic. I used to be hardcore Stihl but now I own one and three Echo saws. I work with them so basically what I looked for was good construction and dependability primarily, but I found that they are just fun to run as well. Good stuff them Echos.

now don't get me wrong,, i still like echos,,,my very first saw was a 370,, i had cut many,many cords with that saw and it never let me down,,,,,but when i bought my 361 my 600p hit the door,,,, i got a good used 170 for my wife to try and she sent the cs-310 packing,,,, i got my 021 up and running and my 370 went packing today,,,,, now wiggs is building me a 026,,,, i do like echos,,but after running a few stihls and then buying one,, i was just plain hooked,,,if i ever find a good buy on an echo i won't turn it down,,it will come home with me

I have a couple that I use to cut wood, no particular preference for them, just good wood cutter's, 346, 026, 044s, 064, 7900 and some older Homelite's because I was raised on Homelite's. Fast, light and can flat cut some wood!

Then the bigger one's as of late have been 100cc+, I'm now up to 15 saws starting at 106cc to 137cc. The big saws are just down right fun to restore and run, nothing like a 750, an SP125 or a Super Contra and a big roller bar! Special mention for the big Homelites, they just flat sound cool!:msp_tongue:

I started out in the late 80's, and I was running Mac's, and homelite's. Discovered Stihl when I was 14, and moved to Cazadero in 87. Quickly grew a love for Stihl, but was still running the other's. Ran a Husqvarna for the first time in the early 90's. I was really impressed. In 97-98 I was strictly running husky, until I picked up a 044. I sold a 266 to get it, and fast!. I realized both of those brand's were top shelf, and by then I was a fanatic, and didn't just see them as a nice tool, but a real fascination of mine, and started collecting what I could. Every saw I have aquired since than I have kept. I wont sell them, I get attached to them:bowdown:

now don't get me wrong,, i still like echos,,,my very first saw was a 370,, i had cut many,many cords with that saw and it never let me down,,,,,but when i bought my 361 my 600p hit the door,,,, i got a good used 170 for my wife to try and she sent the cs-310 packing,,,, i got my 021 up and running and my 370 went packing today,,,,, now wiggs is building me a 026,,,, i do like echos,,but after running a few stihls and then buying one,, i was just plain hooked,,,if i ever find a good buy on an echo i won't turn it down,,it will come home with me

No biggie. Everybody has their faves. :cool2:

I still think the early Mac 10 series styling is the pinnacle of saw design, including ergos and power to weight. That glorious noise of a mac with a cowbell reed muffler is classic. I don't even have an issue with vibration from those. I have come to realize however that Huskies are much smoother, Stihls can actually turn high RPM's now, and Poulans of the 70's and 80's are actually fun and dependable. If I had to make a living with a saw now, it'd be with Stihls. But since I don't' I can play with all my old ones and have a blast doing it. Still want a 100+cc saw with a 50" bar to play with on a few old maples I know of. Oh, another thing--- don't waste money on cheap chain. Stihl full chisel is the bomb.

I'm somewhat of an opportunist so most of my saws were some sort of deal.

I really like my Dolmars and Huskies.

My Poulan 3500 was a favorite for years.

Never cared for the Stihls because the Stihl heads kept the price too high for the better ones. I have an old one that the guy selling it thought was an extreme sacrifice to sell it to me. I don't consider the 031 to be viable with the newer saws.

I remember having a Mac 250 some 35 yrs ago. It certainly didn't fit my situation at the time and from memory, would not fit well today either when compared with the newer designs.

I started with Stihl. I've owned a bunch of saws since CAD set in. But I find myself keeping the Stihls and selling the others. I sure wish I hadn't priced my 036 Pro a few weeks ago. :cry:

Well you can tell everyones favorite brands by checking their sigs. Lol
But on another note I was once told a useful fact that plays a bit role in why we all like different brands so much. If you go buy a Polaris ATV for example you are a Polaris guy buy a artic crap then your an arctic crap guy. I like stihls and dolmar because they fit me well. Like a well worn pair of boots. They have always performed well and never let me down. Huskys I bet are one he'll of a saw I've never owned or ran one so I am in the dark on huskys.

I have only been collecting saws for a few years - started out with Mac 125's before finding the big gear drive Homelites. My main focus at present is Titan two man saws (E, ER and Bluestreak) as well as the big CC Engineering Bluestreak single cylinder machines found in Australia. I am also partial to the big Dolmar saws as of late.

Plenty of fun, but never enough time to have it.

Chris.

I am very brand colorblind. I have 3 Stihls, 2 Husky's, 2 Echo's, a Mac and a newly aquired Homelite Super XL Auto. Over the last few years, while being a member of this site, I have learned a lot about ALL the different brands of saws. Having the fastest saw on the circle in which I live is pretty cool. Come to think of it, I think I have the ONLY saws on the circle. Maybe it just seems that way because everyone that needs a saw always comes and ask if they can borrow one of mine. My Husqvarna 137 is a good loaner saw.

Latest posts

Back