How has your chainsaw "taste" evolved?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started many years ago with just a Stihl MS290. Now, let's see, 031,032 (2),051, 042 (3), 020, 011, ms310, ms290 (2), ms360, 041, 056, and I think that might be it. Maybe a few I forgot. Plus I have an 050 and 051 on the bench. I'm brand loyal to Stihls, yes because, STIHL ROCKS and I have an awesome dealer about 10 miles away. Now if they where a Husky dealer, than I would be loyal to them. The biggest reason is I have a great dealer that will order anything I need and it only takes a few days. Also, they sell me saws cheap and their tech guy allows me to come back and chat with him. I do have some others in the stable too and they all get loving when wood season comes along. I buy em cheap, fix em and run em. I have a hard time selling them.

I have always used Stihl's as my main firewood saws. I like working on the old Homies but only really like the super ez auto and anything over 90cc. I picked up my first husky recently and love it, 2100CD, have bought and sold a few mac's only keeping the 250 and 10-10. Now I am in a green phase, just picked up a great running 245A and have cut some wood with it, and a 4000 that is missing a few parts but is in great shape. I guess my likes change based on what is available and how much money I have in my wallet.

I started out cutting firewood with a little craftsman 2.3 and quickly killed it trying to buck up a big oak log in the yard. My neighbor came by, and offered me a 3400 poulan that hadn't ran in years. A carb kit and fuel lines and I cut wood with that saw for a year or so. Then found a used ms460 on a local classifieds. Then it all broke loose. I've had probably a hundred or two saws in the last few years. I always end up keeping an 026 and an 044 for my firewooding. Hard to beat that pair. I'm kinda stihl loyal, but have been known to keep an old yellow saw or an orange one around. No since in being color blind.......

Over the years I have owned a hundred or better saws. At first I sought out the old Homelite Mag due to the accessibility and price, not to mention, its what my family owned. My collection has ranged from the rare to the down right ugly. After finding this site, new saws were brought to my attention and collected as well. As of late, my collection is smaller than it has been in years. Its kinda funny the ones I decide to keep. Its seems American Mag at there peak of technology is in my blood at the moment.

How has yours evolved?

In terms of collecting, narrowed it to mostly Mccullochs and a few Homelite models. If it is old and/or a saw that I an unknown model to me than maybe. Picked up another Clinton and a DB because of conditon and price and lately the pickens have been slim.

In terms of use, mostly newer models, Stihls and Husqvarnas. The mills get 1122s and there is always saws waiting to be tried out.

Pretty much avoid newer saws that are in good running condition as there is not much fun in that. However there are a few models that get snagged if the price is right.

Been messing around with -40cc saws but usually end up using the small Macs. Lately even the small Macs have gotten pricey.

As a boy I started with Husky then at work years later it was Stihl and of the 75 plus saw's I have 90% are Stihl. As work has changed back to more felling I've recently bought a couple of fresh and new saws a couple of Stihl and a couple of Huskys and as i look in the back of the jeep sat here waiting to start work it's got 3 Huskys in, 394 XP, 2101 XP and a 266 XP that said Im just about to put the 461 in !

Started with a little mac. i was so young dont even know what model. got a 021 at fourteen and from there on it was easy STIHL. easy parts, great machines, more money yes. But i think they make more to!!

In terms of collecting, narrowed it to mostly Mccullochs and a few Homelite models. If it is old and/or a saw that I an unknown model to me than maybe. Picked up another Clinton and a DB because of conditon and price and lately the pickens have been slim.

In terms of use, mostly newer models, Stihls and Husqvarnas. The mills get 1122s and there is always saws waiting to be tried out.

Pretty much avoid newer saws that are in good running condition as there is not much fun in that. However there are a few models that get snagged if the price is right.

Been messing around with -40cc saws but usually end up using the small Macs. Lately even the small Macs have gotten pricey.

Yeah, no kidding... some moron thinks his Eager Beaver 2.0 is worth 125 bucks on my local CL... :dizzy: Yeah, riiigghttt...

Stop rubbing that in!!!
:angry3:

Not so fast.... :) The 7300 was smoother than the 681 I have. I would imagine a 7900 is a dream to run. To this day I cant get over how nice that 7300 ran. It was so smooth it was decieving as to the power it had. I tell ya, a 7900 IMO would be the best.

I started with Mac's, a used PM610, inherited dads PM55, bought a MS3516 new, bought a Stihl 029 used, bought a new Dolmar 5100S, tried my FIL's Mac 1-41 & 1-42 and bought my Dolmar 7300 new. I have liked them all but the 7300 gets used more than the rest. Never owned a Husky but I sure would own a pro model if I had the chance, I like the pro Stihls too, I went with Dolmar as of late because they are what I could afford and they work good.

Latest posts

Back