How high would you go for an AS buddy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The trees look like they have had much more lower live material removed in the past.

Most definitely was there a lot more removed in the past as you could tell from the pix. I think the earlier trimmings were to remove the branches that were on the house and windows (environment). I'd guess the opposite side trimmings were for a "balanced" look.

Many of the spots I did prune had been pruned before.

The trees overall are very healthy looking. Nice root flares, no girdling, bark loss, boring holes, etc. My observations are only visual and very basic. I pick the tree care stuff up slowly. Alot of black magic in that science that I have not spent time with.

Overall I'm happy with what I did. Clean cuts where I pruned. I left good collars. No nicks in the tree. No spikes.

Looking back at the photo I realize it may look like we were denuding the tree. That is far from the truth. There is a very healthy canopy above in all of the trees as you might see in this photo.

-----

attachment.php

Though this isn't the same tree it is one of seven very large white oaks in our back yard and just feet from the one in the other photo (part of it is actually in this photo also - the tie off rope is running down to it). In this photo Chris is higher up eliminating some dead branches.

Awesome pic!

Wait, so you were SRTing? What were you using, I thought you gave me back my grigri?

You might make a spikeless climber yet. (If you drop 20lbs off your saddle it gets easier....) :hmm3grin2orange:

Interesting point of view. In old growth forests I've visited this "skinning" of the lower trunks has happened naturally as the trees have grown above the understory and the canopy has dominated by keeping sunlight from reaching the lower parts and thus eliminated saplings and lower branches from competition. Not arguing just stating another point of view. I'm surely not a trained arborist.

Forest overcrowding is a popular occurrence.

Most definitely was there a lot more removed in the past as you could tell from the pix. I think the earlier trimmings were to remove the branches that were on the house and windows (environment). I'd guess the opposite side trimmings were for a "balanced" look.

Many of the spots I did prune had been pruned before.

The trees overall are very healthy looking. Nice root flares, no girdling, bark loss, boring holes, etc. My observations are only visual and very basic. I pick the tree care stuff up slowly. Alot of black magic in that science that I have not spent time with.

Overall I'm happy with what I did. Clean cuts where I pruned. I left good collars. No nicks in the tree. No spikes.

You nailed it Chris...The trees had all been pruned back 15 years ago as recommended by a licensed arborist, working for a large tree company, paid lots of money, to get larger limbs away from the house and to open up the yard to some sun. You did great! :clap:

Wait, so you were SRTing? What were you using, I thought you gave me back my grigri?

You might make a spikeless climber yet. (If you drop 20lbs off your saddle it gets easier....) :hmm3grin2orange:

Dave, I haven't forgotten about getting you those photos of your Slingered 660. I've been away from home more than there. This week - promise. Chris had quite a workout with the climbers. Ginger went into the house - she couldn't bear watching him that high. :)

Thanks 7Oaks, I'm glad you like the results.

Yeah canopyboy, I didn't need some new fangled $100 toy to get me up the tree :hmm3grin2orange: Although that grigri does work nicely.

I used my CMI foot ascenders with my Dual Kong hand ascenders backed up with a prusik above the Kong. It worked well doing it leap frog style. The hardest part was disengaging the foot ascenders to move about. It was a little awkward reaching them. Also the Kong would occasionally slip during first engagement on the Arborplex. Not sure if it was the Arborplex or the the Kong that caused the issue.

I did hit both shots with the Big Shot on first try. 7Oaks was impressed (so was l, :cheers:)

Maybe I'll have to get me one of those Unicenders. But honestly I think I prefer the takedowns to pruning. It's easier to set work position, you don't have to mess with throw lines, switching out ascending and descending gear, etc. The one cool thing about not spiking is that you have a solid tree to come down on.

Back