How I baby my 2 stoke motors.... 30-1 instead of 50-1

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The four mix is just a bad design.
It was an completely unnecessary , with no salvation . That it was even considered , during its design stage is staggering , even after a few hours running its short comings were readily apparent . Overheating & sluggish performance & excessive fuel consumption to attain a little more low end torgue . I have owned one & worked on numerous Stihl 4 mix units . Primarily edgers , power brooms & tillers . High mtce. units & seasonal decarbonizing even with quality oil & ratios . Just by design , low rpm & low heat engines always produce deposits & more heat . Add Stihl Ultra & its a death sentence . A major Stihl Engineering blunder with no redemption !

This.
Most guys are totally and utterly ignorant on the subject but very firm in their convictions. Most of which are based on old wives tales and internet BS.
I have zero problem with spades be called out as spades. Some people should be afraid to open their mouths.
I know a whole lot about nothing Ben.

For what its worth, I dont ever use any of the elite synthetic 2 stroke oils for chain saws, but I frequently use 2 stroke oils for outboard motors and conventional 2 stroke oils for air cooled motors meeting the min specs. What I do to baby my engines somewhat is I run all my mixes at 30 to 1 instead of 50 to 1 to assure a little extra lubrication to my
bearings and cylinder walls etc. while running and also to leave heavier coating when saws are idle. I would expect there to be excessive carbon buildup perhaps but so far I have not seen it. The saws seem to run just as well and
I dont really pay much more for oil as I usually buy it by the gallon.
I "baby" my saws by using Amsoil at 100:1 ratio. I get no smoke and have little or no problem with carbon. The saws probably have a little more power too.

Rolling coal in a diesel is due to over fueling for the available turbo size.
More oil in a two stroke contributes to better ring seal and thus higher compression.
getting under the turbo, too big of a turbo, stuck waste gate, stuck egr, stuck injector... smoke is partially burnt fuel doesn't mean the turbo is out of its map.

getting under the turbo, too big of a turbo, stuck waste gate, stuck egr, stuck injector... smoke is partially burnt fuel doesn't mean the turbo is out of its map.
I agree with Sean , the turbo & fuel mapping would be the least obvious or potential contributing to rolling coal syndrome within newer. ECU monitored / electronic controlled turbo & common rail injector systems . Older batch injection & turbo's often had a lag & puff of smoke , until boost pressures equalized , also more prone to potential over pressure fuel delivery . I agree a restricted egr. faulty injectors or injector pump or even a faulty air filter canister restricting adequate air flow , are the most common causes of a overly rich fuel charge & excessive black smoke emissions !

Latest posts

Back