how i sharpen chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going through Oregon loops fast dealing with dirty flood debris so I started looking for a decent price at a shop.

My old dealer went from $7/20" loop to $16 and blued the cutters.

I went to a C/L sharpener charging $5/loop and it cut dog legged left.

Went to another shop and they charged $10/loop and did a nice job.

At that point I bought a grinder. I should have mailed the loops to you....

Oops, a little late to the party here. I try to take off as little as possible to reestablish the cutting edge...I also don't worry about the one or two cutters that might be shorter...The next one/two times you sharpen you'll catch the rest up to them. I see you're hitting yours only once!...I usually do 2 times just to avoid burning anything...but I might try once next time...gotta experiment. I also use a dremel on the rakers. Be gentle and try to maintain the angle...works well. I think most backyard cutters would buy a grinder or good file system the first time they watched their local shop butcher their chains like you mentioned. I like my shop for parts and BS but I'd never let them touch my chains after watching them work on someone else's!...If your chains come home blue, something went wrong. When you can extend a good chain's life by about 80% by doing it right you've learned something. Good simple vid for guys that would like to get away fm shops that should be selling meat...Well done...

I don't take enough metal off to worry about burning/heating the teeth,, I just barely touch each one

We have our own TV star. didn't watch the vid, figured it would have had undesireable women in it.
no,,, it was me and my wife,,, I am going to try to figure out how to put the 4 shows on youtube,, I have them on a dvd with no comercials

Latest posts

Back