How long can you hold out?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsawaddict

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well, first things first, I love burning wood. BUT this year Im gonna see how long we can hold out. Technically we dont 'need' to burn until we get solid freezing temps to keep pipes open...

Im just a little curious about how tough we really are. I guess it al boils down to how tough my wife tells me I am....:monkey:

Is there a shortage of wood in your area? I cut my own on my 40 acres. When it gets cool I will start burning. Don't really care how much I go through as long as the wife and I are comfortable.

Let us know when you give in....

Is there a shortage of wood in your area? I cut my own on my 40 acres. When it gets cool I will start burning. Don't really care how much I go through as long as the wife and I are comfortable.

Let us know when you give in....

OH, I always have plenty, just curious how much we can really take.

ive always been a proponent of burning asap and continuing to burn until you dont have a need to, but I think Im gonna hold off a bit this year just to say I did and experience a chill. Im thinking it will help everyone appreciate the wood cutting that goes on around here:clap:

I started burning wood because I got tired of toughing it out with the thermostat set on 62F to conserve propane. The last straw was that ice storm this past winter. 8 days of no power and 40-50F in the house. Only heat was a kerosene salamander running in the crawl space under the house. Now I can sit around in shorts instead of a flannel shirt and not worry about the propane bill.

Ian

I can hold out a lot longer than my wife can. When she says she is cold and wants it warm, it will be time to light the owb. Usually this will be around the middle of October, but this year it seems that fall is starting earlier, so more than likely the owb will be starting earlier too.

I personally like it tropical in the house. I wanted to start the stove the other morning but was immediately shot down by the wife:(

Picked up a new to me insert this week going to try and get it installed this weekend I think it might need a test run.

Daytime temps here still in the low 80's....I'll try to hold off firing until late late Oct. or early Nov. if I can...

We normally hold out as long as possible before kicking on the heat...usually until the end of Sept., but just installed a Wood Gun in our basement and just itching to start it up! A few more things to do and she'll be ready. Have to admit I'm kind of anxious and nervous at the same time! Never heated with wood before so it probably will be an interesting winter.

I started burning wood because I got tired of toughing it out with the thermostat set on 62F to conserve propane. Now I can sit around in shorts instead of a flannel shirt and not worry about the propane bill.

Ian

Exactly. When there's a blizzard outside, I'm lounging around in skivvies.

Instead of using a thermostat to control temperature, now I fine tune the temperature by cracking a window open. I like 85 degrees in the winter -- that's about right for lounging in skivvies.

As for how long I hold out, I started building evening fires in mid August. Plenty of wood, so why not be comfy ?

Usually start burning mid-late October depending on the weather.

But I DO plan to burn in the "little-used" chiminea this weekend evenings as temps are pretty comfortable here now. All that thing has done is collect rain water over the Summer; very, very strange weather this Summer.

Usually start burning mid-late October depending on the weather.

But I DO plan to burn in the "little-used" chiminea this weekend evenings as temps are pretty comfortable here now. All that thing has done is collect rain water over the Summer; very, very strange weather this Summer.

same here, strange weather.

I did order a fiskars today, so im thinking ill be pretty excited about burning here in a little while. We'll see how long I can really hold out.

We will hold out as long as possible. Unfortunately, we don't have 40 acres (or even 4), are still learning how much wood we will need for an entire winter, and have struggled to find wood. We both believe we'll end up running out this year, which represents our first real year of attempting to heat solely from wood (we have fireplace inserts).

Having said that... we're still hunting for wood and getting a start on '10/'11 winter! :D

We normally hold out as long as possible before kicking on the heat...usually until the end of Sept., but just installed a Wood Gun in our basement and just itching to start it up! A few more things to do and she'll be ready. Have to admit I'm kind of anxious and nervous at the same time! Never heated with wood before so it probably will be an interesting winter.

what btu--and what cost???

We will hold out as long as possible. Unfortunately, we don't have 40 acres (or even 4), are still learning how much wood we will need for an entire winter, and have struggled to find wood. We both believe we'll end up running out this year, which represents our first real year of attempting to heat solely from wood (we have fireplace inserts).

Having said that... we're still hunting for wood and getting a start on '10/'11 winter! :D
Why on earth are you "holding out as long as possible"? That's ridiculous. Find wood fuel from another source besides your own land. There is fallen timber that is dry and ready to burn all over CT. I used to live there.

Also, make sure you have another source of fuel besides wood. Fireplace inserts are not nearly as effective as free-standing wood stoves when it comes time to heat an entire house.

In addition to being free heat, my OWB keeps my house dry in the winter where in the past while burning LP there was always condensation on the inside of the windows and it just never got "warm". I like to open the windows now in February and share a little heat with the birds..:)

Back