How long can you hold out?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Upidstay

Upidstay

ArboristSite Operative
I can't wait for it to get cold enough to burn. Been waiting since june when I got my wood delivered to fire up the stove. Like a kid with a new toy (2nd year with the stove) Supposed to get down into the 40's tomorrow night, maybe I'll get a little one going...

chainsawaddict

chainsawaddict

ArboristSite Guru
Got a 4-point buck, 2 does, 2 fawns feeding off of the tomato scrap pile from canning....then there are the acorns for dessert! What is a Dr. Whyches yellow?...post a pic of it!
My biggest was a 2+ lb. Beefmaster. All of those in the pic in my last post are Mountain Fresh.

Ive got a pic of it on my cell phone i will upload, but i dont have cell service here at home. Not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing.

Its an heirloom tomato, i get them here
http://www.seedsavers.org/Details.aspx?itemNo=975

I will never buy hybrid seeds again after this year. Heirloom tomatoes are absolutely incredible. Try it, you wont regret it.

Moss Man

Moss Man

Addicted to ArboristSite
We hold out as long as possible, but we have a big advantage in that solar gain warms our place up pretty quickly when the skies are clear. Even in real cold weather we let the stove go out mid day if the sun is out. We'll have a fire sometime in October, depends when the chill hits.

I can't speak for the ole lady, but the perfect inside temp for me is around 68-70 degrees. Anything warmed than that and I get overheated.

Last edited:
Steve NW WI

Steve NW WI

Unwanted Riff Raff.
Excited as heck to start cutting, I can wait for quite a while before burning. Thermometer in the basement is still holding steady near 70°, when that hits 50°, I'll light the woodchuck.

Once I have a "scrape morning", the saws will be on full red alert. For you southerners, a "scrape morning" is when you go out to the car and have to scrape the frost off the windshield before you can leave for work.

I hate cutting in the summer, but I have a friend wanting me to take an 80'+ pine down for him. Wouldn't be too bad, but I have to climb and limb one side to avoid smooshing his apple tree in the process.

I eagerly await the day I can hook the ice shack to the back of the atv and get it on the ice...usually Christmas time on my lake. You guys will hate me, but the shack is strictly propane, there are very seldom people there talented or sober enough to run a woodstove, and who wants to stop fishing to fill the stove?

mtfallsmikey

mtfallsmikey

Addicted to ArboristSite
LadyToysDream

LadyToysDream

ArboristSite Operative
I think I could have held out a little longer.......
but the hubby fired it up this afternoon. Temperature guage on our deck is just below 50. It's been raining for several hours now but a light rain. Which cools things off a lot. We have had several weeks of sunny weather here straight, and now finally starting to get a little rain again. It was one rainy summer.

The water is not hot enough yet in the pipes, but should be shortly. I enjoy having all that extra hot water and not worrying about the electric bill.
We fired up the furnace for the first time beginning of last September. It was one of the smartest things we have done here. Wish we had done it years sooner. We have more than enough wood for this winter, and maybe enough for next winter too.
His parents got a OWB shortly after we got ours. It was hard to keep him in wood because he is heating the house and another building. I think this year though he should be all set. Hubby just got done helping him cut a tri axle load that got delivered on his lawn and not ours. I think we got things figured out ...I sure hope so :)

logbutcher

logbutcher

Addicted to ArboristSite
. Plenty of wood, so why not be comfy ?

Hey, what's up with "holding out" ? :confused:

Sounds too much like coitus interruptus :monkey:

Try to remember why we bust our a$$es to harvest the stuff. Besides it being some fun for us obsessed fools. And, if you've got a partner, you do want her satisfied,.......no ? :clap:

Stay warm. This is one life you got. Enjoy.:cheers:

chainsawaddict

chainsawaddict

ArboristSite Guru
Hey, what's up with "holding out" ? :confused:

Sounds too much like coitus interruptus :monkey:

Try to remember why we bust our a$$es to harvest the stuff. Besides it being some fun for us obsessed fools. And, if you've got a partner, you do want her satisfied,.......no ? :clap:

Stay warm. This is one life you got. Enjoy.:cheers:

Ok, You win!

Just lit a fire, was mid thrities last night, and mid thirties again tonight. Occassional rain, About 49 right now. I lit a fire. I didnt hold out very long.:ices_rofl:

Man it sure does feel good:rock:

Moss Man

Moss Man

Addicted to ArboristSite
We are in the midst of a warm spell here for this time of year, lows tonight expected to be in the upper 50's.

I expect to hold out till mid November, the ole lady is a hawt blooded women and the body heat takes care of most heating issues till then.

Shazam! :popcorn:

If we could get every single household in this country to compete in holding out the longest before using the heat, think of the resources that could be saved. Of course some bewbs would freeze their families to death and then we'd be facing a wrongful death lawsuit.......just can't win!

Last edited:
chainsawaddict

chainsawaddict

ArboristSite Guru
We are in the midst of a warm spell here for this time of year, lows tonight expected to be in the upper 50's.

I expect to hold out till mid November, the ole lady is a hawt blooded women and the body heat takes care of most heating issues till then.

Shazam! :popcorn:

If we could get every single household in this country to compete in holding out the longest before using the heat, think of the resources that could be saved. Of course some bewbs would freeze their families to death and then we'd be facing a wrongful death lawsuit.......just can't win!

Im hoping this will be my only burn for another couple weeks...:cheers:

Did i mention that it feels goooooooooood:clap:

Dalmatian90

Dalmatian90

Addicted to ArboristSite
Jake the Dalmatian has been trying to lay a guilt trip on me for a couple weeks now -- curls up and shivers by my feet when I'm on the john in the mornings.

Woke up last night to find he climbed under the covers with me :dizzy:

It's NOT that cold Jake, we haven't even had our first frost.

Once the fire is going, he'll curl up as close to it as he can...I dunno how he does it, once saw him with all four paws under the stove.

spike60

spike60

Addicted to ArboristSite
I never try to hold out and I look forward to the first light up. But I don't like to rush it and will wait until there's a good chill to chase away. There have been a few cold nights, but they have been bracketed by sunny days, so the house honestly hasn't gotten cold enough to fire up yet.

I do sort of hold out in a different way, and it's kind of silly with my woodshed jam packed the way it is. If the weather is fairly dry, as it has been lately, I like to scrounge wood by the wheelbarrow load and try to "hold out" on taking it from the woodshed. I'm talking about all of the 2" and 3" limbs laying on the ground, which is fine for early season fires. It's the kind of stuff that gets ignored when doing the bigger wood, but if you go after it, there's a surprising amount of wood that you can gather up. Plus it cleans up my woods nice.

mimilkman1

mimilkman1

ArboristSite Guru
I fired mine up on Saturday. I woke up and the house was 58, I ran the propane furnace for a little bit to take the chill off. My two daughters stayed with me Saturday night so I didn't want my little girls cold so I burned some white pine I scrounged from a local church that a tree service cut down. Let the fire die down on Sunday, I may fire it again this weekend when they come. :)

Kyle

23putts

23putts

ArboristSite Operative
Finally gave in on the Sept 24th. Didn't get that cold, but I drained the owb, refilled and added chemical. Wanted to make sure everything was working ok so I built a small fire and took the chill off. Looks like were good to go...

:givebeer:

Turkeyslayer

Turkeyslayer

Smells Great
Just started the stove about an hour ago. Windy/drizzly and around 14 C or 57ish F outside and 17 C/ 63 F inside. By the long term forcast it looks like burning weather for the next few weeks anyway.

Last edited:
chainsawaddict

chainsawaddict

ArboristSite Guru
well, i switched stoves. finally found my adapter to run the jotul and just waiting on shipping.

THe next week looks chilly and i am cringing about the thought of burning propane. We'll see how tough the wife and daughter are.

R W Ohio

R W Ohio

ArboristSite Member
Yesterday,cool and wet.The house was down to 64F and it wasn't going to get warmer in here any time soon,so I loaded the OWB and fired it up for the season.Turned the gas off to the water heater so I'm all set for the winter.

HittinSteel

HittinSteel

Addicted to ArboristSite
First fire of the season this evening. Mid 30's for a low tomorrow night. To warm for me so I have escaped to the upstairs. Wife, newborn and dog are sleeping downstairs loving it.