How long does mixed Stihl Ultra keep?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AT sawyer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I try not to keep my personal use gas mix for longer than a month, but I need to store mixed gas in several trail crew tool caches. If I mix up a couple gallons with Ultra, how long should I expect it to keep? Should I revert to the orange bottle stuff with Stabil for a longer shelf life? I always use premium gas in my mix.

The ultra should also have stabil in it. But, lately with the crap gas available(ethanol) I get less than 2 months using ultra.

RD

According to the stihl USA web site:

“STIHL HP Ultra 2-Cycle Engine Oil
HP Ultra is a fully synthetic 2-cycle engine oil specially suited for high performance chain saws and power tools. This oil has outstanding engine cleaning characteristics, plus “ultra” superior lubricating qualities in comparison to other 2-cycle engine oils. This oil is biodegradable, degrading by 80% in 21 days.”

Not exactly sure if that means that the mix degrades within 21 days or if you spill it on the ground it will be mostly eaten in 21 days. Either way, I am attempting to ditch Ultra in favor of Amsoil Saber. Mixed up a batch of Saber at 50:1 premium with 10% ethanol and I am close to reaching the 2 gallon mark in my guinea pig (an ms361). I had some carbon issues in this saw when using Ultra at the same ratio and I am curious if the Saber will clean it up or make it worse. Almost time to uncork the muffler and take a sniff.

There has been allot of buzz recently in the motor cycle mags about the crap gas destroying fiberglass tanks on vintage race bikes. It seems there are chloride additives in California gas now. This problem only seems to get worse.

If it has to sit for any length of time (more than 1-2 weeks) I would use race fuel or 100LL or some other good no-ethanol fuel. Pump gas with ethanol is designed for use in commuter cars that get refilled every few days.

So what you're saying is that it's the ethanol and not the oil? So then Ultra would hold up in AV gas for a longer time, but if I mix with ethanol, I should put the old stuff in my truck's gas tank.......

Sthil Ultra

I emailed Sthil on this question and here's their response::greenchainsaw:
Thanks for your E-mail and your interest in STIHL products.
We are in the process of having this information changed, as stated,
because it is confusing.
What it should say is Sthil Ultra,"the oil is bio-degradable in 21 days in direct
sunlight."
It will not degrade in the bottle or fuel can but we recommend that you
never use fuel that is more than 90 days old.

HP Ultra is a fully synthetic 2-cycle engine oil specially suited for high performance chain saws and power tools. This oil has outstanding engine cleaning characteristics, plus “ultra” superior lubricating qualities in comparison to other 2-cycle engine oils. This oil is biodegradable, degrading by 80% in 21 days.”

Not exactly sure if that means that the mix degrades within 21 days or if you spill it on the ground it will be mostly eaten in 21 days. Either way, I am attempting to ditch Ultra in favor of Amsoil Saber. Mixed up a batch of Saber at 50:1 premium with 10% ethanol and I am close to reaching the 2 gallon mark in my guinea pig (an ms361). I had some carbon issues in this saw when using Ultra at the same ratio and I am curious if the Saber will clean it up or make it worse. Almost time to uncork the muffler and take a sniff.

Please follow up on this as I am planning on trying the same thing. Amsoil is a lot cheaper, and I am having some carboning as well. I know my saws dont run that rich!

That 90 days is a good guide, but I have left fuel over the winter and had no problems what so ever using Amsoil. I think that fuel quality is a large part of the equation. Any fuel should be OK for at least 90 days.

If using gas with ethanol, store with the cans full. Less air space, less condensation forming with temperature change. Any good quality 2 mix with stabilizer should last a few months.

Kind of a 'related' question on the Stihl HP Ultra mix. If I am currently using the normal Stihl High Performance (orange bottle) 2 cycle mix, would it be OK to try the HP Ultra (white bottle) for awhile, and them possibly switch back to the regular orange bottles again?

I thought I read somewhere that it might not be a good idea to switch back to regular oil once you run synthetic oil? Just curious what others think.

How much are you guys paying for the 100LL av gas? I've got a small air port locally I could pick some up at. I may have to switch over. Damn ethanol content is getting scary these days. Too much to worry about.

Not to hijack, but I will be curious as to what you find out. I have been using the Amsoil Saber at 50:1 also in all of my saws and I am noticing a lot of carbon build up in the exhaust ports.

Kind of a 'related' question on the Stihl HP Ultra mix. If I am currently using the normal Stihl High Performance (orange bottle) 2 cycle mix, would it be OK to try the HP Ultra (white bottle) for awhile, and them possibly switch back to the regular orange bottles again?

I thought I read somewhere that it might not be a good idea to switch back to regular oil once you run synthetic oil? Just curious what others think.

Good question, I have heard the same thing, I would'nt mind knowing the answer to this as well.:cheers:

There seems to be a daily thread started on how long mix gas will last. The answers vary from three days to three months. There seems to be a one-upmanship trend to make the proposed time as short as possible. The shorter a time one suggests the more serious a logger you are. I'd like to see some hard data on chemically exactly WHAT is going on that would make gasoline fall apart so quickly. I do know over the years refiners have rushed the cracking process to produce a workable but somewhat less stable product. Here in Vermont we have "winter cars" and mine are always off the road for six or more months every year and all I do is throw some Stabil in the tank in Spring. I've never had any issues from years of doing this.

I've never smelled that sour "off" smell before gas is many many months old myself. I'm the newbie here but I can see why folks here say "not another OIL thread!". I also just mix and run everything at 32 to 1 in saws, trimmers, etc. that call for everything from 16 to 1 to 40 to 1 ratios with none of the promised hideous plug fouling and carb plugging issues occuring ever. I can't afford to have five different cans I dump out every couple of weeks because I didn't use them up. What am I missing here?

John H.

Last edited:
There seems to be a daily thread started on how long mix gas will last. The answers vary from three days to three months. There seems to be a one-upmanship trend to make the proposed time as short as possible. The shorter a time one suggests the more serious a logger you are. I'd like to see some hard data on chemically exactly WHAT is going on that would make gasoline fall apart so quickly. Here in Vermont we have "winter cars" and mine are always off the road for six or more months every year and all I do is throw some Stabil in the tank in Spring. I've never had any issues from years of doing this.

I've never smelled that sour "off" smell before gas is many many months old myself. I'm the newbie here but I can see why folks here say "not another OIL thread!". I also just mix and run everything at 32 to 1 in saws, trimmers, etc. that call for everything from 16 to 1 to 40 to 1 ratios with none of the promised hideous plug fouling and carb plugging issues occuring ever. I can't afford to have five different cans I dump out every couple of weeks because I didn't use them up. What am I missing here?

John H.

Old gas in a two stroke is the big issue, especially with the lean settings on most newer power equipment (epa,reg's) and gas containing ethanol.

I paid 4.90 a gallon for 100ll. I also stopped using the stihl oil at the recommendation of the shop tech, he says it leaves deposits all over the piston and exaust port.

I run 92 octate with no ethonal and stihl ultra. If I don't use it in 90 days, I run it through the log splitter. WDO

Back