How long does mixed Stihl Ultra keep?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to hijack, but I will be curious as to what you find out. I have been using the Amsoil Saber at 50:1 also in all of my saws and I am noticing a lot of carbon build up in the exhaust ports.

Pulled the muffler on the ms361 after 2 gallons of saber pro and noticed absolutely no difference in the amount of carbon fouling over Ultra. If anything, the carbon may be a bit lighter in color but that’s about it. As far as saber pro mix is concerned; it is cheaper than Ultra and more easily available but my local dealer only stocks quarts so you need to buy a mixing syringe. I do like the deeper blue color of the saber mix but the convenience of Ultra packaging is a big boon. No noticeable difference in saw performance or in exhaust stink but I am kind of immune to that anyway.

gas and oil

from reading these posts it seems to me most of it makes no difference what you use for oil everyone here is using something different and their saws are still running or we would have heard them screaming how not to use that brand.as far as the gas goes not too old and your OK a month will not be a problem in my experience a lot more than that it may.but i don't think the oil makes a huge difference the gas does. let us know of any oil you had a prob with guys.also depends how hard you run em how long and how hot they get some people dont let the saw cool at all especiallly workers not owners they dont care

\it is cheaper than Ultra and more easily available but my local dealer only stocks quarts so you need to buy a mixing syringe. I do like the deeper blue color of the saber mix but the convenience of Ultra packaging is a big boon. No noticeable difference in saw performance or in exhaust stink but I am kind of immune to that anyway.

I buy the quarts as well, for me just because it's only around $.30/Oz. The first time I bought it, I bought a 8 oz bottle. I just keep refilling it because it has graduated marks on the side in ounces (worthless) and gallons (priceless). The gallon marks are 1.3 oz. I just add 2 times that amount to get 2.6 oz/gal,and I'm running a 50:1 MIX. I get a couple of mixes out of the bottle before I have to refill.

I DID buy one of those mix-mizer (or something like that) things that has a syringe and a hose, but I wonder about the accuracy of it because I don't know if it takes into consideration the hose length. That could be a lot of extra oil.

I use Shell/Sunoco/BP 93 octane w/Ultra, no real problems. Instead of using Stabil in the gas before mixing, how 'bout Seafoam instead? Anyone ever try that?

As has been said, it's not the oil that will get you, it's the bad gas, and there is lots of it out there. Unfortunately, I don't use my saws enough at this point in time to even burn a gallon of mix in enough time, so I bought 4 gallons of AVgas last spring. You need to lean out the saw to run it, but it won't go bad for a long, long time. I'll also use BP or Shell premium when I'm not running the AVgas.

As been said, oil is oil, but I run synthetic. I still have a decent stash of Mobil 2T. Synthetics don't smoke or smell bad, so I like them. Much of my saw time is milling, so not stinking is a very good thing.

Here is a test we can all do. Take a new mason jar, fill it with your mix. Put it somewhere out of the sun and not to hot or cold. Watch it over a three week time. For the first three weeks, do not move it. If your stuck with 10% ethanol in your gasoline, you will notice that it will separate. At the three week mark, you can shake it all you want, but it will not stay mixed togather for long. You also might notice that water is in the mix now. Stinking ethanol is very hygroscopic and will absorb water from the air. Meaning just filling your gas tank to make mix with contaminate it with water.

We are stuck with 10% ethanol in gasoline for good and they(Washington D.C. demoRATS finks) are talking about mandating 15% in the future.

Last edited:
What's the shelf life of 2-stroke oil anyway?

Good question. I have never seen a data sheet or specification from a manufacturer that states the shelf life of their oil. If they did they may have to instruct retailers to remove and dispose of product past the expiration point, like milk. The container would have to have a "use by" date also. If the oil has a recent "specification" such as a JASO FC, or FD, it should be just fine.

Thats what that startron product is supposed to help With. from what I read It is supposed to help keep the ethanol content in the fuel from absorbing moisture and causing the oil to seperate from the fuel.. funny you mentioned that i have had some sitting in two jars for three days now, same gas used cheap 87 octane from discount gas station and mixed both 32:1 with stihl hp and added some of that starbrite to one jar. always ran av gas and never had a problem with that even setting for 6 months. had some tuning issues with it in one saw.

Latest posts

Back