How long should a chain last cutting firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jimbo209

Jimbo209

ArboristSite Guru
Are you using a bench vice to hold the bar/& saw
I find adding some paper towel, cloth, leather or something to grip in the vice helps a lot and stops scratching the paint.
Watch The top edge for glint that's not "properly" sharpened

Same BobL but on a Aussie woodworking has said similar here, but found this one
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f132/chain-cutter-glint-104908

beaglebriar

beaglebriar

ArboristSite Operative
Since you're cutting dirty logs maybe file every tank or sooner would be better. Your filing looks pretty good to me BTW. Just needed to go a little more as was stated a hundred times before..... Glad you got it working good!!

angelo c
Well, after spending a good amount of time on the chain, I got all the points sharp as hell. Put the chain back on and it cut through the logs like it was nothing.

Thanks for all the help and happy holidays!!
Now go teach someone else how to file, and don't be surprised if the guy you teach has been "filing" for years......incorrectly....

Dropsix

Dropsix

ArboristSite Lurker
Since you're cutting dirty logs maybe file every tank or sooner would be better. Your filing looks pretty good to me BTW. Just needed to go a little more as was stated a hundred times before..... Glad you got it working good!!

Yup. Was scared to over do it but turns out I just didn't do it enough based on the type of wood and dirtiness of it.

My angles were correct, it's hard to get it wrong with the Stihl system. Unless you don't do it enough, haha.

Now I am just about done the whole load of wood. If I do it again in a few years, I'll be well prepared!