How low would oil/gas need to be for you to give up wood heat

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How cheap would oil/gas/propane need to be for you to forego woodheat

• Wood heat's not for me. I'll pay market rate for gas/oil

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • $2-$4

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • $1-$2

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Free, e.g., Oil Heat Council has a lottery and you win

Votes: 28 28.0%
  • NEVER - not even if it's free

Votes: 54 54.0%

• Total voters

woodbooga

cords of mystic memory
Reaction score
As the heating season winds down and we're all assessing how much we've saved, here's a question to consider:

How low would oil/gas/propane need to go before you would even consider foregoing your stoves, OWBs and furnaces?

As the heating season winds down and we're all assessing how much we've saved, here's a question to consider:

How low would oil/gas/propane need to go before you would even consider foregoing your stoves, OWBs and furnaces?

FREE - I enjoy wood heating.

I might cut back but wouldn't give it up. Then again.. I've been burning pretty much non stop since early November. In just the last few days it's warmed up enough to give the stove a break and last night I got a little sad wondering if I'd had my last fire of the season.

I wouldn't ever give my wood heat up completely unless I was physically unable to burn it. I like the way that wood heat feels and I like being independent. If the electricty goes out I've still got heat.

Propane would have to be on the negative side of $1.00 for me to consider burning very much of it and then it would be in cool but not cold weather.

If propane was below $1.00, I would use a combination and only burn wood when it got real cold. That is the only possible way that I would slow down unless I just could not do it anymore.

If it worked out that my heating needs with LP were less than $200/mo, then we'd heat with it.

Selling my stuff that's related to wood burning would put plenty of dough into the coffer, and the time better spent as well.

If I could go the entire winter on about $500 total in propane I'd do it. Maybe even a touch more than $500. (About $0.50 a gallon)

It would half to be less than .25 a gallon because my girlfriend likes to keep the house at 80.

Oil would have to be free, but I would still burn wood. I like the "heat". Running the furnace the thermostat says 71, but it doesnt feel 71:mad:

Free - So in other words, never.

I voted free, knowing that such a scenario would never arise.

I'd probably go through withdrawals. Probably would still cut wood and sell it. Probably have more camp fires, too.

I'm something of a firebug. :)

It would half to be less than .25 a gallon because my girlfriend likes to keep the house at 80.
If my wife insisted on keeping the house that warm, I'd take it as a sign she wanted me out. I couldn't take it that warm. I begin to wilt at 68°. Especially if I'm moving around, or have been outside.

Last edited:
Oil would have to be under a buck a gallon for me to give up wood. It gets harder on me to saw, split, stack, and haul it in when it is time to burn as I age more and more. It helps that I have a lot of "toys" to make it easier. My wife loves the wood heat but never pitches in much to help me...thats ok..I don't mind. My daughters LOVE the wood heat when they are home to enjoy it. My oldest lives in Charlotte and her job has her traveling the NASCAR circuit every weekend. She does manage to get home for Thanksgiving and the xmas holidays and she really enjoys the wood heat.

I like cutting and splitting wood but I would like to just turn the thermostat up and sit back and relax with no worries. I do the wood thing mostly to help save money.:)

Back