How many knots do you really need to know?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never made a big deal about knowing a lot of knots, but am always open to learn a new one or a different way of tying an old one.
Having spent a little time in Uncle Sam's canoe club I learned a lot of knots and many have been used climbing and in tree work. The taunt line was one learned and used in my Navy days but I have never used it for climbing. It just didn't work well for situations where a knot needed to release and grab multiple times.

Bowline/Running Bowline, Kleimheist/Prussik/Blakes hitch, taut line, truckies hitch(add more to gain leverage), figure 8 stopper knot, clove hitch

Should be able to survive most things that gets thrown on you with these :p

Bowline, running bowline, timber hitch, clove hitch, and cat's paw (for grabbing a bight w/ comealong). For midline attachment I like the bowline on a bight--it takes a moment or two to learn, but it's a breeze to tie once you know it, and to untie, you throw that first loop back over and pull both ends free.

Also, if you've ever loaded a bowline real heavy, then you know what it's like to spend 15 minutes w/ a screwdriver & pliers trying to bust it loose, cursing and trying not to hurt the rope w/ the screwdriver. Whenever I set a bowline that'll get heavy-loaded, I double the "rabbit-hole," and when you dress the knot make sure to leave a tiny bit of slack in the loop where the rabbit runs around the tree--that loop there is the key to breaking loose the knot after use.

Bowline, running bowline, timber hitch, clove hitch, and cat's paw (for grabbing a bight w/ comealong). For midline attachment I like the bowline on a bight--it takes a moment or two to learn, but it's a breeze to tie once you know it, and to untie, you throw that first loop back over and pull both ends free.

Also, if you've ever loaded a bowline real heavy, then you know what it's like to spend 15 minutes w/ a screwdriver & pliers trying to bust it loose, cursing and trying not to hurt the rope w/ the screwdriver. Whenever I set a bowline that'll get heavy-loaded, I double the "rabbit-hole," and when you dress the knot make sure to leave a tiny bit of slack in the loop where the rabbit runs around the tree--that loop there is the key to breaking loose the knot after use.

You are right, when tying bowline always let it a lil' loose and add couple half hitches if there is any room. It sucks when bowline gets jammed up.
Use a hammer to undo a jammed knot, place it on a flat surface and whack it at an angle that you want it to go.

Bowline .... Running ..... On the bight and a clove hitch .... Maybe a good square knot , an maybe be really awesome at variations of round turns , helps to send things up and down from ground to climber

There was never a request for a list of knots.

But ya get it anyway around here.

I dunno, maybe 6 different bowlines I don't even know what they are called. Tons of little ones you can't live without and who knows about all the other ones that really have to be what has to be.

I have at least three I use for just tying on a pole saw, lets see: square loop, clove, slipknot on a bite or just wrap the rope around the hook a few times.

That's actually four so you get the point?

i keep a basic palate of knots after 30 years each one knows its place and my hand ties them before i had time to think too much about it
i have few personal twists for certain needs & end splicing of eyes can still be done but i'd say been awhile since needed

Most frustrating or amazing is the proper tieing of 2 ropes together still eludes me, i surly need to find a method that works & practice this

Depending on what its used for:

Heavy: some kind of bowline to bowline perhaps on a bight but really if its heavy I will put a shackle in their cause rope on rope like is just something I personally avoid.

Light: I used this if my climb line is not long enough and basically its just a double bowline using two different ropes. Make two overhand loops in one rope then thread the other as you would a bowling THEN run it right back under where the rabbit goes around the tree then a couple half hitches back to itself just for some levity. You will see what I mean about running back under where the rabbit goes around the tree as the rope naturally will fit there. I used to think it was the Yosemite Tie Off but I don't think it is. THEN also tie half hitches in the other rope's tail end.

Daisy chain hasn't been made mention of yet, I believe. I chain any 1/2 inch or smaller line that doesn't have it's own bag- it stows away neat and usually pays apart with a minimum of tangles. Works well for minding lanyards, too.

Also, double figure eight is bomber for an SRT canopy cinch in conjunction with a Delta.

Took him a while to learn the slip knot and I just gave up after that.

i keep a basic palate of knots after 30 years each one knows its place and my hand ties them before i had time to think too much about it
i have few personal twists for certain needs & end splicing of eyes can still be done but i'd say been awhile since needed

Most frustrating or amazing is the proper tieing of 2 ropes together still eludes me, i surly need to find a method that works & practice this
Double fisherman's knot works like a champ for joining 2 ropes.

You are right, when tying bowline always let it a lil' loose and add couple half hitches if there is any room. It sucks when bowline gets jammed up.
Use a hammer to undo a jammed knot, place it on a flat surface and whack it at an angle that you want it to go.

back in 2009 i posted this thread about non snitching easy to tie knot for securing limbs & it tested stronger than a bow line but would still open after weighted hard. The post has sadly lost its pictures, PDLQDL may recall the input was good thou i say dont use as life line pls
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/whats-this-knot.110861/

here some picture to help and the link to the knots name and how to tie http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/3-97-61/ch4.htm#fig4-25

P7160005.JPG

P7160008.JPG

P7160009.JPG

P7160012.JPG

test results from ope break bench and that a small tight turn of steel for the knot to take on but still will undo

RIMG0362.JPG

running 8 failed at 28kn
8 knot.jpg

ah cannot find bowline break results,,, its in my files but not popping up ATM memory says bowline failed at 25kn

If you're going old school, four. Bowline, running bowline, clove hitch and tautline.
If you're going new school, refer to all knots mentioned above.
That tiny list isn't enough. You cannot effectively tie two lines together with any of those knots, and none of them work for a mid-line knot.

I guess if your talent set does not include needing mid-line knots or joining two ropes, then you won't need those kind of knots. If you limit the knots you are willing to learn, in my humble opinion, then you are limiting your ability to do your job.

So far, no one has mentioned a good knot for tying onto the ball/hitch of a pickup so that it is as strong as possible, and will not ever bind up. If you think it's a bowline, you are not making the best choice.

Back