How many new saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logging22

Cuttin to live, livin to cut
Reaction score
I was just wondering about how many new saws loggers in different parts of the country use in a year? I bought seven new saws last year. Traded three in, kept the others as backup saws. What say ye??:msp_smile:

Funny thing... I was just sitting down tonight trying to work out how many saws I buy a year on average. We were trying to work out some more accurate estimates of the yearly cost of running the business. I worked out its an average of about 4 new saws a year for our residential tree service. I bought a couple used ones last year too, but they dont really count. Saws definitely aren't the biggest expense though. It can get a little depressing when you sit down and look at all the numbers :-(

Shaun

When I was cutting I was usually getting a new power head every 18 months, one per year in the really busy years.

The last big company I worked for was buying two new landing saws a month. This was more due to abuse than anything.
One big company near me (runs six sides on average) buys around 35 power heads/year.

When I was cutting I was usually getting a new power head every 18 months, one per year in the really busy years.

The last big company I worked for was buying two new landing saws a month. This was more due to abuse than anything.
One big company near me (runs six sides on average) buys around 35 power heads/year.

I used this timeline when I was falling timber as well. It amazes me know that I am a tree climber at how much money I can make with 2 gallons of gas.

I go about a year a new saw and only about 4-6 months before I get a new bar and chain

When I was cuttin' for the mill I bought a new saw once a year. The old saw was moved to backup, and the old backup would get sold........well, sometimes not if I really liked it.
Now that I've been demoted to a thinning contractor I'll use a saw a little longer, if somebody doesn't tear it up. Last year I switched from Dolmar to Stihl so I bought a few more than normal, I bought one 7900 before I gave up on my dealer. Then I bought a couple of new 460's, a used 460 and a used 440, then I bought 2 new ms261's for lop & scatter. I'm really hoping that I don't have to buy any saws this year. Maybe I'll sell off a few of the old 7900's.

Andy

Been logging and doing firewood for right about 20 years.

For myself, not counting "partners" who I shed in due course, I have had 5 saws, one I rebuilt after it seized. 2 got crushed beyond repair, or I'd still be running them. 1 got traded in towards the 357XP.

I don't understand why a man would need a new saw every 8 months. It has to be pure negligence, because I have cut a lot of timber and firewood in 20 years. And I do about zero maintenance on them myself- just drop them off when something lets go....I leave them out in the rain, sun, snow...no love beyond being careful and not abusing it when using it.

I'm not getting the fast turn around either. I had a 441, 260 and 660's that I "had" for 4-7 years before they were stolen and some had never had a carb kit in them. For most of their lives they ate 100LL AV gas and Amsoil Saber oil and they were all ported, no stock saws. I had bent some hands and broken some plastic here and there, but never did I sell one due to the fact that a new one was better or started better.

I have cut with other "loggers" or for other loggers and I find its pretty much just shear abuse that kills them, requiring the shorter lifespan. I sure don't baby mine, but I don't throw them around either, and I think I can handle one in the cut pretty good so they aren't always getting the guts dawged out of them. Some people can cut trees down, but really don't have very good saw handling skills and the saw takes the brunt of the force instead of seeing it about to happen and feathering the trigger or something, who knows. I get longer life out of most anything though, where as, I know others that could damage an anvil, there is a wide range of operators in between.

Sam

Oh sure ####er

There you go, ####in with me again... ###############################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################:rant: :potstir: :cheers: ornery ####er ain't ya :) That's alright, so am I:msp_thumbup:

Been logging and doing firewood for right about 20 years.

For myself, not counting "partners" who I shed in due course, I have had 5 saws, one I rebuilt after it seized. 2 got crushed beyond repair, or I'd still be running them. 1 got traded in towards the 357XP.

I don't understand why a man would need a new saw every 8 months. It has to be pure negligence, because I have cut a lot of timber and firewood in 20 years. And I do about zero maintenance on them myself- just drop them off when something lets go....I leave them out in the rain, sun, snow...no love beyond being careful and not abusing it when using it.

I was never negligent with my saws, but I was sure never cutting firewood neither...Most of my tenure was West Coast Busheling...burning on average 2 gallons of gas in 6 to 7 hours on modded saws with laser chains...I had to lay down lots of wood to make money and I sure was not gonna #### around with a saw that started giving me problems because of the sheer amount of wood that it had been through.

probably should stay out of this but ,,. some of these men put down more boardfeet of timber in one season to another s 10 seasons. not to start a pissin match over one coast over the other ,but i,ve seen the decks from some of these and i'm not seeing as much lumber laying . some people need to come out and spend a little time on some big strips out here and see the differentiates . a smart faller dont abuse his saws he wears them out. just sayin. hope the ramble made sence. theses pills are good.:msp_unsure:

Back