How many new saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And , not many fallers in Alaska run full skip chain , It works ok but semi skip is the best ballance ime . Doesn't rob your power on the stump and does pretty good in the limbs .

Did you find better stay sharp ability when working in that spruce with semi skip? It's been my experience that it'll dull a full skip after a while, compared to working in fir that is.

Ya it will dull a little quicker as is precieved . But its not that the the teeth dull faster but the saw does seem duller . With full skip that is .
With semi skip I get a full day on a chain and unless I got into the dirt bucking or threw my chain too many times .
Full comp is great for limbing , o k for bucking 3' dia. And smaller logs . But to have it set up for limbs it will suck for falling . Too agressive and it plugs up to easy and its alot harder on clutches . . Semi skip is a great comprimise . Still good on the stump and good in the limbs . . You can run an 8 tooth sprocket instead of a 7 . Without burning up your clutch . Keeps the chain speed up there by keeping the bar groove cleaned out better and keeping the chain + bar oiled better . I'de rather run full skip than full comp. Alot of the guys I've cut with that ran full comp like to think they were the greatest man to ever lace on a pair of cork shoes .
If your just limbing and bucking . Maybe full comp .

Yea I was thinkin just for workin on the landing semi skip would be good cuz ud maybe cut just a tad faster. I thought it would bog a saw down too much if your runnin an 8 pin though...

I knew some guys that ran full comp in Alder. I pretty much stuck with full skip.

Always kind of an interesting debate....It seems like it just depends on locale/species. The stuff we cut in Montana is kind of middle of the road, not soft, but not truly hard either. Full-comp sqaure seems to be the best option around here. Always interesting to see what works for others. -Sam

Always kind of an interesting debate....It seems like it just depends on locale/species. The stuff we cut in Montana is kind of middle of the road, not soft, but not truly hard either. Full-comp sqaure seems to be the best option around here. Always interesting to see what works for others. -Sam

That seems to be the prefered choice here too.

There were some top hands that ran full comp .
On the Coast as most of it is mixed species and tends to be pretty fat on the stump and its 90% old growth. You need Lots of power to pull 34" of cut in a tree . Its not if you will be in 4-6' on the stump timber .
But how much will be that size and bigger .
If a guy is a super man and can keep up with a 120 cc saw all day , day in day out . They can handle full comp. . But on average from 75-95 cc , running a 32-37" bar . Semi fits the bill . And if you have a 660 or 395 w
That you have a 50" bar for the occasional big tree . Ime your much better off with a 404 tip and a 7 tooth sprocket with full skip . It sure does work a guy alot less . Now that Oregon stopped making the Dura Pro chain .. That stuff was great . For the coast anyway .

Back