how much can 2 people split w/splitter/day?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, yeah! That old weekend warrior bit!

Vitamin C will take a LOT of the pain out the next day. Take it before you start working, take it at lunch, take it at night, and take it the next few days. It will make a HUGE difference.

And take enough - like 8 or 10 grams a day, not some stupid 250 milligrams.

Watch it though, at those dosages, if you are not used to it, you'll think it's Ex-Lax. :D

I don't know anything about the curative powers of Vitamin C, however I have had good luck with 8 t0 10 cold beers over the course of an evening following a hard day with a chainsaw or splitter.

Hey Cruzer I think it's going to be really tuff to split 4 to 5 cords in 10 hours with 2 people. I have an hour meter on my splitter and have split 10.5 cords in 35 hours. Those are splitting hours only. Most of it was with at least 2 people and sometimes 3 . My splitter is 8hp briggs that will run 2 hours on its 1 gallon tank, with 12 second cycle times. I can't seem to get below 3 hours per cord. All of it has been Oak up to 24'' rounds . Just my experience. Good luck with your splitting.:givebeer: :givebeer: :cheers:
your time is realistic. when I had my huskee splitter 2 of us could do a face cord an hour, thats a full cord in 3 hrs. last weekend 3 of us did 2 full cord in two hrs with my tw-5. you need 3 people to be efficient with that one.

Can you split wood for 8-10hours straight, min lunch break?

"I could split it all by hand but it will take more time than i have at the moment to devote to my wood pile"

I don't know what kind of wood you are splitting, but using a hydraulic splitter is NOT faster than splitting with a maul. If it's oak I can split a 26" round in 1/4 the time it takes on a splitter. Now, granted that may seem like work, but if it is speed you are after then split the straight stuff by hand and use the splitter for the knotty, gnarly stuff.

Try splitting 4 hours with a maul, then take a 'break' and split the gnarly stuff on the splitter, then split a couple of more hours with the maul.
You'll end up with a bigger pile, smaller a$$, and a longer life to enjoy it.

Try splitting 4 hours with a maul, then take a 'break' and split the gnarly stuff on the splitter, then split a couple of more hours with the maul.
You'll end up with a bigger pile, smaller a$$, and a longer life to enjoy it.

Yep. I got a splitter for two reasons:

1. A lot of the wood I get is big oak crotches. It just ain't gonna split with a maul anytime this century!
  2. I hurt my foot and couldn't split manually for about 6 months. Now it's the elbow! GRRR! Gotta have the splitter or no wood for the stove.

But now that the foot's healed up, and the elbow is getting there, I'm looking forward to swinging the maul again. I just work through the pile, splitting what I can, and setting aside the gnarly stuff. Then I fire up the splitter and work on the gnarly pile. Works well for me.

Yep. I got a splitter for two reasons:

1. A lot of the wood I get is big oak crotches. It just ain't gonna split with a maul anytime this century!
  2. I hurt my foot and couldn't split manually for about 6 months. Now it's the elbow! GRRR! Gotta have the splitter or no wood for the stove.

But now that the foot's healed up, and the elbow is getting there, I'm looking forward to swinging the maul again. I just work through the pile, splitting what I can, and setting aside the gnarly stuff. Then I fire up the splitter and work on the gnarly pile. Works well for me.

Mark, I would have thought that now the foot is healed and the elbow is getting better this would be the ideal time to sell the maul at a tag sale before you do some permanent damage.

Mark, I would have thought that now the foot is healed and the elbow is getting better this would be the ideal time to sell the maul at a tag sale before you do some permanent damage.

:D

Well, I hurt the foot by falling off a log, actually. It was easy as, well... Hmmm.

Anyway, I found out that round things roll. Amazing stuff, eh? :dizzy:

BONEHEAD! :greenchainsaw:

Tore up the ligaments on the bottom of the foot - the plantar fascia. So, not a maul issue.

The elbow is some old fashioned tennis elbow, from pounding in some fence posts too long one day, then trying to toss a firewood chunk with a football type throw.

Bummer.

But it will be well healed before I swing that maul again. I'm not going to chance further damage.

Glad I got the splitter.

Latest posts

Back