how much is a old and worn 272xp worth?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd548esco72

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
dropped in on a pawn shop today. they had a very old and worn 272xp sitting on the shelf. the saw is very dirty, missing one of its bar nutz, has some dents in the muffler. the bar and chain look like they came from the pulpwood cutting days ie the late1970s or 80s. the bar looked OK but the chain was worn about out. the old 272xp looked to be all there. no visible damage. i didn't get to start it up cause they were busy at that time and i wasn't sure what or if i should make a offer on it. i did pull the rope and it felt like it still had decent PSI in the jug.

what would be a fair offer for an older 272xp that might need some work?

dropped in on a pawn shop today. they had a very old and worn 272xp sitting on the shelf. the saw is very dirty, missing one of its bar nutz, has some dents in the muffler. the bar and chain look like they came from the pulpwood cutting days ie the late1970s or 80s. the bar looked OK but the chain was worn about out. the old 272xp looked to be all there. no visible damage. i didn't get to start it up cause they were busy at that time and i wasn't sure what or if i should make a offer on it. i did pull the rope and it felt like it still had decent PSI in the jug.

what would be a fair offer for an older 272xp that might need some work?

After watching Pawn Stars on TV I'd start out at 75 bucks.

After watching Pawn Stars on TV I'd start out at 75 bucks.

i think that is good advise. i was thinking somewhere between $70 and $100 depending on how it runs. it might have a bad clutch or oiler and then again it might run well. won't know till i try to start it up.

:cheers:

I always follow the rule that you can start start low and go up,it is real tough to back a deal down after you throw a number out that is too high.Rather insult them and then work up to a reasonable price.:D

+1 on the $75-100. If it is complete and runs, close to $100 for starting point. OEM piston is around $89, bearings are around $20ea and a full seal/gasket is around $20. Good clutch covers w/brake handles are hard to find at a decent price so if it's good that's a plus. So bring a set of allen wrenches and pull the muffler and see how the piston and jug look.

It's a heck of a saw and has all the power I need with a 20inch bar on it.

Jon

Back