How much throttle when cutting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When bucking I slow down and, or blip the throttle when nearing the end of the cut close to the ground. The same when nearing the final hinge felling usually. Trees with a lot of lean or wind pulling or pushing the tree in the right direction I may push the saw faster or harder at the end to avoid splitting the log or a possible barberchair.
Wide open most the time though but I am not sacrificing the control I get slowing down when needed for control.
I went through a chainsaw training course and 1 of the students would go through the end of the cut wide open time after time and eventually lost control on 1 and the bar + chain bounced off her chaps and ripped them open.
Never had a problem with the saws leaning out, but I would say in a long hard cut they probably are cooling better wide open and mix is being burned at its optimum. To the best of my knowledge when rpm's are dropping is the leanest condition when an engine is running . I was told this by an motorcycle mechanic years ago and I remember at least 1 motorcycle that seized on me when I let off on the throttle coasting in gear.

.. Trees with a lot of lean or wind pulling or pushing the tree in the right direction I may push the saw faster or harder at the end to avoid splitting the log or a possible barberchair.

right, I correct myself. sometimes wide open all the way. send that puppy packing and clear out. depends on the tree and how good you were to that point.

Back