How much wood have I got split?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
full cords are the only way to measure IMO.

I tend to agree. To be on the same page we need to use clearly defined terms. Being sheltered in my own neck of the woods I never heard the term "face cord" till coming here. I understand it to be a single row of wood 8 feet long and 4 foot high. This term is used regardless of the length to which the wood is cut. Am I correct?

I tend to agree. To be on the same page we need to use clearly defined terms. Being sheltered in my own neck of the woods I never heard the term "face cord" till coming here. I understand it to be a single row of wood 8 feet long and 4 foot high. This term is used regardless of the length to which the wood is cut. Am I correct?

Same thing here, never heard of a face cord in Maine.

That's my thinking.

But if its really 4ft then it would be 3 rows of 16" pieces.

4ftx12"/3=16"

Wish not to steal the tread and plenty has been said about wood measurement. But here [were I am] at least the standard for firewood is 16 inches in length. If you have 3 rolls of 16 inch wood which are 8 feet long and 4 feet high, it's a cord. If you cut another length it still needs to be 128 cubic feet total.

So a face cord would be 1/3 a cord only if the wood is cut 16 inches. If said wood is 32 inches then a face cord would be 2/3 a cord. I guess.

Wish not to steal the tread and plenty has been said about wood measurement. But here [were I am] at least the standard for firewood is 16 inches in length. If you have 3 rolls of 16 inch wood which are 8 feet long and 4 feet high, it's a cord. If you cut another length it still needs to be 128 cubic feet total.

So a face cord would be 1/3 a cord only if the wood is cut 16 inches. If said wood is 32 inches then a face cord would be 2/3 a cord. I guess.

I wont sell face cord. Sell by cord buy by cord.

I wont sell face cord. Sell by cord buy by cord.

Well when you ask $225 a cord, and Harry Homeowners says he does not need that much wood, and offers $100 for a face cord, you would. I've found a face fits nicely into the back of a pickup easily, and can be unloaded without messing up your Dockers work pants too much.

Well when you ask $225 a cord, and Harry Homeowners says he does not need that much wood, and offers $100 for a face cord, you would. I've found a face fits nicely into the back of a pickup easily, and can be unloaded without messing up your Dockers work pants too much.

I agree a lot of people don't need a whole cord a year or want to mess with that much at one time. A rick (face Cord) fits pretty good in the back of a truck and that is all a lot of people have to haul with. Oh yea I think you got about 7 rick there.

Last edited:

I hear what you're saying. Do you price the face cord depending on wood length?

From my experience people that get delivery they want cord(s). A face cord or a 100$ of wood they usually have their own truck and come get it themselves.

Then again i don't sell a lot of wood like some of you.

Latest posts

Back