How much wood/year?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Approximately 7 cord, but I run two stoves and my house, while well insulated, is large. Still have to run the oil heat in the master bedroom zone. Around here a cord of wood is always 128 cu.ft.

I used 5 full cords through this past winter which was a colder than normal for us. That was almost all through the cookstove and small Jotul. This year I will add a larger heater stove (and flue) on the middle chimney and not need the Jotul. I'm doing this too avoid the oil furnace kicking on at 2am-6am as it did last year. Just gonna be for backup only from now on out (at $4+ per gal). That said, I'll have about 7 full cords good to go with backup (2yr out) wood in rounds and quarters. :cheers:

Last year we burned about about 7 full cords. This year my wood row is around 8 full cords split and stacked. Aint gonna stop bringing wood home. What I dont burn this winter will be burned the next.

Approx 8 cords last year, which was one of the worst winters on record. Lots of snow and cold temps. It gets friggin cold up here in the North Country.

I'll be cutting and splitting far more than 8 cords this year, as we had some logging done on the family property this past winter and I had the logger skid me out about 35 cords of log length firewood.
(I may have bitten off more than I can chew :monkey: :greenchainsaw:)

Burned about 5 full cords this winter

1300 sq ft house, fuel oil furnace, Regency wood stove on main floor.

I save about $1000 per year burning wood. Poplar for fall and spring, elm and pine for the dead of winter (which had a lot of -30°C this year).

Roughly about 6 Cords of Doug Fur and mixed in with that about 2 cords of Dry Madrone. This damn new wood stove we got, the epa approved blah blah blah. So the house insurance will cover it. It really doesn't like hard wood. But it heats the house.

2000 sq ft home, wood heat, dont heat my water with wood. 8-10 cords.
I live on a hill, with few trees surrounding me(not for long, planted 140 seedlings this spring!)

1000 sq ft home and I burn about 3-1/2 full cord of wood this last year and I plan on trying to keep it burning all night this coming winter. because of that I am expecting 4-1/2 to 5 cord a year, time will tell.

I have almost 10 cord cut and split with 7 of that stacked so far.

Dave

1100 sq ft home I burned about 4-1/2 full cord this winter. I have 7 cord cut, split and stacked seasoning for next. :clap:

quote from chainsawaddict "If a tree falls in the forest, and nobody is around, does it make a sound."

I learned that one a little different. "If a man speaks in the forest and there is no woman around to hear him, Is he still wrong?"

Our Usage

Well I was bored so I finally figured out our total wood usage for this past season. We ended up using right around 4.5 cords here in Northeast Ohio. We started burning in late October and pretty much continued on a regular bases till the beginning to middle of april. By regular bases I mean around the clock except when we needed to empty ashes. We burned with a 2.5 cubic foot country insert.

We burned three cords. We moved into the house in January and burned until mid march. Planning on having ten cords this year. We will only burn six or seven, but I would rather have too much than too little.

113 year old house, 2500 square feet and I burned right around 4 full cords last winter. I ran out of seasoned wood by the end of March. I think I could have burned into May if I had the wood ready.

Josh

2600 sq ft built 1990.Classic boiler,hot water baseboard,keep heat at 73 because of cathedral ceiling.8-9 cords of mostly pine and poplar with a little bit of cherry.

Help me Estimate

4 year old house, great insulation , double pane argon windows, I heat approx 3700sq ft, first floor t-stat sets back to 50 deg 7pm-7am (1800 sq ft), hooking CB 5036 OWB into existing hydonic system with 30 plate water-to-water exchanger. I have unlimited wood so if I have 12 full cords seasoned HW is that enough? Thank You in advance for your help.

Near 7 cords used from hunting season through May. It was a loooong winter last year. 2 stoves going 24/7 with propane space heater for those "go away for a weekend days" in winter. 1/2 the house is closed up; the gas heats up to ~ 55 F for the pipes.

How many of you use wood for 100% of heating ? No, "up from 55 degrees", or "it kicks on" . Just wood, all the time, all the heat.

BTW: If you want to fool with the "face cord" fool stuff, let us know what you've decided to use for that measure. From the C.N. ( Cord Nazi) :
1 cord = a stack 4'X4'X8'. That's it, used universally across N. America.

Signing out. I am dismissed.

Approx. 10-12 full cord...burning oct. - may, 3800sq ft heat and dom. water. Woodmaster 5500. Also heating barn but only while working in it...maybe 6-8 days through the winter.
Mid michigan here for weather idea.

Bowtechmadman

Thanks for your reply, your situation sounds like mine, I'm going to have 16 cords ready then weather permitting do another 8 or so in October-Nov for a jump on 2009-10 season. :chainsaw:

200+ year old house at 2500 sq ft with surprisingly "decent" insulation (always tweeking on it). The windows of course are problems even with storms. I'll use 6-7 full cords (are there really any other kind?) through two stoves this year. Last year I only used the Glenwood kitchen cookstove and used 3-4 cord and some (300gal) oil. This year, I'm not paying $4.89 a gal and am re-hooking up the second stove. I've got the wood and it's all 2 yr seasoned mixed hard woods, so Darling, I know we've got a new carpet in there but keep the vacume handy cause the second stove is going back in service! :cheers:

Latest posts

Back