How much would you charge?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping

ArboristSite Operative
He drive 120 miles one way to where he works now in a 1992 F 350 Ford diesel pick up I am sure that gets great mileage.

Good Lord!! My '06 F-350 Powerstroke gets 10.4 mpg loaded, empty, uphill or downhill. That's with a Banks 6 gun tuner and a 4" Banks exhaust. He must be making a good wage just to pay for the diesel fuel.

howellhandmade

howellhandmade

Addicted to ArboristSite
Well there is noothing there that I woud want.I own 100 times the land he does so wood is of no interest to me.He takes the winter off every year ( lay off ) and does not try to search for work .His wife has been out of work for 20 years she cannot go back to work as she is to stunninly beautiful and all the men constantly look,leer,and in general harass her.they own 3 useless horse's cannot afford to feed them and are always asking if anyone has hay Reasonable so they can afford it. In my opinion they bring it all on themselves.in the summer he has just recently gone back to work after being fired about 2 years ago.He drive 120 miles one way to where he works now in a 1992 F 350 Ford diesel pick up I am sure that gets great mileage.

I wouldn't let anybody touch my equipment, first thing, just for liability reasons. You have 100 times the land he does, NOW. Wait until he nicks himself with your saw.

His wife has really been out of work for 20 years because men leer at her? Has anyone told her about clothes? Maybe sarcasm was intended, maybe that's more his problem than hers. At any rate, sounds like a mess, good luck getting your $35/hour.

barneyrb

barneyrb

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I'm surprised no one has suggested this, call your nearest neighborhood rental yard and find out what everything you are taking to the job rents for. I think this will open your eyes as to how cheap you actually are. Don't forget to add your hourly wage to this also.

BTW.....I have a JD990 with FEL and lots of equipment and if I hire out it's $80/hr and starts when the tractor goes on the trailer.

So in some way he's fallen on harder times, whether self induced or otherwise. It's not going to be a money maker for you at all. $35 an hour may or may not cover your actual expenses but he approached you with an expectation to pay something. How long you figure to cut 6 cord of log length logs and to yard for him?

Guido Salvage

Guido Salvage

Supreme Saw Whoreder
I suspect the rate that you charge will be immaterial as it appears that he may have little capacity or inclination to pay no matter what you decide to charge. Managing risks is a critical part of any business enterprise, so unless you have an ironclad contract, a good lawyer and payment for the job sitting in an escrow account, I would not even consider doing this job.

Relying on this forum for business advice is probably not the best policy either....

jus2fat

jus2fat

Two Harley Fatboys
I'm in full agreement with Guido Salvage.
(especially after hearing about this dude's character rating)

There would definitely be $$ put 'up-front' before starting..!!

When that was used up...more $$ put up..!! Sort of pay-as-you-go..!!

If he won't do that...you got to walk away..!!!!
:cheers:
J2F

tallguys

tallguys

Addicted to ArboristSite
There's an old country sayin'..

"Friends and relatives are WORSE than strangers"...LOL..!!

There's another one that says "no good deed goes unpunished..."

Many people seem to think that since you already own the equipment and maintain it in due course that there is really no additional cost and so take umbrage when in fact you are really trying to help them out. Business with friends and family is always a delicate issue.

Jeff Lary

Jeff Lary

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Well I said 35.00 and I will do it this time for that but he already knows this is the last time 50.00 per hr from now on. He really has no clue,.... supposedly used to be a wood cutter.Told me "if we start early 7 am or so should be able to do this by the atfternoon" I said I thought you said 6 coards or so ? to me I know I cannot put up 6 coard of anything in one day. He then said well it is only 10-15 trees. Well which is it 6 coard or 15 trees?,,, "both he said they are pretty big trees". I guess I did not know we were cutting redwoods.
Around here it takes between 8 - 15 trees 8" to 12" on the stump to make a coard of wood.

Anthony_Va.

Anthony_Va.

XPW Fan Club
You are about to get the "Royal Reaming" of your young life..!!

I highly doubt you will make this mistake again..!!
:cheers:
J2F

I agreee.

Are you going into this job sight unseen? Man I would have at least went to check out this jobsite first. Youre going to end up f-ing your tractor up over 35 bucks.

I aint tryin to be mean or anything but I've been there, done that. If anyone tells you your price is too high, tell them to go buy a new tractor and some new implements for it.

From my experience, when you run into a job that gives you that bad vibe just walk away from it. It'll save you alot of headache.

I hope you stick around the forum man. It's a good place to learn alot as long as your wearing your BS detectors. :msp_thumbup:

Be sure you let us know how the job goes. Maybe you'll end up feeding a few of us some good ole crow.

Jeff Lary

Jeff Lary

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I agreee.

Are you going into this job sight unseen? Man I would have at least went to check out this jobsite first. Youre going to end up f-ing your tractor up over 35 bucks.

I aint tryin to be mean or anything but I've been there, done that. If anyone tells you your price is too high, tell them to go buy a new tractor and some new implements for it.

From my experience, when you run into a job that gives you that bad vibe just walk away from it. It'll save you alot of headache.

I hope you stick around the forum man. It's a good place to learn alot as long as your wearing your BS detectors. :msp_thumbup:

Be sure you let us know how the job goes. Maybe you'll end up feeding a few of us some good ole crow.

Oh god yea I will be around,And I will keep you informed as to how it goes. I dont know what to say I could BS you but the truth is this.When I was 10 my dad died and it left me and mom to do everything me being 10 at the time i was'nt as much help as she needed.Everyone that ever hepled her and there were not many always took advantage of her.I always wondered why people just couldnt help out once and a while but they never seemed to.When I was 11 she got a ride for us to a saw shop 20 miles away and bought me a jonsered 510 sp. The man at the shop said kid you will get yourself killed,....pretty encouraging for mom to hear. Well I did not, nor did i cut the 13 coard of wood she needed every winter but I cut some, poplar, ceder, maple, birch and i learned .Over the next few years I helped everybody i could and said i always would but that way of thinking can sometimes become a problem. I just have a soft spot of for the needy i guess.

tallguys

tallguys

Addicted to ArboristSite
I just have a soft spot of for the needy i guess.

And there is nothing wrong with that. We didn't always have it easy, either. Just remember though, that the Lord helps those who help themselves. This neighbour of yours, his wife doesn't work because men look at her? You've got to be kidding. Their situation is nothing like that of you and your mother's.

There is a big difference between those in need and those who are looking for a free ride.

Jeff Lary

Jeff Lary

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
And there is nothing wrong with that. We didn't always have it easy, either. Just remember though, that the Lord helps those who help themselves. This neighbour of yours, his wife doesn't work because men look at her? You've got to be kidding. Their situation is nothing like that of you and your mother's.

There is a big difference between those in need and those who are looking for a free ride.

Amen to the free ride I think she is one of those harrasment people who use the system to sue

Guido Salvage

Guido Salvage

Supreme Saw Whoreder
Amen to the free ride I think she is one of those harrasment people who use the system to sue

And you very well may be next.... I would walk away from the job no matter what he offers to pay, the risk is far too high for any payment you may receive. An easy out would be to say that you spoke to your insurance agent and that you have no liability coverage in the event of an accident.

When going into business the greatest mistake people make is undervaluing their services. I have done consulting work and the only way you can calculate a rate is to know all the variables that go into the equation. You have to add all the factors, your time, your equipment, all insurance coverage (health, auto, liability, workers comp, etc.), fuel, taxes, repairs, depreciation, ancillary equipment, etc.

Latest posts