How much??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy Crap‼
Can I bring the '73 (maybe '72, maybe '74) Family Truckster
Please.... Please ‼

me2-jpg.389359
I twig to the girl in the red top and the white birches in the background.

Unfortunately, maybe 2 cords... It's been warmer and drier than usual. We actually had a small brush fire by my house a couple of weeks ago. Not sure how it started but burned about 1.5 acres.

Heating degree days are figured on a base temperature (typically 65°) verses the average temperature for the day. The base of 65° is used because that's considered "good enough for comfort". So, for example, if the high temp for a day 24 hour period was 48°, the low was 36°, the average would be 42°. Next you subtract that value from the base (65° - 42° = 23°), making that day equal to 23 heating degree days.

In all honesty, the calculation can be as complicated as the "user" wants it to be. For example, the temperature could be recorded every hour and then averaged... which may make the average for the above example higher or lower (depending). And, because most of us heat our homes closer to 70°-75°, the "base" should be adjusted. Heating degree days are a measure of energy required to heat a building, but because heat loss varies depending on insulation and whatnot, and everyone heats to their own comfort level, it's more of a simple comparison tool... day-to-day, month-to-month, year-to-year, etc. As long as the calculation remains constant for each time period/location, one can be compared to another.

I just use the numbers from wunderground.com... they use a 65° base, but I have no idea how complicated or involved the calculation is other than that. A quick check of the period from October 15 through March 15 in Gainesville, Georgia came up with 2771 heating degree days verses the 6045 heating degree days here. But that's not allowing for differences in our homes (size, insulation, number of floors, windows, wind at location, and whatnot). For the calculations to be "accurate" (as far as energy used), the temperature we heat our homes to, and a heat loss assessment for each would need to be part of the calculation.

We had to learn a lot about heat loss calculations including advanced degree-day calculations in Architecture school. I remember that it was interesting but time consuming.
The many variables that you mentioned become a factor for that building as does the quality of construction.
What I mean by this is that it's not just how much insulation you have in your attic for example, but if the installer follows the correct methods to ensure that the installation meets or exceeds the current building code requirements. Vapour barriers are a notoriously improperly installed piece of an envelope as are properly vented attics and poorly insulated window and door rough-ins.In other words if you reduce air leakage, you can reduce the heating and cooling loads of the structure.

We had to learn a lot about heat loss calculations including advanced degree-day calculations in Architecture school. I remember that it was interesting but time consuming.
The many variables that you mentioned become a factor for that building as does the quality of construction.
What I mean by this is that it's not just how much insulation you have in your attic for example, but if the installer follows the correct methods to ensure that the installation meets or exceeds the current building code requirements. Vapour barriers are a notoriously improperly installed piece of an envelope as are properly vented attics and poorly insulated window and door rough-ins.In other words if you reduce air leakage, you can reduce the heating and cooling loads of the structure.

I live in a 91 mobile home. Its got more drafts than the army! When I'm outside in the cold i look over at my dog in the 10x10 kennel with tarp on roof and think, hmm I'll bet she feels like I do in my house. LOL

Back