How NOT to sharpen your chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe that Carlton has a similar one, in the file-O-plate.

Don't use the ones that sits on the top of a couple of teeth.

The Carlton File O Plates are the ones that sit on top .

attachment.php

1) If needed clean bar groove/oiler area and flip bar.
2) tension chain
3) Clamp bar in bench vise ca. 4" from saw (in the woods I cut a groove in a stump/log to hold the bar)
4) apply chain brake
4a) Put on TWO gloves, file rakers to depth if needed, take off brake, spin chain,brake again, until rakers are all even, round the raker noses
5) Sharpen cutters on far side of the bar (I'm a inside/out filer).
6) Take off brake, spin chain,brake again.
7) Continue sharpening far side cutters until that side is finished.
8) Flip saw around in vise, file the other side

The Husky singletooth ones, that often is combined with the roller guide, works really well, as they produce a sloped raker that is adjusted to the individual tooth.

None of the local dealers carry these; does anyone have a good online source for them? (I already tried Amicks and Baileys - if they have them, they're doing a good job of hiding them from the general public.)

-=[ Grant ]=-

You should see this guy's "How to Properly Fell a Tree" series. Plenty of LOL's

One of my favorite YT comments was on one of the felling videos and stated something like, "Expert Village, more like Idiot Village".

How to Cut Down a Tree & How to Fell a Tree Safely

This video could also serve as an argument for how effective his sharpening methods are. His Husky is practically shooting out dust.

Dang! Now that was bad. He could use a sharper chain and more saw. Also, he did not get any style points for the way the took the wedge out of his face cut. Only newbies use their hands. :)

Dang! Now that was bad. He could use a sharper chain and more saw. Also, he did not get any style points for the way the took the wedge out of his face cut. Only newbies use their hands. :)

Did anyone else watch this guy fall this tree,my mini grinder would cut faster than that. However it did fall where he wanted it ,leaning trees and gravity go hand in hand. LOL
Pioneerguy600

That should simply be removed from youtube for fear that someone may actually follow his advice. I've cut trees faster then that with my baby homelite XL. That shouldn't have taken as long as it did... I think it's all been said now but WOW!

That should simply be removed from youtube for fear that someone may actually follow his advice. I've cut trees faster then that with my baby homelite XL. That shouldn't have taken as long as it did... I think it's all been said now but WOW!

did watch yet but that says volumes about the peeps defending his sharpening technics/video.

:biggrinbounce2:

You should see this guy's "How to Properly Fell a Tree" series. Plenty of LOL's

One of my favorite YT comments was on one of the felling videos and stated something like, "Expert Village, more like Idiot Village".

For those that approve his filing technique, his felling video is proof in the pudding his chain doesn't cut swat :eek: . No way he can hold a decent cutting angle the way he swings his file around the edge.

As for his tree felling techniques....this guy should be banned for advertising unsafe work practices.

And that's all I have to say about that.:)

Well said!! LOL No one has said a peep sense then to defend themselves.

Sounds like a challenge, czar.

As I stated several posts ago, I touch up my chains by filing free hand when I'm cutting in the woods. After I get done, they throw chips just like they should. It's not a big deal to do it, just proper technique applied with some attention to detail.

There, I said a peep, but don't get the wrong idea I was defending myself. Just braggin' on my abilities... :)

I don't doubt anyones technique with sharpening other then this idiot on the youtube video. He showed us the crazy method and then showed us that on his saw not performing! If you say you use the same method for sharpening I wanna see videos lol. Either way that guy needs to be removed or added into the comedy section at the very least. They've even removed ratings and comments to that video!

He showed the way then burned himself with a lit cigarette. Good for him.

Josh

I thought that was the same guy from the felling videos. He hasn't a clue what he's doing. I'm an inside out filer myself and have in all honesty never seen someone who did it outside in get a sharp chain. My old man used to do it that way till I showed him my method. He doesn't throw away chains nearly as often now. Maybe the other way works but I've yet to see proof.

i am new at it, heres my $.02

I thought that was the same guy from the felling videos. He hasn't a clue what he's doing. I'm an inside out filer myself and have in all honesty never seen someone who did it outside in get a sharp chain. My old man used to do it that way till I showed him my method. He doesn't throw away chains nearly as often now. Maybe the other way works but I've yet to see proof.

i'm new at sharpening. i asked tom hall to check out my chain for me when i brought in the saw. told him i was new at sharpening and i had just touched it up after cutting big dead dry red oak. about the 8th-10th sharpening. he said the chain looked good, quote him as saying 'razor sharp'.

i hand sharpen with no guide from the outside in.
i have an oregon bar mount file guide that locks in the angles for the occasional 'truing up' of the angles. have not needed the guide yet.

i think taking your time and paying attention to what you are doing makes all the difference in sharpening a chain. file in or file out... i think if one works on their technique, whatever it is and really tries, they can get a good sharp chain.

Last edited:
i think taking your time and paying attention to what you are doing makes all the difference in sharpening a chain. file in or file out... i think if one works on their technique, whatever it is and really tries, they can get a good sharp chain.

I think that probably hits the nail on the head. I've just never seen it done outside in successfully, but if it works for you, let the chips fly.

Come on guy's.......To each their own.
You can't possibly watch that video and say that his chain won't cut. Maybe it won't cut as well as your's, and maybe it will.
I agree that he moved the file around too much, but that may be due to being on video, I'm a little bashfull too.
Most of you would pick my filing apart. I don't file round worth a crap, I use square filed chain. Several guy's around here pick on my method, but it's how I taught myself and it works for me.
A lot of times when cutting I'm a mile or more from the truck, I ain't packing out to clamp the bar in a vice, and I sure as heck ain't packing a vice in with me. I carry 1 extra chain, but that's incase my chain get's damaged bad enough it would take too long to to file it.
If we all did everything the same, how dull would this world be? And where would we come up with any improvement's in anything?
If your chain's cut well, keep on keeping on. You've just seen how someone else does it.

Andy

Well said Andy, I wish I could file a square chain as "badly" as you BTW.

Sounds like a challenge, czar.

As I stated several posts ago, I touch up my chains by filing free hand when I'm cutting in the woods. After I get done, they throw chips just like they should. It's not a big deal to do it, just proper technique applied with some attention to detail.

There, I said a peep, but don't get the wrong idea I was defending myself. Just braggin' on my abilities... :)

No challenge, I too sharpen my chains by hand with a Stihl file guide and they throw chip as well. I was just surprised because I don't file like that guy and it seem it me others do. I use proper tools and technique plus control. It only take a few minutes if the chain is not damaged.

Latest posts

Back