How often do you clean behind your sprocket cover?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernithebiker

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm kind of curious how often you pros out there (and non-pros!) clean out all the gunk behind the sprocket cover, and what are the consequences if you do not.

I find that I do it about every 5 to 10 tankfuls, depending on wood conditions.

It's a bit of a pain, as it's sticky oily sawdust in all the crevices, and it takes a while, but I figure it can't be good for the chainbrake or oiling system to be too full of dust. (and it makes the saw a bit lighter too!)

I use an old toothbrush and WD40. As per Husky's instructions I try to inject grease into the central sprocket bearing, using their crap little grease gun that comes with the saw. But I'm never really sure how much is getting in there - how essential is this?

Thanks!

I clean the area every time I have the cover off, I take the air compressor and blow it all out. From time to time I take a degreaser and spray it all down and do a better job, especially before I store the saw for any length of time.

.... As per Husky's instructions I try to inject grease into the central sprocket bearing, using their crap little grease gun that comes with the saw. But I'm never really sure how much is getting in there - how essential is this?

Not essential at all, that bearing only is in use when the saw is at idle - and I agree those grease guns are POS...

I usually clean under the bar cover after each use, unless it is just a few cuts- either with compressed air or with brushes.

yup, whenever the clutch cover is off give it all a brush/wipe down...

so every day or two (of use) when youre flipping the bar. or whenever it needs it i.e when youre having to do a bit of ripping and are pulling curlies...

Stihl users should go as far as pulling the plastic cover that surrounds the clutch. I have seen saws with so much material built up under the clutch that the oiler would jam up. I break everything down and spray it down with a high quality degreaser and pressure wash everything. Fire up the saw and warm it up till dry. Makes for an extremely well maintained machine.

I sometimes get the urge to clean behind the sprocket cover after reading AS for a while if I'm not at my camp where I can simply run my saws to get my 'itch scratched'.

It's an easy job with compressed air, and only takes a couple of minutes. Except for the little 180 that has that stupid and worthless QCA that has to be disassembled when cleaning or flipping the bar. :mad:

Hi,

I give it a quick cleaning with an old paintbrush at the end of the day otherwise it only gets a good cleaning before being put away for the summer (as does the rest of the saw).

The sprocket bearing gets greased once a week. I threw the Husqvarna "grease gun" away after a quick and failed attempt at getting it to work.

Bye

My saw mechanic recommended I use Oil Eater to clean the air filter. I now use it to clean the entire saw, usually in the sink with hot water my the spousal unit is not home. Since I'm pulling brush and driving wedges etc my saws idle more then a firewood saw so I try to grease the bearing once a week on the Stihl's. That way I can inspect the clutch and clean out the oily sawdust. The loose stuff gets knocked out everytime the clutch cover is off.

very rarely. usually someone will grab the cover when I'm in there and scrape it off with a saw wrench, but I hardly ever bother myself. my saws work, don't have any showpieces.
wait, I cleaned them up (kinda) during the GTG this past April! lol.

imo, why really bother? its just dust, running it will refill it, and running it will keep it knocked down anyway. only time I ever saw one real bad was when I used it to cut some roots, but hey, I asked for that one. old 017 (root saw)
anyway.
if ya really worry about it, rub the cover over your street broom bristles. or use non stick cooking spray on it in there. lol.
-Ralph, kinda in a mood today.

heck ralph... I am the same way. Mine get packed full of crud all the time. I never let it get so built up that the chain won't spin. But my saws are sittin' in my shop right now with 2 months of crap under the covers.

Sometimes if you smack the cover... a lot of it will fall out anyways...:hmm3grin2orange:

Gary

Hello!!!!!!

heck ralph... I am the same way. Mine get packed full of crud all the time. I never let it get so built up that the chain won't spin. But my saws are sittin' in my shop right now with 2 months of crap under the covers.

Sometimes if you smack the cover... a lot of it will fall out anyways...:hmm3grin2orange:

Gary

Usually,,,,,, on mine only if somethings broke or just normal maintenance..... and thats......

Only if I have to work under it,,,,like to get to a worm gear or clutch drum,,, I dont have any show pieces!!!!!

I have work saws,,,, if they have wood chips, dust and oil caked on em,,, well thats usually a good sign!!!!!!!!! :chainsawguy: :cheers: :notrolls2:

Last edited:
Those covers come off for maintenance? Neat.

I didn't think you were supposed to remove the covers until the chain needed replaced!:dizzy:

Now that right there is funny.

Mine has a tag that says "No Loser Servicable Parts Inside. Do not remove under penalty of law."

So, well, you know...

Latest posts

Back