How often do you clean your chainsaw air filter ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I blow out under the chain cover and air filter every session. Frequency of replacement depends on too many things to apply to every use case. For instance, if your saw has a lot of reversion or oil leak mucking up the filter, it needs replaced much sooner than if not.

Once per season definitely wouldn’t be enough for my use. My old Husqvarna 61 air filter is still original but it’s also much easier to clean than the 562 filter. I’m probably going to stop by the dealer today and ask about a new filter and see what they recommend.
But I’m still definitely interested to hear what a few more folks from arborist site recommend

I own a Husqvarna 562XP, bought it new about 5 years ago. I’m curious about whats the recommended way to clean the air filter ? Or how often it should be replaced ?
I wouldn't bother cleaning it when it gets dirty. Husqvarna has issued an updated filter design for the older 562xp saws which addresses some of the issues with the original design. You'll find lots of air filter update kits floating around the old Interwebs for your saw.

Here's a random Youtube video of a fellow updating his filter:

Once per season definitely wouldn’t be enough for my use. My old Husqvarna 61 air filter is still original but it’s also much easier to clean than the 562 filter. I’m probably going to stop by the dealer today and ask about a new filter and see what they recommend.
But I’m still definitely interested to hear what a few more folks from arborist site recommend

I think you misread "session" as "season". Every time I use it.

I think you misread "session" as "season". Every time I use it.
I noticed that also. Good catch. I clean the air filter with every chain sharpening, which in my case is after every time I go through a couple of tanks of fuel. I cut lots of hardwood such as oak, locust and ash.

Not familiar with the husky setup. Mine is every 2-3 tanks on my Stihl's. Sometimes I'll use some starting fluid on them to loosen up the grime but mostly just air. I guess it would depend on how much you cut and what your cutting. I put a new one on at least once a year depending on what the old one looks like.

On the older style STIHL saws (loosely fit top covers, felt or mesh filters), we had to clean them frequently, as they would fill up with chips. Sometimes, several times per day.

On the newer style (top cover held tightly with screws, pleated, paper filters) with the ‘cyclonic pre-separation’ stuff, they typically get cleaned once per day, as part of an overall saw clean.

‘Autotune’ saws also compensate for some reduced air flow, I believe.

Philbert

I've used some 028's and I have to clean them quite frequently.
When a chainsaw starts idling little bit rough or not at all instead of grabbing a screw drive and knob dicking and farting around with the jets, i just clean the air filter and usually the chainsaw is back in business.

This type of info is usually not in the owners manual but when all else fails i also consult the owners manual and if that don't help ask the guys on this forum.:chainsaw:

Old Stihls 028, 440, every time I get back to the shed. Seldom more than 2-3 tanks through the saw, I doubt that's often as it should be done.
Confession; I mostly just blow them off (without removing the elastic band on the 440 filter) keeping the nozzle at 180 degrees to the filter. IE blowing across the mouse hair (screen on the 028) not into it.🤷‍♂️
On my mower I grease the filter/housing flange to trap dirt sneaking around the filter, prolly should on the saws too.

On Stihl (and possibly Husky) thin surface filters (mainlla) I use a SOFT 1" chip brush to remover the big chunks from the outside. Air sideways (parallel to the filter) also will work for this.

If the filter starts looking more clogged I remove it, separate the halves and then spray from the inside out with NON-CHLORINATED brake cleaner. Done properly this will basically restore the filter to new condition provided someone hasn't previously abused it with a tooth brush or similar.

Well the person I talk to at the dealership seemed to know plenty but not what I really needed to know, showed a basket with about 5 different filters that supposedly fit the 562, one filter looked a lot like the one my saw came with they wanted $25 for that one. They didn’t seem to have any upgrade kits like in the video posted earlier, should have taken the serial number along. Think I’m going to keep running the original filter but clean it a lot more often than I had been Cleaning it.

Dawn dish soap. Wash, rinse, let dry.
I used to use Dawn and it works good for getting out the oils and some of the sawdust. However, the water swells the wood dust locking it into the filter material. Brake cleaner works MUCH better as it doesn't swell the wood fibers.

Latest posts

Back