How often do you sharpen your chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wood Doctor
How is this accomplished? Anyone got a picture?
Next time I'm with Andy out in the field, I'll take a snapshot. He sits down. The saw's powerhead is held between his legs and the bar goes over his left shoulder. He sharpens with the file in his right hand. Surprisingly, the angle is just about right. It takes a little practice and I've never mastered it the way he has.

old-cat

old-cat

Fir Man
I don't know why anyone would want to sharpen their chain. All the chain does is pull the cutting teeth!
As soon as you start cutting, the teeth start getting dull, so WHENEVER I want the cutting to speed up, I sharpen or replace.

Chris-PA

Chris-PA

Where the Wild Things Are
Next time I'm with Andy out in the field, I'll take a snapshot. He sits down. The saw's powerhead is held between his legs and the bar goes over his left shoulder. He sharpens with the file in his right hand. Surprisingly, the angle is just about right. It takes a little practice and I've never mastered it the way he has.
Interesting approach. Many of my bars are too short for that and I like a view of the cutter from a different angle.

Wood Doctor
Interesting approach. Many of my bars are too short for that and I like a view of the cutter from a different angle.
Hmmm... Well, Andy is not that tall but he is strong as a gorilla. I don't think either height or strength is much of a factor. Practice does mean a lot, however. I have also made him 4" file handles that I have turned on my lathe, and he says to make no more because they get in the way.

When working full time on a job with big logs, he says that it's not uncommon for him to file sharpen five or six times a day. This largely depends on the species and the tree's condition. Flood-damage trees near the rivers are the worst of them all because of the sand that invades the bark. It dulls the chain faster than greased lightning. And, of course, the harder the wood, the faster that it wears the chain.

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
Hmmm... Well, Andy is not that tall but he is strong as a gorilla. I don't think either height or strength is much of a factor. Practice does mean a lot, however. I have also made him 4" file handles that I have turned on my lathe, and he says to make no more because they get in the way.

When working full time on a job with big logs, he says that it's not uncommon for him to file sharpen five or six times a day. This largely depends on the species and the tree's condition. Flood-damage trees near the rivers are the worst of them all because of the sand that invades the bark. It dulls the chain faster than greased lightning. And, of course, the harder the wood, the faster that it wears the chain.

I worked with an older fellow that was our skidder operator, he filed saws for us with the saw between his knees and the bar up against his left shoulder. His sharpened chains cut very well, he would file our chains for us if we would run mainline out and set the chokers. Was a fair trade off for the younger sawyers.

Gypo Logger

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
I worked with an older fellow that was our skidder operator, he filed saws for us with the saw between his knees and the bar up against his left shoulder. His sharpened chains cut very well, he would file our chains for us if we would run mainline out and set the chokers. Was a fair trade off for the younger sawyers.
Was he French? I've only seen one guy do that before and he was from Quebec.

Wood Doctor
Fabulous post, PioneerGuy. Andy trained his son this past year to operate his skidder. His young son dragged several smaller but tall "immediate firewood" trees to where I could buck them up and carry them away to the splitter. I promise to work with Andy to train his son to sharpen the chains. If his son refuses, I will do it and train myself for the fresh air and yet another chance to help a really good logger earn a living for his family.

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
Was he French? I've only seen one guy do that before and he was from Quebec.

He was from Northern New Brunswick, so yes he was French. He is the only guy I know that does it that way but I heard that others do as well. I was taught the common way with bar horizontal. I really like hand filing, sort of an art to it.

Gypo Logger

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
He was from Northern New Brunswick, so yes he was French. He is the only guy I know that does it that way but I heard that others do as well. I was taught the common way with bar horizontal. I really like hand filing, sort of an art to it.
I guess it's all the same whether the saw is vertical or horizontal.
I wonder. If it's possible to file laying on your back with the saw grasped with one foot and the other foot holding the file with both legs in the air?
I guess it would work but your feet might get cold though.

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
I guess it's all the same whether the saw is vertical or horizontal.
I wonder. If it's possible to file laying on your back with the saw grasped with one foot and the other foot holding the file with both legs in the air?
I guess it would work but your feet might get cold though.

Would take some practice and just a bit of finessing!!

Wood Doctor
I guess it's all the same whether the saw is vertical or horizontal. I wonder. If it's possible to file laying on your back with the saw grasped with one foot and the other foot holding the file with both legs in the air? I guess it would work but your feet might get cold though.
Do you habitually make stupid posts like this one? I doubt it. So much for me posting any Pics of a professional logger with 20 years of experience sharpening a saw chain in the field while working for a living. This is ridiculous and disgusting. 'Nuff said and no icon required.

lambs

lambs

Stihl crazy after all these years
84a9c31db245901793a60f38375f7a2d.jpg

Carry these in my lunch bag every day, just sharpen as necessary

Hey Treesmith, how do you like the Stihl multi-tool? I have one but I'm not crazy about it. I guess if I was in the woods quite a ways from my truck, I'd have it with me though.

Bilge Rat LT 20

Bilge Rat LT 20

ArboristSite Operative
Knowing when to touchup a chain is easy.
About the time you notice that the bleeding has stopped from the last touchup is about right.

Carry a spare loop, a file and a few saws. When those are dull i am ready to take a break. Head to the farm house, sit on the porch and set up the Granburg while the minions stack wood.

Latest posts