How often do you start your saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the risk of sounding like a dumba$$.....how do you filter the premix, Andy?

Just curious because I've been recycling my old fuel and I'd rather use it.

Paper coffee filter inside a funnel. Lots of crap gets in saw tanks over time. Rather trap it in the coffee filter than my $70 injector filter.

Last edited:
The best advice I've found prior to putting away the saw for an extended time say 3 mo. + is to dump all the gas and bar oil out every last drop then pour in some coleman stove & lamp fluid, close caps & shake like crazy then dump it out . Start it cold let it idle till it dies.

Sometimes it's simple...

Paper coffee filter inside a funnel. Lots of crap gets in saw tanks over time. Rather trap it in the coffee filter than my $70 injector filter.

LOL!

...and here I thought you had some sort of ancient chinese secret method of purifying premix :D

Thanks Lake! :cheers:

I forget which two stroke manual I read, but it stated that when your storing your saw or trimmer etc that you should drain the gas tank, then start it up and let it idle until all the gas is removed from the carb. It stated not to rev the engine. This usually takes longer than my patience will allow so I rev it a little until I hear a sputter then I let it idle until it dies. I don't have to worry about a lean condition that way.

As often as possible!

The ones that do not run regularly, I idle dry and store. The ones that do not run regularly but I am not storing I start once every two weeks, if they ever sit that long...

Well,I don't always practice what I preach as far as running the saws dry.Some have set for a year without being started, full of fuel which I dump prior to starting.

My dads old 610 Mac I know sat for 5 or 6 years full of smelly fuel.It fired right up with a tank of new gas. I have a Stihl 042 ,a good runner but dry or full it always begs to have it's carb looked at even after 6 months. That prima donna annoys me.

Well,I don't always practice what I preach as far as running the saws dry.Some have set for a year without being started, full of fuel which I dump prior to starting.

My dads old 610 Mac I know sat for 5 or 6 years full of smelly fuel.It fired right up with a tank of new gas. I have a Stihl 042 ,a good runner but dry or full it always begs to have it's carb looked at even after 6 months. That prima donna annoys me.

:laugh: my dads 610 also has been known for sitting for 5 or 6 years.

Well,I don't always practice what I preach as far as running the saws dry. Some have set for a year without being started, full of fuel which I dump prior to starting.

So did my Mac 610 last week after 3 years of resting. Hard to kill these old beasts. I dump the old fuel in a small mason jar and use that to clean parts and saw housings with a toothbrush and a rag.

Latest posts

Back