How old would you guess it is.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

261cm

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have this old gas can that I still use for my mix. It was my dads can that he used for his chainsaw mix for as long as I can remember. I’m 60, almost 61, but as far back as I can remember he had this. I cleaned it up today to see if I could find a date anywhere on it, and don’t find one. It still works just fine. I positively know it’s over 50 years old.

Attachments

• 0F0EF5F4-C102-4129-81CF-4CA5B10D66A6.jpeg
    0F0EF5F4-C102-4129-81CF-4CA5B10D66A6.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
I have one like that somewhere in my collection of treasures. Prolly had it since the late 70's
If they only made stuff to last like they used to. I always think of pop every time I fill up a saw, weed eater, or blower. I know this one was around before 1975, because I would slip around and get pops gas to put in my 1975 Yamaha dirt bike. Lol. He had it for a few years before that because my older brother did the same thing.

1962 for sure. Still out in the shed somewhere. There's also an Eagle 5 gallon from the woods work back then. Filled the 2 gallon from it to carry along with the 041, axe and wedges.....
There is still a sticker on the backside that I’m pretty sure is a old Walmart sticker. All you can make out is mart on it. I just looked up to see when Walmart first opened, and it was July 1962 in Rogers Arkansas. My family has always lived in this area, and remember going in the first store when I was a little guy. I bet your real close on the age of it.👍

Leaded or non-leaded? Of what octane number was that gasoline?
From my understanding just about every gas station had cans like this available for sale. this was sort of an emergency can if you will didn’t come pre filled the pre mix cans 1 gallon are pretty much the same thing probably made on the same dies only difference is the cap. Think these were made by eagle.

We had several like it, but not quite the same. The one the most similar was from the 1960's

Cool item ! I’m guessing late 60s.The company that made it is located about 4 hours east of us. Homerville,Clinch County was old high school football rival.Be Safe!

I've got one of those in use for 50:1 2 cycle mix. Never thought about it's age until I seen the picture. Mine does not go to the woods, stays in shop for when doing 2 cycle engine repairs refill, etc.
I checked the inside about year ago and clean inside, no rust. (could not believe how shiny it is inside)
Mine has the reversible plastic pour spout. (pour spout will store inside the can)

I've got one of those in use for 50:1 2 cycle mix. Never thought about it's age until I seen the picture. Mine does not go to the woods, stays in shop for when doing 2 cycle engine repairs refill, etc.
I checked the inside about year ago and clean inside, no rust. (could not believe how shiny it is inside)
Mine has the reversible plastic pour spout. (pour spout will store inside the can)

This one has the metal spout that is 2” or 3” long that slides down into can, and then the lid screws on. Mine is good and clean on the inside, and has always had mix in it. The oil probably helped keep them in good shape.

From memory. Dad used to give me a quarter to run down to station to get mower gas in one of those. That was in 70-71 if I recall right.
Haha! And you got a full gallon with that quarter to! I remember the first gas and can of Copenhagen I bought was the same price .25 cents. The dang Copenhagen is higher than the gas now.

Red with white contrasting lettering 1950 's . Red with yellow contrasting lettering early to mid 60's I believe . My grandfather had all white lettering on his fuel cans where as Dads where all yellow lettering :rolleyes: . I had a lot more practice filling up the lawnmower with Dads fuel cans lol.

Back