How to big bore an 036

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshledoux

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Can an 038 magnum kit be dropped on an 036 as a big bore kit? It looks like the strokes are the same and it would boost the saw from a 48 mm diameter to a 52 mm but I'm concerned about wrist pin size and bolt pattern on the jug. Also a little concerned with muffler and carburetor boot fitment. What do you guys think? Has it been done or if not whats the best way to snag a few extra cc's out if this saw and have a little fun doing something original in the process? Will post pictures if I find something that works.

Can an 038 magnum kit be dropped on an 036 as a big bore kit? It looks like the strokes are the same and it would boost the saw from a 48 mm diameter to a 52 mm but I'm concerned about wrist pin size and bolt pattern on the jug. Also a little concerned with muffler and carburetor boot fitment. What do you guys think? Has it been done or if not whats the best way to snag a few extra cc's out if this saw and have a little fun doing something original in the process? Will post pictures if I find something that works.

It has been done, there are threads on here about how it is done and yes there is a lot of customizing work involved.

There is a thread on here that is titled something like "Stihl 037". I remember reading it and it seems there were a lot of modifications to make it work but it did indeed work.

I had this idea myself some 4-5 years ago and actually mocked the whole setup together on an 036 platform. I let the idea slip and some other members jumped on it and got theirs running first. Theirs did not run good enough to encourage me to complete the one I was doing. It was figured out that the case volume was too restrictive on this mod. This could be overcome with a lot more machining and customizing but thought too severe just for a regular saw.

sorry to bring this back from the dead but What machining is required for the extra case volume?

Latest posts

Back