how to break the news of a good saw'a death to a friend

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Definitive Dave

wanna-be saw racer, saw hoarder, parts whore
Reaction score
the voices in my head tell me to buy chainsaws
So a good friend and business associate who is a general contractor asks me to take down eight dead ash trees on his property. Biggest is @80' with a trunk diameter around 4', smallest @120' but only @16" diameter.
He has his smaller backhoe onsite and his crew to chip brush (Vermeer 600) and help him load the lumber in his dump trucks.

We get them all down in about 5 hours nice and safe and proceed to cutting the trunks to 5' or 6' so he can load them easily.

His guys have a pair of orange smaller homeowner type saws that seem to be dull as matte black bowling balls.
We are running 360,361 and 440 on the ground, his guys look real envious :)

So we are packing up to leave and the contractor (i'll call him Charlie 'cause that's his name) ask to borrow one of my saws "in case he needs to make any more cuts". Well.....Charlie is a good guy, we give each other referrals, and use each other for jobs, etc. So I gas and oil up the 361, check chain tension and let my climber put a razor edge on the chain, before sticking the scabbard on and heading home.

Bout a week goes by and I text Charlie saying we are doing another larger tree job and I need the saw. A bit of back and forth and missed connection, but I eventually tell him to just leave it on his back deck and I'll pick it up.

I pick up the saw and text him to let him know I have it back.

30 mins later I receive this cryptic missive by text - CORD IS STICKY?

Hmmmm - what the heck does that mean?

Did Charlie spill Mt. Dew on my saw?

At the next stop I take a peek at the 361 and all looks fine, dull loose chain with very little fuel or oil, so I give it a gentle pull....

CORD IS STICKY? translates to HEY DAVE I LOCKED UP YOUR SAW!

Arghhhhhh!!!!!

So I called him, and half busting his stones, tell him he killed my baby. He volunteers to pay for repairs/replacement, but also says he never used the saw.
My BS detector is ringing like a ship klaxon with incoming torpedos.

I drop the saw at my local Stihl dealer and a few days later they call to tell me it's cheaper to buy a new 362 than to repair old faithful. They of course ask if they should throw it away for me (yikes). I picked it up right away. Shop notes say piston scored and straight gas in tank.

In the end I got it repaired with a BB piston and cylinder for @200.00 all in and picked up a pair of gently used 362s in the meantime. Charlie is pouring me a new garage floor and all is well.

My climber says "no loan your saws to anybody Dave".
Indeed!!

Exactly. dont loan a saw out. I loaned my 260 to my cousin once. he pinched it in a tree and left it overnight! cost me a new bar.

We all live and learn I guess...if and that's not very often I loan a saw out, I leave a gallon of gas and bar oil with the person. And tell them not to put anything in it but what I've left with the saw....its hard to loan out a 5-1000 dollar saw though. I usually give up my least expensive piece....

So I take it your buddy Charlie straight gassed your saw?

My guess is one of his guys did it without his knowledge, sad thing is there was a jug of bar oil and can of two cycle sitting there when I left :(
I think if he had killed it he would have called and told me, but his text was definitely a strange turn of phrase :)

Dave

Looks like it didn't work out too bad in the end.

I agree with everyone else. Either no loaning, or a cheap saw you don't care about. A cheap homeowner saw with a dull chain sucks. A pro saw with a dull chain sucks also, so a homeowner saw with a sharp chain is better than a pro saw with a dull one. Most guys don't keep their chains anywhere near as sharp as necessary. Just giving someone a homeowner saw with a sharp chain, to them is like a pro saw. They're just not used to the sharp chains. Usually...

There is an old saying

$hit happens!

I doubt it was on purpose. So nothing wrong about it. I have a very few people who I call friends and family and I wouldn't mind one second borrowing out a chainsaw to them. Of course I am completely aware that the risk of extreme damage is possible. If something happens I know it wasn't on purpose and I hope the user didn't get hurt. The saw comes way later and can be discussed in a relaxing atmosphere. It ain't the high priority thing for me in that situation.

Others don't come and ask.

standing rules
#1...no saws without me...package deal...( people die if saws are not used carefully) money on the other hand no one uses carefully.

#2... no loaning of money to friends unless it is a gift. if you wont give it away. don't loan it to a friend. you will lose either the money or the friend over it anyway.

it would be hard for me to explain why I loaned a saw to a buddy to his grieving wife and kids. Id have to take the blame for not following standing rules.

I missed something here. When you saw the abysmal condition of the saws his crew was using, and had to assume that they'd have access to your saw, you went ahead with it. As Jeff Dunham's dummy Walter puts it: "Dumbaxx!"

You're just lucky they didn't injure somebody, and the shysters come after you, and your house.

You'll probably do it again within 6 months.

Yeah I found a decent looking 024av that was in parts for $15. There is a big hole in the starter recoil housing and the piston is kind of scored up, but it starts good and runs fairly well with just a few hours of cleanup and assembly time on her. I loaned it out to my brother in law and it came back nasty as can be with a loose dull chain. Tightened the chain, sharpen it up ready for the next relative/friend.

:msp_smile:

I don't loan out anything anymore, maybe that is why I don't have friends anymore?:msp_scared:

There is only one man on the planet that I would loan a saw to.
My Dad, but he passed 7 years ago.. so I am with you Stihl023

For almost every body I know Id rather use the saw myself and do the job for them
I have one maybe two people Id flat out lend a saw to and fully expect it to come back as good as
I just cant afford to buy a new saw
the ones I have are second hand and were mot quite you suck deals but Id be lucky to replace these ones at the same price I got them for and even than Id have trouble scrapping up the money

Latest posts

Back