How to find a good climber for a side job?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarlP

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm a self-taught advanced amateur in need of an expert.

For the last 15+ years, my family/close friends have come to me to take their limbs/trees down. I have gradually accumulated the skills, saws (30cc tophandle, 50cc, 85cc, Hayate, Sugoi, chainsaw on a rope, etc), climbing gear (New Tribe with Blake's on a split tail DRT or spikes), basic rigging gear (bull rope, small winch, older port-a-wrap, etc), and ways to get rid of wood (Bandit 65, hydraulic splitter, stove, insert, and outdoor fire pit).

There have been several trees I've suggested my friends/family get someone with a crane because they were WAY beyond me. Right now I want to get rid of some trees on my own property that don't need a crane for removal, but several of them need skills, experience, and balls (primary power lines scare me) that are beyond me. I'm hoping I don't need to spend 1000s on a full service tree company for a job I can almost do myself for 10s.

Two of my neighbors suggested a climber they used, but then one suggested I make sure he does the job before noon before he is too buzzed and the other neighbor mentioned he doesn't have insurance. I'm willing to pay more than that for my and their safety!

Looking to get the trees on the ground safely and at fairly low cost. Being neat, being able to work without my help, or being on a tight schedule are not requirements. So how does one find an insured sober climber that is both willing to do a chop-and-drop leave-a-mess job and also has the skills to get my trees without taking out themselves, the utility lines to the house, the primaries, deck, house, other trees I want to keep, etc?

In near Nashua NH/Lowell MA if it makes a difference.

See if there is a utility crew (Asplundh, Davey, Wolf etc) working in your area and see if one of the climbers wan'ts a side job.

Talk to a full service company on what you need. If all you want is a drop and leave, then they will give you a price for that. May be a little more than a side job cowboy, but you get insurance. To reduce the price a bit, have them leave you a peg that is below the power lines. You can then block down the rest.

I was under the impression that contract climbers usually had their own liability and workmans comp. Maybe I was wrong.

I was under the impression that contract climbers usually had their own liability and workmans comp. Maybe I was wrong.
Contract climbers do in a lot of cases, most have a biz name of some sort. A contract climber is not a guy doing a side job tho.. that's his job

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Normally they have property damage and waived comp because workers comp will not cover the owner.
If they waived comp as owner of business like I did, you should not be liable unless you yourself do something which damages or injures someone. I'm not a lawyer though but my insurance lady said my customers are not liable for my untimely demise!

See if there is a utility crew (Asplundh, Davey, Wolf etc) working in your area and see if one of the climbers wan'ts a side job.

Talk to a full service company on what you need. If all you want is a drop and leave, then they will give you a price for that. May be a little more than a side job cowboy, but you get insurance. To reduce the price a bit, have them leave you a peg that is below the power lines. You can then block down the rest.

Yup, and you might find a friend or mentor in the process,
Jeff

To bad your not closer to Michigan. Id find a good solid reputable climber and check the insurance. Alot of contract climbers have insurance but are not required comp ins because there the (sole proprietor) of there company meaneing they have 0 employes. Or there employes are (volunteer workers) cash under the table.. good luck and stay safe

So what happens when a contract climber, who doesn't have workers comp insurance because it's not required as a sole proprietor), falls and hurts himself on your property. Is the climber on the way to the poor house, or is he going to sue the homeowner?

So what happens when a contract climber, who doesn't have workers comp insurance because it's not required as a sole proprietor), falls and hurts himself on your property. Is the climber on the way to the poor house, or is he going to sue the homeowner?
I don't deal with contract climbers but in the case of my dad's carpentry business he has to have a work comp policy even when he is the only employee, otherwise the general contractors get hit with comp on all money paid to him, but he is exempt when the insurance co. does their audit the policy is free if he has no employees but at the beginning of the policy he still has to put up 600 or 800 bucks that would be used towards the actual cost of comp but he gets it as a refund then puts it toward the next year's policy. And he has no recourse if he gets hurt a homeowners policy would do nothing. The general contractor or homeowner gets a valid policy cert so they are clear. The sole proprietor's coverage is between him and his insurance company.

When you guys pay contract climbers do you pay "Billy bobs contract tree choppers" or do you pay "Billy bob"? If their is no business receiving the money you are most likely liable and required to cover your contract climber on your work comp if you pay a company for services provided and don't have a work comp insurance cert from them your insurance co. Can and if they are doing their job probably will see it and will charge you comp on it.

Long story short if you have somebody working on your job site they are your liability until they hand you a valid policy.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Im unsure of that outcome. I do know that allot of the liability insurance also inclued med expenses and personal/adv injury. I know my med expenses coverage is $80000 and the personal/adv injury is $1.2 million thats on a 2.4 million dollar policy. So i would think that a contract climber is covered. Ive never had any issues with my coverage with anyone. Home owners or companys or general contractors that ive worked for. Hope that helps.
Joe

Back