How to Prevent Black Walnut Trees Walnuts From Growing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malbert

Reaction score
My neighbor has a beautiful Black Walnut Tree that unfortunately needs to be trimmed back every few years because it keeps growing back over my backyard patio and garage. When the Walnuts start to mature the squirrels go crazy and make a mess that need to be cleaned up at least once a week. You also need to be wary of nut falling on your head when barbequing or sitting on the deck.

The past couple of years the tree has been growing walnuts every other year. This year was a good year but I'm anticipating next year to be not so good. So I'm looking for a solution to prevent the walnuts from growing every year.

If there are not proven solutions I'm thinking I my have to ask my neighbor to cut the tree down.

My neighbor has a beautiful Black Walnut Tree that unfortunately needs to be trimmed back every few years because it keeps growing back over my backyard patio and garage. When the Walnuts start to mature the squirrels go crazy and make a mess that need to be cleaned up at least once a week. You also need to be wary of nut falling on your head when barbequing or sitting on the deck.

The past couple of years the tree has been growing walnuts every other year. This year was a good year but I'm anticipating next year to be not so good. So I'm looking for a solution to prevent the walnuts from growing every year.

If there are not proven solutions I'm thinking I my have to ask my neighbor to cut the tree down.
upload_2016-8-27_17-19-54.png

There is a product called Snipper that can limit nut pruduction. It has to be injected into the root flair of the tree. Available through tree stuff.
Timing has to be perfect for injecting but it will work if you time it just right.

This sounds like a "highly valuable black walnut tree." If you miss your window to treat the tree and if your neighbor refuses to trim the tree, do local or state laws allow you to trim it if it grows over your property?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I liver that close to somebody, "i'd be movin" they must be only 20-30 ft. away ????

This sounds like a "highly valuable black walnut tree." If you miss your window to treat the tree and if your neighbor refuses to trim the tree, do local or state laws allow you to trim it if it grows over your property?

Yes, local laws would allow me to trim any limbs growing over the property line. If I could find a solution to the walnut production, I would prefer that option. Yes I read that black walnut trees have some value for the cabinet and hardwood furniture craftsmen folks, but I'm not sure how to go about that. Anyway it would require my neighbor to agree. I saw another thread about an injectable product call 'Snippet' so I will ask the local tree business guys about that. Thanks for the post.

There is a product called Snipper that can limit nut pruduction. It has to be injected into the root flair of the tree. Available through tree stuff.
Timing has to be perfect for injecting but it will work if you time it just right.
Thanks, I will keep that in mind as a possible solution. Looks like it need to be injected in the Spring.

Yup. Several of them and they're all worth watching for a good laugh. I didn't know but am not surprised an AS'er came up with them.

I stand corrected. I searched for them and there were a bunch of other similar-style videos relating to gun stores, why Glocks are bad, etc. the one you posted above was the only one I could find related to tree stuff. Apologies for any confusion.

I stand corrected. I searched for them and there were a bunch of other similar-style videos relating to gun stores, why Glocks are bad, etc. the one you posted above was the only one I could find related to tree stuff. Apologies for any confusion.

Were the gun videos made by the same person> If so, can you post a link to them?

Back