How to remove an ms 290 cylinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well this looks like more trouble than it's worth. I was gonna practice my porting skills. I guess it'll be going in the trading post. Thanks
I'd definitely not start with a clamshell saw. They're much harder to get to the ports. Also, I find that the smaller the cylinder, the harder they are too. Start with a good sized pro saw with relatively easy to find cylinders.

It takes a couple hours to get one out your first time. Not a biggie. I have one. It's worth doing.
The bar stud doesn't always come out by double nutting or with vise grips. Or with 2 pairs of vise grips for that matter. It's no biggie. If it won't come out, leave it in. Port it and put it back together.

I'd definitely not start with a clamshell saw. They're much harder to get to the ports. Also, I find that the smaller the cylinder, the harder they are too. Start with a good sized pro saw with relatively easy to find cylinders.
Thanks Brad, I did a husky 445 which was real easy to remove the jug and I also did a 353 with a hyway 346 top end that worked out pretty good. I'll wait till something else drops on my lap.

Watch out for that bar stud. If you plan on removing it then you should be sure to have a new replacement at hand because you'll likely need it. Sometimes that loctite glue Stihl uses actually works too good and that stud will get destroyed while removing.

That does look rather convincing!

This is a good idea and adirondack Stihl deserves a pat on the back. I see nothing but advantages to leave the cap in the saw and forgo taking that stud out. They won't come out easily with anything but a pipe wrench and then requires a $7 replacement. Even LocTite red is not as good as the oem thread lock.

For guys who want to pull the base, Stihl makes a pretty great tool for removing studs, it grips the entire length of the stud threads. Looks dirt simple, but works. On mg cased saws you can get both studs out in 15-20 seconds, On the plastic saws using a power tool will melt and mangle the threads but you can get them out cleanly most of the time using a long handles breaker bar (slow and steady).
OP if you want a larger cylinder to practice grinding on, let me know, I am sure I have something laying around :)
DDave

For guys who want to pull the base, Stihl makes a pretty great tool for removing studs, it grips the entire length of the stud threads. Looks dirt simple, but works. On mg cased saws you can get both studs out in 15-20 seconds, On the plastic saws using a power tool will melt and mangle the threads but you can get them out cleanly most of the time using a long handles breaker bar (slow and steady).
OP if you want a larger cylinder to practice grinding on, let me know, I am sure I have something laying around :)
DDave

looks like there might be a few options for that tool. Anybody got a retail price on it ?

Attachments

• Stud puller MS 290 series.pdf
    96.1 KB · Views: 26

Latest posts

Back