How to screw up a rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmetalbend

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Here's the story. I rebuilt MS310 new everything, carb,crank,seals,oiler,clutch,sprocket,fuel line,impulse line, spark plug. rings, circlips,piston. and so on. I took it out yesterday to feild test. It ran Excellent for about ten minutes. WTF check over everything. Finally took the carb back apart. Found a little what I thought was dirt in the main needle Screen. Not much but alittle alarming (It's new and all). Switch carbs to what I thought was a good one just to try after I put it toghther. Ran about a minute. And again crapped out but even worse. Took it apart (the test carb) thinking just maybe I messed that up. Well it was full of the same dark looking substance. OK I have contaminated fuel or somthing. Not the case. As I pulled the fuel line out I noticed the filter looked discolored and rememberd that I hadn't replaced that. put it up to a light and sure enough full of ****. Apparently the dark substance was a foam element that dissintegrated. Check out the pic. Flushed the new carb, line and just stuck the line back in No filter. Varoom runs fine. Lesson here----Don't skimp on a 2$ part.

Here's the story. I rebuilt MS310 new everything, carb,crank,seals,oiler,clutch,sprocket,fuel line,impulse line, spark plug. rings, circlips,piston. and so on. I took it out yesterday to feild test. It ran Excellent for about ten minutes. WTF check over everything. Finally took the carb back apart. Found a little what I thought was dirt in the main needle Screen. Not much but alittle alarming (It's new and all). Switch carbs to what I thought was a good one just to try after I put it toghther. Ran about a minute. And again crapped out but even worse. Took it apart (the test carb) thinking just maybe I messed that up. Well it was full of the same dark looking substance. OK I have contaminated fuel or somthing. Not the case. As I pulled the fuel line out I noticed the filter looked discolored and rememberd that I hadn't replaced that. put it up to a light and sure enough full of ****. Apparently the dark substance was a foam element that dissintegrated. Check out the pic. Flushed the new carb, line and just stuck the line back in No filter. Varoom runs fine. Lesson here----Don't skimp on a 2$ part.

I've done it also. That foam on the Stihl filters is really fine when it degenerates and gets everywhere it should not be. Thanks though, now I don't feel so all alone! After the first time, all filters are changed when ever I pick up a used saw, no matter what. Perhaps it's a pain but, it is certainly better than rebuilding a carb for no good reason and cheap in the long run.

The lucky part was the fact, I had a fella gonna come out to test( And buy) it this weekend. And he couldn't make it. I just took it along for a backup to another test Run.

Apparently the dark substance was a foam element that dissintegrated. Check out the pic. Flushed the new carb, line and just stuck the line back in No filter. Varoom runs fine. Lesson here----Don't skimp on a 2$ part.

I'm fixing an old Solo saw. Found the exact same thing. Rep for posting helpful info.

Back