How to Sell a Saw for Best Price?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gareth83

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Any tips? Just clean up? Paint the bar? New chain?

What have you found gets more money for your saws come sale time?

If you're selling on ebay;
-keep the bar and chain if in good order and you have use for them as a spare, doesn't make that much difference in price.
-some tyre shine on the top covers, general cleaning elsewhere.
-detailed description.
-lots of pictures, video of it running is a bonus.
-end the auction on a Sunday about 7:00 pm

Last edited:
29032011218.jpg

29032011219.jpg

These 2 in particular

If your selling on ebay;
-keep the bar and chain if in good order and you have use for them as a spare, doesn't make that much difference in price.
-detailed description.

Great advice, although here having an auction end Friday, Saturday, or Sunday evening is good. One thing to be aware of- there's more and more non-paying bidders these days, so keep a very close eye on the bidding and watch for zero-feedback bidders. The last two saws I've listed both ended with the winning bidders not following through and I had to re-list.

If your selling on ebay;
-detailed description.
Good advice JD! Also don't forget to use this tool:
http://labs.ebay.com/erl/demoto/to
Don't forget to include words like the saw's Brand (and don't misspell it!) the word "chainsaw" the model number, etc.
One of the best ways to lose money on an ebay auction is to misspell or omit important words in your header, eBay's search engine won't be able to find it.

Oh yeah i forgot you had that 039 with the flippy caps (original not frankensaw).

Edit;
I think you might be one of the only ones on this site!

Last edited:
I agree with everything here as I just sold 3 saws on the bay. From experience start them at 99p or 99cents this way people are brought in and are hooked they then think of what they can bid up to then some more, once youve got them you almost have a sale.

Dont end the auction at 4 in the morning on a wednesday night nobodys up.

If you have to put a reserve on it although pricey its worth it for not selling your saw for a ridiculousy low price

Great advice, although here having an auction end Friday, Saturday, or Sunday evening is good. One thing to be aware of- there's more and more non-paying bidders these days, so keep a very close eye on the bidding and watch for zero-feedback bidders. The last two saws I've listed both ended with the winning bidders not following through and I had to re-list.

Same. 2 non-payers in the last 3 things Ive sold on there! madness.

If your selling on ebay;
-detailed description.

Are you saying to keep the bar and chain and just sell power unit only? What type of tyre shine do you use?

Worth adding extra numbers to title? Eg. 'MS290 not 029 039 MS390' etc?

If your selling on ebay;
-detailed description.

Excellent advice! Give the man a beer.

Double/large falling dawgs and an oversized bar help bring in top dollar IMO. Even if they are totally useless on a certain saw. lol

I've never sold any on ebay but a few on craigslist. Most important thing is to really clean the saw, it makes it seem like it hasn't seen much use. Best thing is to buy dirty Stihl saws at decent deal and then you spend an hour really cleaning them and sell them for right below new! Lotta people out there willing to pay more for clean stuff. Just make sure it runs well, and only take cash.

Well, it does depend on the saw and the time of year, but sometimes the best financial option is to break down the saw into parts. With every "runner" I sell, I am reminded that parts are far, far less risky. You just never know what ninny will buy your saw, do whatever he does with it, and call you back with some complaint.

Alot of nonpaying bidders out there. What do you guys do when they don't pay?

Report the non payer to Ebay and relist the saw, state in the ad what happened so other bidders know what happened. I have been real lucky, never had a non payer on a saw and I've sold plenty. Now, people taking the time to leave feedback........that's another story.

If you're selling on ebay;
-detailed description.

Very sound advice! I use to hang on those Sunday evenings, but not anymore. Ending on Sunday is more critical in the warmer months, but here in the winter I have had good luck Mon-Wed.
I only sell saws PHO (powerhead only). Saves a bit on shipping, little less hassle.

Rep to ya JD!

I agree with everything here as I just sold 3 saws on the bay. From experience start them at 99p or 99cents this way people are brought in and are hooked they then think of what they can bid up to then some more, once youve got them you almost have a sale.

Dont end the auction at 4 in the morning on a wednesday night nobodys up.

If you have to put a reserve on it although pricey its worth it for not selling your saw for a ridiculousy low price

I've tried the reserve thing..I've heard since that many people won't bid on something that has a reserve. My Husqvarna never reached the $100 reserve but the next week or so I listed again without reserve and it sold for $150. Best to wait until they offer free listings and list slightly below what your reserve might be. That's how I'm doing it anyway.

I might add that selling a saw on ebay is a good thing to do if you have low blood pressure. I've had several sales that made my blood pressure soar! There is a large chance you'll run into a goofball on ebay. I've sold perfectly good saws and had the buyer complain about them not running or whatnot. Some people shouldn't own a chainsaw if they can't figure out how to start one or what kind of fuel to put in them. Sometimes they straight-gas them then want you to take it back because it lost compression. If you don't take it back they report it to ebay and they jerk the money out of your account anyway and you may never see the money again or the saw. I've sold between 50 and 100 saws on ebay and I'm considering not selling any more at that site. I may try Craigslist or a local selling site here in Indiana. I'm down to about two dozen or so saws anyway, may just call them my collection and keep them.

I got your back, mang. Just follow these simple instructions:

Go to the pawn shop(yeah, I know, they prolly don't have em in Wales. And if they did, it would prolly be called a DWYYDDNYRDSHOPPE. But, anyways, go in. Make sure to try this first with a "Wild Thing". Place the saw on the counter. At which point they are gonna condescendingly say, "Can ya remove it from the glass and put it on the carpeted part of the counter, please?". They will ask you if you want a loan or cash. Say, "Cash, Mate" even if it's a woman. She will then go to get a book that supposedly has the value of used tools. This isn't really what it is. It is the exact same book they use on everything else - most likely a cook book. They are using it to pretend as though they know what they are talking about in order to basically rob you to your face. Well, when she reaches under the counter for that cook book, you put your hand into your pocket. When she comes back up, pull out your hand and point the revolver at her and softly, but firmly, state "I'll take everything in the till, please. Oh, and chunk in that stupid cook book as well. Nobody act like a hero - nobody get shot." At this point she'll probably say something like, "That explains why you're wearing that President Obama mask". Just nod and take the cash. OK, now, you haven't forgotten to have someone waiting with a car running, right? Run for it, dodge the bullets, and burn the car later and transfer into a different stolen car - the one with the bumper sticker that says, "My Other Stolen Car Is On Fire".

Just make sure you try that at a Welsh pawn shop, coz yer accent is gonna really stick out otherwise. Ever hear Lee Mack make fun of Rob Bryden's accent?

YouTube - ‪Would I Lie To You Series 4 Episode 9.‬‏ go to 10:44 for Lee Mack, but watch the whole thing for the craic.

Latest posts

Back