how well does your splitter start in freezing weather?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im still trying to figure out why anyone would want to be out in anything under 20 degrees. Any work i got can wait til warmer weather, screw that.

I don't know why anyone would want to work on there wood pile when it is above 20* I hate sweating. When I used to split wood with a maul around zero was a nice temperature to split wood in. as long as the wind wasn't bad.

Im still trying to figure out why anyone would want to be out in anything under 20 degrees. Any work i got can wait til warmer weather, screw that.

Some of us cannot stand to be indoors for much more than a day.

My splitter runs well after having coffee and breakfast. Starts right up.

Put me in the...starting fluid any time below 50°...category. I've got a SpeeCo 34T with a pile of garbage Techcumse 9hp engine that has never started worth a damn. It has resisted all my attempts over the years at pushing a rod out the side with liberal ether use.

I've got a 12hp propane Honda with electric start waiting to be retrofitted from a power trowel I acquired.

Bundled up appropriately, I find just as much enjoyment in working outside as during warmer weather.

Granted, it's not a log splitter, but my Allis Chalmers garden tractor with 42" snowblower really runs nicely, and starts well, with 5w30 oil in the crankcase. It does have a hydrostat, but that fluid is fairly thin.

Are you using ethanol free gas and a multi-grade light oil like 5w30 for your engine? Also if you are doing a lot of winter splitting, a thin hydraulic fluid or ATF.

My splitter is one I built using a "Greyhound" engine from Harbor Freight. I haven't had a problem but then most of my splitting is done in >30° temperature & a lot of it in temps > 80°. I have an oil cooler as a result & have to cover it during the winter or my hydraulic fluid won't warm up.

I was always taught starting fluid/ether was for diesel engines only but you could use carburetor cleaner for gas engines.

In an earlier post it was mentioned to turn off the fuel whenever moving moving the splitter around if it is not running. How true! If not my splitter will flood every time.

When i was a kid we had several Tecumseh engines on mowers, tillers, water pumps, ... never had a major problem with them. My father was very disappointed when they went out of business.

Are you using ethanol free gas...
...most of my splitting is done in >30° temperature & a lot of it in temps > 80°.

Ethanol blended fuel will for sure make small engines harder to start in cold weather... it's a high octane fuel, and as it gets colder it gets even harder to ignite.

If your splitting firewood in temperatures over 80° your a better man than me... 70° is my cut-off point for anything firewood related.
I prefer it something under 60°, under 50° is even better... saw dust, wood chips, shredded bark and sweat just don't mix well in my world.

I usually end up going a lot when the weather is below 20 as my ill prepared friends never seem to have enough wood for the winter. I end up working their tails off in the summer for pay back! I have to keep my splitter in the shop, or it would never start. It has a 28 gal/min hydro pump on it and with all that cold fluid it just wont turn over fast enough when it is that thick.

It is expensive but for hydraulic fluid in any temp. specially the cold ATF is the way to go. I normally don't work on wood if I can help it when it is above 60*

Just curious if others have problems or if its just mine. I recently bought a used 21 ton splitter with a 5 hp Tecumseh motor, if its real cold it absolutely will not start. I put a little electric heater under it yesterday morning for about 20-25 minutes and it fired right up. Once its warmed up it will fire first pull every time, I just don't have much patience for something that won't start when I need it too.

Make sure you have 10W oil in the splitter. Also run 5w30 in the engine will make a world of difference. Put the choke on and pull it 5 or 6 times, even if it hits, when it starts set the idle as low as it will go with out dying. Go in the house for about 15 min, and let the engine and hydraulic heat up.

"When I used to split wood with a maul around zero was a nice temperature to split wood in. as long as the wind wasn't bad."

I aint going anywhere at zero, unless the house is on fire and then only grudgingly. If God wanted me out in that he'd of given me fur.

"When I used to split wood with a maul around zero was a nice temperature to split wood in. as long as the wind wasn't bad."

I aint going anywhere at zero, unless the house is on fire and then only grudgingly. If God wanted me out in that he'd of given me fur.

Maybe you should move to Florida, instead of being a shut-in.

I pick my spots and git er done when the suns shining. Besides, trying to work in 3 ft of snow holds no appeal.
I like the seasons here in wisconsin, cept for winter.

13 horse Honda will start within 5 pulls everytime, even splitting at 12 degrees. The last 2 weekends Ive noticed that the ram will not go in reverse, at all, until it has warmed up for 10-15 min.

My 35 ton huskee with a B&S 11 HP,16 GPM pump starts with no more than 3 pulls down to 0*.Haven't tried it colder than that.

Switched to 5w-40 synthetic rotella in my generator with the HM 100 Tecumseh on it, hoping to get it to start easier when cold. It's a bear to pull start anyways, figured I could use the help of the thinner oil. Been running it in the JD rider, even in the summer months.

I swore off synthetics as a waste of money, but after running full synthetic Suzuki 10w-40 in the king quad, I noticed the fan did not kick on near as much.

I switched the ol' 250 quadrunner to the rotella too, since it gets run in both the winter and summer. Never had a problem with it starting...

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

I keep a heat lamp on the hydro tank in this weather.
The Honda gx gets the low throttle start routine and stays there for several minutes, like someone else mentioned.
I love getting out of doors in this weather and I do, rather I have to or not.

mine starts pretty easy. swisher with b&s engine...... always starts on the fifth pull, when first starting, no matter the temp outside.

Ive got the swisher 28 ton with the briggs vanguard 10 horse. Mine does have the kickout clutch pulley to make for easier starting when cold. 3 pulls usually fires it up, and switching to atf in the hydraulic system will make easier starting in the cold.

Latest posts

Back